News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet, MI AAR, September 15-16, 2012

Started by SteelThunder, September 13, 2012, 04:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Tired SBIT, happy SBIT.

Fantastic group of 16 Americans came out on a picture-perfect (pre-)fall Michigan day (low 70s, no humidity, no wind) to soak up instruction in marksmanship and American heritage.

We had a rifleman minted (no...actually forged...Sandy BLEW THREW with a 234) and we have at least 4-5 shooters solidly knocking on the door with high 190s, low 200s. 

Young shooters who were attentive, safe and improved.  Day 1 is in the books and looking forward to day 2.

And since the dog was home alone all day, here's what I came home to...

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

tomahawk

It was fantastic weather as you said. The instructors were incredible, and I met some fantastic folks on the firing line. SW Michigan is a great place to learn how to be a rifleman, or to practice rounding up cattle.

SteelThunder

Day 2 - what can I say...

It started out with my trip to the range.  Chilly morning, headed east on a narrow tree-lined country lane, trees overhanging, pastures blanketed with morning fog, and the sun just breaking over the horizon.  Coulda sworn I could see a long line of Redcoats with gleaming bayonets on the march from Boston...

Again, picture perfect weather.  Lessee what we had
+ Incredibly motivated students (have you ever seen students refuse to go to lunch so they could stay and score their AQTs?)
+ Good laughs, camaraderie and history all around
+ 4 riflemen minted!
+ 3 new Bluehats!
+ Smacking steel with AR15s and M1As over at the 200 yard range for KD
+ Ripping through a belt of .308 on an M1919A4

Wait, what was that?  M1919?  Oh, yeah, the winners of our fun shoot got to put some rounds downrange on a M1919A4 BMG - semi-auto with a crank.  Sort of a modern-day Gatling gun  Good fun...THE SOUND OF FREEDOM!

Click Here for a Video of the M1919

Congratulations Sandy, John, Kevin and Goon on your Riflemen score!  Good job men and we look forward to having you come back.  Julie, Jo, Phyllis - ladies your perseverance and improvement were a model for all to follow.  Maddie, Madie, Brian, Vince - it was great to have such attentive and enthusiastic youth on the firing line...love it (although I can still beat you down to the target line).  John, Tom, Dennis, Jeff, Kevin - as always gentlemen, it was an honor to be with you during the weekend.  For those of you who haven't hit "the score" you are on the path so DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE!

Jo, Phyllis, Maddie -- THANK YOU for taking Blue Hats!  Western Michigan will benefit greatly from your help!

Here's some pics from the weekend:

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

tomahawk

SteelThunder (plays well with others),
Congratulations on earning your Green Hat. You ROCK! I really enjoyed smacking the steel at 200 yards. Thanks for sharing your steel, iron and knowledge. Cranking your M1919A4 beast was a blast. Happiness is a belt fed weapon. Your photographs are excellent as well.

mac66

Wow, 4 Riflemen and 3 Blue Hats. Looks like the seeds have started to grow in SW Michigan. ^:)^

Hey, I recognize some of the shooters but who is the instructor with the grey fuzz on his face? ???

And holy moly, who is that skinny Green Hat?
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Grindstone

What a great weekend, and a great bunch of shooters.

A few more pictures:

SteelThunder

Quote from: mac66 on September 17, 2012, 10:30:20 AM
And holy moly, who is that skinny Green Hat?

I don't know but he can get in sitting a lot easier now...
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

nobunaga

I just want to give a big shout-out to all the instructors this weekend...
Gentlemen, you guys are not only excellent teachers, historians, and speakers, but truly inspirational individuals.
The amount of personal time, expense, time away from family, effort you put into the study of your subject... Not to mention how much of yourselfs you put into each and every student, is remarkable.
I know you guys know that your students appreciate what you do, but I not sure you realize how much we appreciate each and everyone of you for doing it.
Thank you for be our instructors gentlemen.

SteelThunder

Thanks for the kind words nobunga (is that you, Dennis?)

Shooters and instructors alike are exhausted at the end of a shoot.  But comments like yours, and seeing students soak in the history, "get" a marksmanship concept, or stay after a shoot to talk, makes it all worthwhile.

Looking forward to seeing you at the next event!

ST
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

sewiv

Thanks very much to the instructors for sticking around on Saturday to let me shoot a second AQT.  My, ummm, targeting error on the first one was very annoying, and since I wasn't able to make it on Sunday, it was a relief to have a chance to redeem myself, rather than leave patchless again.

Oh, and I did manage to limp the car all the way back across the state on Sunday, in only 5 and a half hours.  Woohoo.

--
Sandy

SteelThunder

We missed you on Sunday, Sandy.  You missed 3 more riflemen, a fun shoot, smacking steel at the 200 yard range and a chance to run a belt of 30 cal through my Browning M1919A4! 

Oh well, need to get you to the next one...
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Superheat

Sandy,
Seems Dr. Schrödinger would be a better screen name.  Congrats again. Perhaps the cat was good luck.?

Peter

SteelThunder

If that's true, I may need to get a necklace with a dead (or possibly alive?) cat to wear around...

Quote from: Superheat on September 18, 2012, 11:19:28 AM
Sandy,
Seems Dr. Schrödinger would be a better screen name.  Congrats again. Perhaps the cat was good luck.?

Peter
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

sewiv

I need to hit Rifleman with the AR now, and then the bolt gun.

SteelThunder

October 20-21 at Bend of the River in Niles MI.  Hint, Hint, Hint, Hint....
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

nobunaga

Once my body heals from Mike's punishing AQT pace, I'm going to get out and practice what I was taught.  THEN, I will be back out there to earn that patch.  Besides, I can't remember any of the names from our history lessons (that's got to be poor teaching there... Can't be my memory)... What was I saying...

