News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Brookings, OR - Aug. 4-5, 2012 BACKWOOD'S HOME MAGAZINE

Started by Castle Mountain, August 07, 2012, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Mountain

On a sunny Saturday morning with the mist rising off the Pacific Ocean, 57 Americans rose off the couch and stood together, anticipating a weekend full of rifle marksmanship  education and American Revolutionary War history.  They were not disappointed and neither were we.

We had a wonderful group of attentive students from Portland, OR to Lewiston, CA and instructors from Olympia, WA down to San Francisco and as far as central Illinois.  A great combination for a great Appleseed Weekend.

Our host for the weekend and the facilitating influence for this Appleseed was Dave Duffy, CEO of Backwoods Home Magazine.  Dave was on the line along with many from the staff of BHM along with Masaad Ayoob who writes regularly for BHM and is a strong advocate of Appleseed and has his own Rifleman patch.   O0

Anticipating a maximum of 75 participants, the line was broken into three instructional groups which worked well to facilitate student/instructor interaction with the smaller numbers.  The two days went quickly with everyone staying focused on the task, keeping in mind the sacrifices of our forefathers.

As a result of their perseverance, nine Riflemen were brought forward!!

Josh E.  scored 244
Derek W - 237
Charlie C. - 237
Dick T. - 231
Kim O. - 218
Alan R - 212
David A. - 224
Austin B. - 211 (phew!)
Robby D. - 214

Congratulations to all the new Riflemen!!!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!!   O0   O0   O0

And a huge thanks to all the Appleseed instructors who drove many hours from the surrounding states to be at this first shoot in Brookings and the largest shoot so far in Oregon!!!   
Prescott, Ducko, tionico, 56Huck, Eaglescouter, NorCal22Gal, Nero, American Amazon, Theophillis, Joni  :bow:

We thank Pat Foley who found the land for the shoot and Ted Fitzgerald who graciously allowed us to use his land.

Castle Mountain and I are grateful to have had the opportunity to have been a part of this event.  The Brookings shoot for 2013 is already in the planning stages!!!

Respectfully submitted,
Patriot Gal/Shoot Boss
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Ducko

What a great shoot! Congrats to the 9 new rifleman, thanks to everyone else who came out, I hope to see you all on the line again soon.  Special thanks to Dave D., Massad A.,
and Ted. F and all the instructors to travelled to make this happen.
Ducko
Don't wait, go to the sound of the rifles and get involved! 

We are not to expect to be transported from despotism to Liberty in a feather bed!
Thomas Jefferson

imfletcher

I can tell you that my son and I had a great experience at this shoot and although we had to leave early, we will be back to get our Rifleman patch in the near future. Thank you to all the instructors and our shoot boss for a wonderful memory for my son and I.

Nero

Just reached home base after a 10+ hour drive.  I will replace this post with some photos when I have them downloaded from the cameras.

BTW, there is a sheet of notes floating around (I think it was Joni's) with the repeat qualifying scores for the Rifleman.  I know Derek made a 243, and there might be other improvements as well.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Patriot Gal

I have the sheet of requalifying scores, and was going to modify my original post to include them, but then I just realized I posted under CM's account as I had grabbed his laptop to use when I posted
.   :wb:

Five of the 9 Riflemen requalified, with even higher scores. 

We had to hurry out this morning to catch the jet boat to go down the Rogue River so I didn't have any more time to work on the post.  ;D

In the morning...back to Illinois.

We have had a great time coming out to Oregon to do this shoot!  Great time!  Great people! 
Dave is already setting up a shoot(s) with Ted for next year.  Stay tuned!!!!   O0

Oh!  Dave's daughter Annie is planning to look for a range up where she lives in Corvallis so we may have more in this area of the state sooner than later!       
O0
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Oohrah

My deepest thank you to the instructors.  Hope to see more of Mountain Castle and Patriot Gal in the future here in Oregon perhaps.  A special thank you to Massad a LEO icon, who wrote inspirational books, that all his fellow officers consider words to live by.  Thank you for this support, and endorsement of the Appleseed program Mass!  I attended two Appleseeds previous to this in 2005.  The first being in the National Forest, at Snake Tooth Range, in Nov. where it rained 24/7 for all three days.  A month later in Dec. with some rain, but the firing stations were covered!  This was by far the greatest thanks to the heart felt feelings and action of the instructors.  Thank you all for your help, and kindness.
Oohrah
Dick Tylock

Joni

Congratulations to all those who made rifleman! What a great event to be at! Thank you so much Backwoods Home Magazine for putting on such a great Appleseed Shoot, looking forward to the next one.

Here is the link to the pictures. Please feel free to take the ones you want.

https://picasaweb.google.com/GretaStuff/BrookingsORAug452012?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPAw-Hr5sTe8gE

Joni

A few more pics.

Joni

and a few more!

Joni

Nero, I wrote the repeat Riflemen scores on the back of the registration sheet with the list of names and scores. So Patriot Gal has it.
It was such a pleasure to meet all of the new Appleseed folks, hope you will be able to come back soon!
Joni

Nero

Here we go with some more pix!

The longest Appleseed target line I've seen so far - and the most cow pies!

Spectacular view provided by our hosts, at no extra charge!

Shooters and instructors gather

Setting up the line...

...where there was a bit of a slope.  (Not quite so bad as the photo angle makes it - we only had to stake down a few shooters!   %) )

A beautiful but unseasonably warm day on the Oregon coast

Saturday morning red coats.  Now you know how the instructors can tell at a glance who already knows steady hold factors or not.

The instructional 'pods' get down to business.  The break out groups kept the instruction personal in spite of the big shoot.

Attention to history at lunchtime

The standard pose for a shoot boss

Day 2.  Closer to what I'd expected from the Oregon coast.  Not the lightning, though!

A visit from Sam'l Whittemore (pre-4/19/1775 version)

IITs take the stage

Ahhhh, break time!  (Note the flags are now flying the other direction.)

"The target should be blurry in the background..."  No problem!

Our Sunday shooters (sorry about the poor contrast)

What's Huck saying here?

Speaking of sleeping in prone (the day was getting a little long...)

Dave Duffy and Rifleman Alan + some more weather

tionico contends for most dynamic storytelling position...

but is aced out by Norcal22Gal

On into the Grind

Posting final red coats

Turn out the lights...

...the potty's over.   ;D   %)

Lots more in the full album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/Brookings812
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

R1SGx2

WOW ....

Very nice photos, a lot of work to make this shoot happen... Thank you all...

Look at the size of the group photo,

QuoteCEO of Backwoods Home Magazine
Thank you for all you do...

Good job by all....
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Coin3

I had a great weekend! All of the people I have met are awesome, I couldn't have imagined it turning out any better. haha  O0

*Very excited for next year*
-Griffin C.