News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Promotional Idea that Gets Results

Started by George Hacker, September 13, 2012, 05:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

Since I have been doing promotions for Project Appleseed in the NW region, we have tried a promotional approach that has produced some outstanding results.  We send an instructor or a pair of instructors to a gun club meeting to explain what Project Appleseed is.  Here's how it works:

First, contact the gun club secretary and ask for an opportunity to present Project Appleseed to the club board.  You aren't asking to use their range.  You aren't asking for a fundraiser or an endorsement.  You just want to tell them more about Project Appleseed to raise awareness to them and their membership.

If you get on the agenda, be on time, dress nicely, take some extra targets with you, and tell them what Project Appleseed is.  Key things to emphasize - non-profit 100% volunteer, safety, safety, safety, rifle marksmanship, family friendly, LEO and military free, and Revolutionary War history.  After talking about all the gun stuff, I like to tell a 3-5 minute condensation of the story of Isaac Davis.  I finish things off with a brief benediction about saving the country and restoring America back to the gun culture that it used to be.  "Thank you for giving us an opportunity to tell you more about Project Appleseed, do you have any questions?  We would be happy to answer any that you have."

We have gotten a few shooters from clubs at our events because of this approach.  Once they experience an Appleseed, the word of mouth continues to spread back at the club when they get back.  Some clubs have offered to help us locate DARs.  These clubs typically don't have their own ranges (one such club is a gun collector's organization).  They have also offered to donate money on the spot and we give them the contact information for the RWVA so they can get a receipt.  A few clubs have offered us the use of their range for Appleseed events.  In any case the news of Project Appleseed spreads and the "buzz" about our program spreads.

I encourage you to reach out to the gun clubs in your neighborhood and introduce them to Project Appleseed.  You never know what will come of it.  And you don't have to be a green hat or a red hat to do this.  Theophilus and I started doing this sort of thing when we were orange hats.  I know of a range in Montana that hosts Appleseed events that are close to selling out because one person took the initiative to reach out to them and explain what Appleseed is to their club.  The rest is, as they say, history.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

George Hacker

Oh, I forgot that you don't need a hat to do this kind of thing.  We just had our first shoot in Eagle Creek/Estacada/Douglas Ridge in two years because a motivated "friend of Appleseed" approached his range, went before the board, and presented Appleseed to his leadership.  His initial presentation led to further discussion with Appleseed volunteers and it got us an invitation back to the range.

Since then, he has taken an orange hat and is well on his way to a red hat.  Reach out and get 'er done.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

TruTenacity

Nice work, George!  I like the approach. 

When you say, "Gun Club", you aren't necessarily meaning a range, but an actual "club" that gets together to shoot, right?

Maybe we'll be able to find clubs like that in our area and give it a try.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

George Hacker

Quote from: TruTenacity on September 13, 2012, 06:09:06 PM
Nice work, George!  I like the approach. 

When you say, "Gun Club", you aren't necessarily meaning a range, but an actual "club" that gets together to shoot, right?

Maybe we'll be able to find clubs like that in our area and give it a try.

Actually when I referred to gun clubs, I meant both those with ranges and those without.  When you finish with Isaac Davis and talk about posterity and liberty, they usually respond with "how can we help?".  I tell them to come out to an event and bring friends, help us find a place to hold an event, and tell others about us.  Many gun clubs have board members that belong to different clubs.  Clubs with a range start asking insurance and instructor training questions.  At that point it is clear they are thinking about hosting an event.

Keep it simple.  Go in without any expectations, tell them who we are and what we are trying to do.  If they are a kindred spirit and love liberty, they will usually offer us help or will come out and see what we are about.

Hmmm, this brings up an idea.  What if we offer to tell the First Strike at a general membership meeting?  We could give them a taste of our history and leave them on Lexington Green.  If they want to hear the rest, then "come ye to an Appleseed."

alkeford

This is how LprgcFrank came to my club NCCSC in PA and I was Bit by the AS bug I've sence moved to Fl and have been Burning up the trail ever since Thanks LprgcFrank and Chainsaw for making my first event a memorable one. I just celebrated my 1 year aniversery with the program.
Thank you all for your servie

Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.