Yeah, Steel it's me.  How did you even guess that?

SteelThunder

Quote from: nobunaga on September 18, 2012, 03:07:13 PM
Once my body heals from Mike's punishing AQT pace, I'm going to get out and practice what I was taught.  THEN, I will be back out there to earn that patch.  Besides, I can't remember any of the names from our history lessons (that's got to be poor teaching there... Can't be my memory)... What was I saying...

Yeah, Steel it's me.  How did you even guess that?

Yes, he was cracking the whip on Sunday...  ~~:)

Your location gave it away...and I'm holding you to coming back.  Don't forget, Niles MI at Bend of the River on October 20-21.  Keep going while it's fresh!!  :~   ..:..

Plus -- cool name!  http://www.samurai-archives.com/nobunaga.html
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

nobunaga

No can do brother... Got a pistol class all day Saturday.

But, fret not my son... "I'll be back!"
That was too cliche wasn't it?  Got to freshen up my material.

Superheat

lowrider12

I love that AQT pace!   ^:)^ ~~:)

Thanks again to a great group of instructors.  Congrats to Steel on his Green hat.  A surprise appearance from Santa Burbs bearing gifts of football tix.  Thanks to all the Blue Hats.  Thanks to the scouts for the lunches.  Thanks to the range for having us.

I am going to an IL Appleseed this coming weekend (Sun only) to see if I can bust through that 210 barrier.  Wish me luck

SteelThunder

Quote from: nobunaga on September 18, 2012, 05:42:10 PM
No can do brother... Got a pistol class all day Saturday.

But, fret not my son... "I'll be back!"
That was too cliche wasn't it?  Got to freshen up my material.

Nobunaga

Are you taking one of Keith Hafer's classes?  I have taken a defensive pistol, defensive shotgun and defensive carbine class from him.  He's pretty good - long time SWAT instructor and currently teaches at the nuke plants and Berrien Springs' police department.  I'll be taking Defensive Pistol II and Low Light from him this fall.

Definitely try to come out on Sunday to Niles!  You can start pounding away at AQTs after a quick refresher morning and I bet (just bet) you'll bust through.

Come on!   ;)

ST

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

SteelThunder

Quote from: lowrider12 on September 19, 2012, 06:04:44 PM
I love that AQT pace!   ^:)^ ~~:)

Thanks again to a great group of instructors.  Congrats to Steel on his Green hat.  A surprise appearance from Santa Burbs bearing gifts of football tix.  Thanks to all the Blue Hats.  Thanks to the scouts for the lunches.  Thanks to the range for having us.

I am going to an IL Appleseed this coming weekend (Sun only) to see if I can bust through that 210 barrier.  Wish me luck

Lowrider (Jeff??)

Good luck buddy!!  It's been great watching you at Bellevue get the basics down and then really rev up that score at Watervliet.  Go show 'em how it's done over in Illinois!

Just don't forget your Michigan friends!   :P

ST2

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

lowrider12

Quote from: SteelThunder on September 19, 2012, 08:30:50 PM
Good luck buddy!!  It's been great watching you at Bellevue get the basics down and then really rev up that score at Watervliet.  Go show 'em how it's done over in Illinois!

Just don't forget your Michigan friends!   :P

yes it is Jeff - at this point, I feel like I will only be able to (eventually) shoot Rifleman when on MI soil.   ;)

Beatbox

I had a lot of fun! Thanks instructors for putting on a great Appleseed!
:---

nobunaga

Yeah Steel, I signed up for pistol I, pistol II, and low/no light (December? Brrrrrr!)
I even let Keith talk me into buying a Surefire flashlight. I'm just a sucker for a pretty face.   ???
I'm stoked about these classes ^:)^.  Almost as much as Appleseed  O0
So then you and I will be in II and low/no together?  That will be cool!
Unless you laugh at my inability to hit a target with a pistol... You thought I was bad with a rifle... :-\

nobunaga

Hey Handstand, you were a great partner for the shoot.  Thanks for the help buddy.
Just remember... NO BLINKING!   ;D

BitelySam

I tried this once,but it didnt go through.
THANK YOU guys for all your help and your dedication to your teaching.
Iwas excited when I finally shot RIFLEMAN.Steel you will probably see Tom in Niles.
I have Keith,and about three other people waiting for the next Musk. shoot.
T C , Steel James Superheat and Grindstone it is refreshing to see a group of
men so dedicated to another mans success again thank you.
If you need help blue hatting i will do what I can let me know.
                                                                                                        Kevin

SteelThunder

Quote from: BitelySam on September 21, 2012, 08:27:46 AM
I tried this once,but it didnt go through.
THANK YOU guys for all your help and your dedication to your teaching.
Iwas excited when I finally shot RIFLEMAN.Steel you will probably see Tom in Niles.
I have Keith,and about three other people waiting for the next Musk. shoot.
T C , Steel James Superheat and Grindstone it is refreshing to see a group of
men so dedicated to another mans success again thank you.
If you need help blue hatting i will do what I can let me know.
                                                                                                        Kevin

Kevin

You have been an instructor's "dream".  You showed up at Muskegon full of knowledge but very willing to learn and try new things.  You soaked up skills, applied them and left still raring to go.

Then you came to Watervliet and  raced out of the gates.  I KNEW you'd make Rifleman and am proud to have had a very small part in helping you get there.

If Tom is amenable, have him  send me an email...would love to keep in touch with him and "encourage" him to come to Niles  ~~:)

Also, send me a PM with your email address and we can talk about volunteering/Blue Hat opportunities   :bow:   :cool2:   
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Superheat

Bitelysam,
Blue hat? We need you to take an orange hat!  Send kris or me your phone number and he can explain what's involved and how awesome it is.

Peter