News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rochester Ladyseed - Call to Action!

Started by Barbie, September 10, 2012, 04:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbie

Folks, the Ladyseed out at Rochester is coming up Sept 15/16, and as of right now has only 1 pre-reg!  Acceptable?  No.  Fixable?  Absolutely!   O0

To all the guys out there, just because this is a "Ladyseed", don't think you cannot help promote it.  Sure, us ladies may be a little more convincing to some when promoting a ladyseed, but that shouldn't stop you from helping out!  I invite you to read this excerpt from the ladyseed shoot portion of our forum:

"I'm a member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, and read the forum often. One thing that comes up quite a bit is women's range experiences. They seem to go like this:

Woman who has never touched a gun ever goes to a range with a guy.

Guy doesn't tell her how to stand so that she is stable. She stands relaxed without knowing what's coming.

Guy hands her a large-caliber handgun, and has her shoot it.

She stumbles backward and he laughs.

Then she tries again, and brass goes down her plunging neckline, burning things best left unburnt.

She goes home and tells all her friends that this shooting thing stinks.

Compound that with all the youtube videos of girls getting hit in the face by firearms recoiling, and girls falling down, now you have a lot of women who perceive shooting akin to torture, fearing the laughter of their torturers.

Enter the LadySeed.

Women who have never held a firearm before may need a bit of nurturing to be comfortable. A team full of women have a great potential to provide that.

There's a certain amount of timidity in women when they are new to mechanical devices. The pace at a LadySeed is conducive to taking the shyness out.

Women shooters are not that common, so the fact that there is a staff of instructors who know what they are doing, and are women is rather a breath of fresh air. I think it gives female attendees hope that they, too, can do this.

The differences in our anatomy make for some interesting adaptations, which guys will never have to worry about. Women instructors are more likely than a man to notice where our anatomy is interfering with our shooting, and how to correct it. I saw this at my first LadySeed. One lady had been to lots of AS shoots, but couldn't crack 200. A lady instructor showed her a different way to go into prone, and bingo, 202. It helped that there didn't need to be any self-consciousness about one's build, either.

The LadySeeds have given my daughters confidence to go to full Appleseeds. I have lots of daughters, and have taken 3 to LadySeeds, two for their first ever Appleseed at age 10. They connected with the instructors well, the pace suited a young learner, and the games broke things up to keep their interest. Hearing history of women in the Revolution was memorable for them. Ask them which story they liked best, and they will say, "The one about the woman with the crazy red hair and crossed eyes."

My girls gained confidence at the LadySeed to want to go to regular Appleseeds. I think at least two of them are "hooked" which is better than I can say for their brothers.

I believe LadySeeds are a comfortable, confidence building experience that introduces how much fun shooting can be, and how women can make an impact in their world, even with crazy red hair and crossed eyes. I hope to go to many, many more of them, wearing different colors of ballcap with RWVA embroidered on them, and happily sporting my purple Rifleman patch, which was earned shooting next to two of my daughters."

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=31403.0

There are a lot more accounts from gals who have had a great time at these events.  Take a look at what other gals have to say.  Share this with the ladies around you.

Comment back on this thread and let me know of what you have done to promote this event!

~ Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

AuntieBellum

Posted and promoted on Facebook.

Fliers hung in various locations in Merrillville area in hopes of getting noticed by a larger population.

Asked for promo help and sent PDF fliers to the women's coordinator of the ISRPA and the same for a prior Appleseeder who is also a new NRA Refuse to Be a Victim instructor.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot