News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone know anything about Poly technologies M1A?

Started by MOLON LABE, August 08, 2012, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOLON LABE

I have been offered a poly technologies M1A clone - does anyone know anything about them? Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks!
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -- Captain John Parker, 1775

Kosciusko

Quote from: MOLON LABE on August 08, 2012, 12:31:29 AM
I have been offered a poly technologies M1A clone - does anyone know anything about them? Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks!

Excellent recievers.  Clint McKee of Fulton Armory used to pay $500 bounty per rcvr.  Excellent geometry.  He would strip the rifle, send  the parts and check for $500 back to seller.  re-heatreat the rcvr and add all usgi parts, then charge big $$$ for the finished product.

The only real complaints were that some had  soft bolts that would deform over time.  Cured by fitting a new TRW usgi replacement bolt.  Shoot it until the accuracy goes, then rebarrel.

How much?  I paid $425 for my first one.  Found it slightly used at the pawn shop.

k

BeSwift

Ditto on all of the above. Bought mine in the 90's and has shot like a champ..no problems..ever... Not match grade
accurate but for the $400 I paid for it new, I ain't complaining. It will meet Appleseed requirements and is a GREAT
basis to build on.. O0.   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

TreadCarefully

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

TaosGlock

Prices have risen. $750 is what they were going for here in NM a few years back.
Mine is late 80's. It has a re-heat and had a TRW bolt in. The rest of it is GTG.
Over the years the rear sight detents have turned to mush (these are soft, like the bolts) in the 200-600M range.
So it wears a scope until I replace the rear sight assy or fix my eyes. $$-0

Current prices in any form are now about $900-$1200. Unlike many current SA's, the receiver geometry is in spec.

A fellow named Lee Emerson did a lot of research on M14s and wrote up a report entitled "M14 Rifle Development and History"
Google up "lee emerson m14 rifle history development" for a PDF of his book. Lots of stuff on Chicom M1A's.
Page 33, 188-198, 309-312 and 342-343 are a good start.

Read it. You can't go wrong with a Poly Chicom. Hey that rhymes.  :))
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

AFTERMATH

My rifle is a Poly.  Stock except for the stock, flash hider and front sight. 
Accuracy and reliability have been great for the last 1000-2000 rounds... 
Got it used for $700 w/GI syn-stock. 
Rear sight assy. could be better, but it's good enough.
Swapped the faux flash hider - Well, cause I don't want to flash anyone, and the someone felt the need to file down the original front sight to about 0.005" wide...
I've got a GI bolt to install - It doesn't need to be TRW - but haven't had a problem with the original one yet...

About 6-7 years ago, I saw a BNIB Poly at a gun show for $350....  Didn't know anything about them at the time.  :shootself:
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Kosciusko

Just missed one today while I was literally out to lunch.   $675 plus shipping

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?278587-Norinco-M14-Sporter-308

just because you can't get them all is no excuse  for not trying

henschman

When the communists took over South Vietnam, they captured one of our M-14 production lines there, and sold it to China (which ended up in the hands of Poly Technologies).  So the receivers are actually produced on the original US equipment and forged as per mil-spec, and are closer to the real deal than anything SAI has ever made.  Plus they actually have chrome-lined barrels as per the mil-spec, which SAI is no longer using.  I wouldn't worry too much about the bolts... if you are that concerned, check the headspace every 1000 rounds and see if there is any sign of stretching.  But that was just an issue with some of the early ones.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

MOLON LABE

Thanks for the info! Sorry I havew been away... I ended up buying it for $600... took it to the range... with winchester 7.62x51 it was shooting 6 moa at 100 yards.... not really my thing.... traded it off for a stag arms ar15... its not as big or bad but at 100 yards it is 1.5 moa
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -- Captain John Parker, 1775

AFTERMATH

Quote from: MOLON LABE on November 08, 2012, 08:06:03 PM
Thanks for the info! Sorry I havew been away... I ended up buying it for $600... took it to the range... with winchester 7.62x51 it was shooting 6 moa at 100 yards.... not really my thing.... traded it off for a stag arms ar15... its not as big or bad but at 100 yards it is 1.5 moa

Don't mean to make you regret your decision, but I've never found Winchester particularly accurate in any of my .30's...
But my poly has done 1 moa multiple times, and I'm sure the others is just me - I've never benched it.  3 moa from irons is about my norm.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]