News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Looking into my 1st center fire rifle

Started by Publican, July 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

Not set on it per se but looking into a 7mm-08
Intended uses:
When I start a small hobby farm...critter removal
Hopefully getting back into hunting to provide food...deer sized
Continuing to learn how to shoot a rifle...I am a noob to rifles

Any pros/cons inherent to this caliber that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

SSG Platz

Price is the only thing that would move me away from 7mm, cheapest stuff I've seen on the web is $0.95 a round. Where 308 is $0.62 cents a round. Cheaper ammo means more range time,as slim puts it.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Charles McKinley

A .243 Win. fan myself. If I was looking for a new rifle now it would probably be aa. 308 fir ammo availability. 
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

technoronin

For cost it is hard to beat 7.62x54r.  Rifles are around $100 and surplus ammo can be had for less than $0.20/round.  If you're willing to spend more on a rifle, I have a PSL-54 that I rather like shooting.

Yes, I'm cheap.

SSG Platz

Those are not bad, butch then you have to deal with the carosive ammo. I have a nagot that was given to me, my buddie fired maybe 40 rounds though it, I know this because he gave me the ammo can with it. But anyway back to my story, he shot it, didn't think anything about cleaning it, put it in the coener, and a month later gave it to me.  It sat in my corner for a few weeks until I got around to messing with it and might I say when I ran a bore snake down the barrel it came out brown, the whole thing. So now after all he put into this thing adding a straight pull bolt, synthetic stock, and a rail system across the top, all there is to show for it is a rusted piece of crap that sits behind my door.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

wcmartin1

Hard to beat a .308 or 30-06 for versatility, ammo/reloading component availability, and knock-down power.  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Publican

It is funny that the 308 is getting many thumbs up. It is one choice that the wife and I agreed would have the most ammo available after the world ended. May need to expand my choices.

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Publican

Lucky I love to read. Will look it up now. Never heard of it. Thanks.

Very interesting review on the book of his you recommended:
http://survivalcache.com/book-review-bostons-gun-bible/?wpmp_tp=0

Not sure if this is full link but others should be able to find the review from it.

Thanks again

dragonfly

7mm.-08  http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html
Pro's:
        Accurate, recoil is tolerable, great for deer, its a reloader's dream.
Con's:
        Lack of availability, lack of availability, lack of availability.

7.62x51/308win.  http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html
Pros:
       Accurate, recoil is tolerable, great for deer, its a reloader's dream, you can get factory ammo just about anywhere.
Con's:
        Not really a con, but in comparison the bullet is not as efficient as the 7mm.

I would recommend the 308win , especially for your first centerfire.

D-fly

Quote from: Publican on July 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM
Not set on it per se but looking into a 7mm-08
Intended uses:
When I start a small hobby farm...critter removal
Hopefully getting back into hunting to provide food...deer sized
Continuing to learn how to shoot a rifle...I am a noob to rifles

Any pros/cons inherent to this caliber that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Sly223

I am super surprised that no one has recommended a Garand,30-06 or .308.
For $900,the Rifle and 500rounds CMP.
I have a 7mm mouser,great hunting Rifle,very accurate at100yrds. AMMO limited and pricey!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Publican

Being a complete noob, I will start some .308 research  :pop:

Sly223

.308 or 30-06,
one is slightly more accurate,(I don't shoot well enough to notice)
The other has a slightly longer effective Range(Again I can't see far enough to notice).
BTW, there are many threads on this,and the controversy goes on forever!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Chainsaw

Well, since Publican is in PA the Garand is out for a hunting rifle.

3006 is a very good option though.  Tons of flexibility with the ammo and WAY more common in most small town PA gun shops.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

SSG Platz

I thoughtbyouncould hunt here as long as you used a 5 round mag or something to that effect.

~PlatzOut~

EZ3

Quote from: SSG Platz on July 28, 2012, 02:29:11 PM
I thoughtbyouncould hunt here as long as you used a 5 round mag or something to that effect.

~PlatzOut~

Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic
(autoloading) rifles and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles and
handguns.

- from the Hunting and Trapping digest.  Maybe you are thinking of WV?
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

SSG Platz

That's good to know, so it has nothing to do with magazines then, as long as its a bolt action it's ok!

