News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Mars Rover post that only a Rifleman could appreciate...

Started by Foppish Dandy, August 06, 2012, 08:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foppish Dandy

A friend of mine (who previously attended an Appleseed) posted this on my Facebook profile today... Thought this group would appreciate it. Anyone want to double-check my math?

FD
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Edheler

Here is what I get: 102,393 miles is 1 MOA (arc minute) at 352 million miles.

100 yards is approximately 33.3 microarc seconds at 352 million miles.

arc minute (MOA)
arc second (1/60th of an arc minute)
milliarc second (1/1000 of an arc second)
microarc second (1/1000 of a milliarc second)

92trk

So much math it makes my head hurt. The analogy here is this, with much determination and effort NASA hit the mark. Anyone who applies themself to becoming a Rifleman can do the same.

hinermad

I also get about 98k miles = 1 MOA at 352 million miles.

Not to diminish NASA's and JPL's accomplishment, but they did get a few chances to do mid-course corrections on that shot. On the other hand, the come-ups in multiple gravity fields are positively freaky!

Dave

Foppish Dandy

Quote from: Edheler on August 06, 2012, 09:01:54 PM
Here is what I get: 102,393 miles is 1 MOA (arc minute) at 352 million miles.

100 yards is approximately 33.3 microarc seconds at 352 million miles.

arc minute (MOA)
arc second (1/60th of an arc minute)
milliarc second (1/1000 of an arc second)
microarc second (1/1000 of a milliarc second)

Where'd you get 102,393 miles? This is how I did the math:

352,000,000 miles = 619,520,000,000 yards
1 MOA = 1" per 100 yards
1 MOA = 61,95,200,000 inches at 619,520,000,000 yards
619,520,000,000 yds = 97777.8 mi

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Edheler

Quote from: Hinermad on August 06, 2012, 09:31:58 PM
I also get about 98k miles = 1 MOA at 352 million miles.

You're getting that result because you're using 1" is 1 MOA per 100 yards. We round it down because it doesn't matter for 4 MOA accuracy out to 500 yards. An approximation with 4 significant digits is: 1.047" is 1 MOA per 100 yards.

Edheler

To eight significant digits: 1.0471976" is 1 MOA per 100 yards
To twelve significant digits: 1.04719755858" is 1 MOA per 100 yards.

Rounding really bites at 352 million miles. ;)

Foppish Dandy

Makes sense then... I still want to see a grouping of at least two more shots before I make any determination as to whether or not they're shooting to standard.  ;D

Edheler

Quote from: Foppish Dandy on August 06, 2012, 09:51:13 PM
Makes sense then... I still want to see a grouping of at least two more shots before I make any determination as to whether or not they're shooting to standard.  ;D

Knowing NASA they would be more concerned with hitting their existing very expensive SUV on Mars if they sent more. ;D

hinermad

Quote from: Edheler on August 06, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
You're getting that result because you're using 1" is 1 MOA per 100 yards. We round it down because it doesn't matter for 4 MOA accuracy out to 500 yards. An approximation with 4 significant digits is: 1.047" is 1 MOA per 100 yards.

Guilty as charged.

tan(1/60) x 3.52E8 = 102,392.652 miles.

Dave

gonejohnny

:pop:

Barbie

Quote from: gonejohnny on August 07, 2012, 11:08:43 AM
:pop:

Well who knew our AS folks were so proficient in their math skills  ;)

I'm with GJ, im just gonna sit back and watch ya'll do the math!  I ran out of fingers and toes a long time ago!   :pop:
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

LittleMo

First shot (in the target) may be luck, second shot may be cooincidence, third is skill.
But gotta give them credit for limiting their shots, after all look at the cost per round!
It isn't about 5 cents per shot like a .22LR! ;D

Thanks, EDheler, for posting the info.  :)

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont