News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Forum Spell Check Problems

Started by scuzzy, August 20, 2012, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Last week the forum/website was upgraded for a variety of reasons.

This upgrade was sorely needed. However it did break the spellcheck function that was provided by the forum itself. Many people did not notice this because the browser they are using already has a built in spellchecker. Firefox, Seamonkey, Chrome, etc have this built in.

Some people, such as those using Internet Explorer, no longer have a spellchecker to help them out.

There is a fix though. See the attached files on how to get Internet Exploder up to snuff.

I did also have a report today from an instructor that was having problems with Firefox. Even though Firefox does have a built in spell checker it might not be enabled. I'll include an attachment for Firefox users too just in case this applies to you.

Additionally I'll include a doc on how to clear your cache/cookies/temp internet files for IE users. This caused numerous problems after our recent forum upgrade. Even if you didn't have problems you might want to look at this since it is a good habit to get rid of the crud that can accumulate when using IE.

If you use a non standard browser do a search on your browser name plus spellcheck and you'll probably find a few articles on how to get things going.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

technoronin

I have ongoing problems with multiple websites on multiple computers insisting that I use British spellings.  It can be amusing.

Also, is there any way to get "Appleseed" added to the dictionaries?

George Hacker

There should be.  I use Firefox and to add a word to the dictionary I have to take the following steps:

Type the word
Highlight the word
Right-click and select "Add to Dictionary" from the menu that appears

Give it a spin and let us know how it goes.  If you have a different browser, then please figure out how it works and post a reply and let others know.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."