News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, MI July 27-28 Fri/Sat Seed

Started by number6, July 24, 2012, 11:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

number6

This is my final edit of this lead post, I hope everyone had a good time, and I think I like this Friday/Saturday Appleseed thing....

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

technoronin

This is more about the main web site than the forums.  Over the weekend I needed to pull up the Appleseed web site on my iPhone while out in the sticks running on EDGE.  It took minutes per page to render.  I finally got the information I needed, but it took quite a while.  You may want to take a deeper look into how the mobile site actually works, I suspect it is sending LOTS of data per page when much less would be adequate.

Swamp Thing

Bad shoot boss, no pictures.  &)

But I bet some of you have them.  O0

Post up from day one folks! More details of this great day to come soon.

ST

Pitmaster

I had a great time today. Ironed out a few problems I've had in the past. Plus, my scope got dialed in pretty good (thanks number6). I might have to do a little fine tuning but that's okay.

Great bunch of shooters and instructors. The weather could not have been better. It was great to attend an Appleseed with the temperature bellow 95º!!!! :)
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

liberty junkie

"If a nation expects to be ignorant & free, in a state of civilisation, it expects what never was & never will be."  Thomas Jefferson

liberty junkie

Great event at the Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club this weekend!  Wonderful weather and a great group of attendees and leaders.  Saw lots of good shooting on the rimfire range, and even clinked some steel at the 200 yd range next door (where IMC was demonstrated vividly). 

I'd like to offer a huge "thank-you" to the volunteers who give their time to a great cause.  You are making a difference!!!
"If a nation expects to be ignorant & free, in a state of civilisation, it expects what never was & never will be."  Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Forged

DAY ONE IN LAPEER

More to come tomorrow!
Tinnitus?    No, its Liberty calling!

"Those who HAMMER their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

mac66

It is only Sunday morning and we are already done with a two day Appleseed. How cool is that?  A unique Fri/Sat seed with a unique bunch of shooters is what makes it fun for us instructors. And we did have FUN!

When one sees a group of youngsters go from being a bit tentative and overwhelmed to being competent, confident and safe shooters in a short period of time it make everything worth while.

And how about those more mature (oldsters?) shooters? We saw a lot of potential riflemen and women on the first day as we saw groups shrink dramatically with each point of instruction. Very first AQT, we get a new rifleman and a repeat rifleman. That new rifleman continued to shoot better and better scores and was joined by two other rifllemen, one riflewoman and one really, really close/knocking on the door riflewoman on day two.

Overall a great Appleseed for everyone.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

muffin

WHAT AN AMAZING EVENT!  Had a great time and got to learn a ton of great shooting information.  You have a great organization and I look forward to coming to many many more Appleseed events in the future.  Thank you so much for all the great information and great times with great people!

SteelThunder

Holy cow!  Who's that skinny guy wearing mac66's clothes demonstrating standing?

:bow: :cool2:
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

number6

You will have to forgive me, for not having many Friday pictures....

See there was this bus, and somehow I was trapped underneath it, and it couldn't go less than 50 mph, otherwise...something or other.  Anyways that's not important...
Friday.
Richard Reconfirming

New Rifleman Scott, who kept getting better each AQT.

On to Saturday
Dan, Dan, the Muffin Man, who also scored Rifleman (sorry, I didn't get the presentation photo)
Trying a Brown Bess on for size.

Little Moose, Evan and Zach also showing off a bit.

Where were all the Red Hats?    Not under the bus, but still helping out with history.

Even the Shoot Boss got to talk a bit.

And of COURSE, he gets to hand out patches...
To Chris, with a Henry Levergun!!!

AND

Wait For It

Wait For It
Earthmom !!!!!1!11!11111!!!11!!

And since she had keep persisting to get that patch, Swampy had to keep persisting as well...........

Nearly having to get on his knees.....

A NEW ORANGE HAT!!!!!!

Give an Orange Hat, Retire an Orange Hat, the yin and yang of Michigan Appleseed.