EZ3

Bolt, lever, pump....just no autoloaders.  But riflemen don't need follow-up shots.    :)
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Sly223

Here in Fl. the five round mag legally puts you in the woods.
The Mosin is very fun and even cheaper,Rifle $100 900rounds$250
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

SSG Platz

My only follow up shots will be in his deer friends that charge over the burm at me because I just took out their buddy.

~PlatzOut~

Quote from: EZ3 on July 28, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
Bolt, lever, pump....just no autoloaders.  But riflemen don't need follow-up shots.    :)

Publican

Might have a chance to shoot a .30-06, post 64, Model 70 Winchester and a Rem. 700 in .243 Win.

This is a start. I like to be able to shoot "things" before I decide on anything. I am actually fairly intrigued by the .243

I know, I know...less powerful than the .30-06 and .308. Not as versitile either, but...intrigued none the less :P On the low end for deer and like critters but all that I have read states that with proper shot placement, should be OK.

After all, what am I trying to do here anyway? Become a better Rifleman ~~:)

SSG Platz

You are more than welcome to come out to the range and shoot with me any day.

~PlatzOut~

2 clicks low

My first center fire and go to rifle is a Rem 700 BDL in 30.06.
Sweetest shooting rifle out there (contrary opinions will be ignored). 30.06 will drop anything on this continent and ammo is available everywhere in more configurations than you can count. Not to mention CMP ammo for KD at 50 cents a round.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Publican on July 30, 2012, 07:58:12 PM
Might have a chance to shoot a .30-06, post 64, Model 70 Winchester and a Rem. 700 in .243 Win.

This is a start. I like to be able to shoot "things" before I decide on anything. I am actually fairly intrigued by the .243

I know, I know...less powerful than the .30-06 and .308. Not as versitile either, but...intrigued none the less :P On the low end for deer and like critters but all that I have read states that with proper shot placement, should be OK.

After all, what am I trying to do here anyway? Become a better Rifleman ~~:)

Never owned one and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night....

I spent 16 years in West Texas and the 243 is quite popular out there. They use it as an all around rifle for Coyote, Turkey, Deer, Antelope, Mulies, and Prairie Dogs. When I first considered joining the dark side and trying the new fangled smokeless stuff (it ain't smokeless), the 243 was highly recommended as a first rifle. Ammo can be found at gas stations it seems and countless New Mexico Elk have been killed with it.

If you call it a 6.2mm-08 it suddenly sounds sexy and carries the power of Thor's Hammer to game.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Edheler

Quote from: dart67eb on July 28, 2012, 04:52:21 AM
Read 'Boston's Gun Bible' first.

O0 O0 O0

Just remember that he wrote it before any AR-10's really achieved battlefield tested reliability though. (I haven't read the 3rd edition, but suspect he hasn't changed his mind.)

Publican

My copy is due here tomorrow I believe.

K98Al

My .02: I shoot 7x57 at deer, elk antelope, whatever. I also feed my son's 8x57 and wife's 6.5x55. All are great rounds, capable of anything I need to do.
Having said that, if I wasn't a reloader with a good supply of components, I wouldn't consider anything BUT a .308!
Recoil less than 30/06, shorter, faster action, wide selection of bullets, everythuing on the market from bargain surplus FMJ to premium-grade match and hunting bullets.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Publican

After reading through my copy of Boston's, I have changed my mind...again. Leaning toward the 30-06 now. Hmmm, I know it was mentioned somewhere in this thread :slap:

Thanks all for your input.

Trig

For price and versatility it's tuff to beat the Garand from the CMP (unless you're left handed...loading can be a pain while you are slung up, ask me how I know!).

Being left handed, I went with the box fed modernization in the M1a, so I get to spend 2x as much per rifle  :'(. But I can load them way easier while slung in prone.

If I weren't wrong handed I would have a half dozen Garands (m1)

What state are you in? I'm sure you can find an appleseeder who will let you test drive whatever you're curios about!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

SSG Platz

Quote from: Publican on August 02, 2012, 10:35:08 PM
After reading through my copy of Boston's, I have changed my mind...again. Leaning toward the 30-06 now. Hmmm, I know it was mentioned somewhere in this thread :slap:

Thanks all for your input.

I think you should shoot a 30-06, and a 308 and see which one you like after you feel the recoil you may change your mind. Also if you plan to hunt with it, a garand is out. I get the new scope mount for my rifle tomorrow, plan on zeroing at 25 Friday, then to the 100 sat. You are welcome to come out if you want, either day. Just send me a PM.

~PlatzOut~