Notice the musket ball hole just above the hat, luckily it missed or there could have been some real damage.

Most of the damage was caused by this group.....

In the Back - "Ace", Kaity, your Shoot Boss Swampy, Conner and Peter
Down Front - Evan, "Little Moose", Zach, and Anna

That's all I've got folks, I guess, maybe, except this one more thing.

Your humble author of this Appleseed Tale

number6

You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

mac66

**)   Good report #6.   

BTW, the aforementioned Muffin got his rifleman patch as well
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Swamp Thing

Hey all,

Just got back from another Appleseed in Fenton, MI (my daughter was at that one with Mrs. Thing on Saturday and my part of the deal was to take her on Sunday) And I actually got to shoot this time!!  :~

Folks, this is going down in the books as my favorite Appleseed to date!!!

Whole families on the line spending the weekend together learning the art of marksmanship and reconnecting with the folks who originally gave them the freedom to do so. Does it get any better than that?

Handing out patches left and right. Hats changing colors. New hats getting handed out. Old hats getting retired in style. And friends returning to add to their collection of patches.

The only bummer of the weekend was the mother and daughter team of Bridget and Meredith not being able to come back on Saturday. Like the cute little pink hat says....Shoot like a girl...If you can! These gals were soooooooo close. One more day, one more AQT, it's all they need. I hope they can make it back. I've taken two rifleman patches and written their names on the back of them.  O0

And did you see all the youngen's? Man were they something special. You guys are why I do this stuff! Keep practicing, keep coming back. I've got a whole bag of patches waiting for you, soon!

Lets see, what else......

Something about a certain someone who has helped our program grow by leaps and bounds for some time now. Someone who has worked so hard and for so long to hit that rifleman score. Earthmom, I am so happy that I was the lucky one who got to see you do it. And I am humbled and honored that you accepted that funny orange hat. I know you will wear it well.

Thanks to every single person who was there for this. It was truly special.

ST

Hammer Forged

number6 to the world but #1 for LIBERTY!

number6 really hates those RED COATS!

Saturday on the 200 yrd range in Lapeer - can you say Bang........Clang?

Nice Shooting George!

His shirt said "Stud Muffin" but to us he'll always be just MUFFIN!

Zach and Anne were my two favorites - They entered as tentative students and left as confident future Rifleman!

Rifleman work as a TEAM   "Carding the Sights" even if they're the last ones on the line.....

"Those who HAMMER their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

mac66

Special mention should go out to Rifleman Richard who generously loaned a beautiful little cut down 10/22 to Anna, one of our youth shooters to use. It was the prefect size for her and made her weekend.  The first thing Anna asked me on day two was "May I shoot Mr. Richard's rifle today?"  "Well, let's ask him" I said. We did and he did, and she did.
Ronald Reagan

SteelThunder

Quote from: Hammer Forged on July 30, 2012, 11:15:30 AM
number6 to the world but #1 for LIBERTY!

That head might be bigger than even Superheat's! $$-0 ??? ::)
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

mac66

Update...

I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Richard, who was our returning rifleman at this shoot was so impressed with the kids shooting on the line that to help others in the future he bought and donated a couple 10/22 youth stocks. He also cut down two barrels, threaded the ends and installed "mud guards" to keep the muzzles out of the sand, snow, dirt etc. The combination of the short stock and shorter lighter barrel should make it much easier for smaller people to handle. I am outfitting a couple of my loaners with the barrels. The stocks will be available along with the current ones, to the Michigan cadre to loan out.  The "Richard Rifles" should be available for the Houghton Lake shoot.

Richard is prime example of the "can do" spirit of the rifleman. He wasn't available to be an instructor or help out officially. But when he was asked he said,  "I can't do that but I CAN DO this," and he did.
Ronald Reagan

Hammer Forged

Mac - that's awesome - THANKS RICHARD!  Your heart scores even higher than your AQT's!! :bow: