News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gearing up for Davilla....and conquering IMC

Started by Bullet, July 19, 2012, 12:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet

Took a couple of friends out shooting Monday in preparation for Davilla this weekend. One is a new shooter, but she's is a real go-getter and looking forward to it.

The other one had a nice group (I'm hoping she makes Rifleman!) but the scope was off. I've never explained Inches, Minutes, and Clicks before, but I listened to Rifleman Radio last week where we got great tips on how to teach it. (No, I didn't get paid to say that!) So....I took a deep breath and gave the IMC spiel I'd rehearsed in my mind for whenever I have to teach it at Appleseed. It was so rewarding to hear her say, "OH! I never got it before!" and then see her adjust the scope perfectly so her next group was all in the black.

Somebody in the Rifleman Radio chat room last week told me to be ready to teach IMC because it would happen sooner than I thought. Well - you were right, and thanks for the heads-ups because I wouldn't have been ready otherwise!  :)  And thank you, Scout, for the always-excellent training.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Edheler

I really meant that as a tongue-in-cheek joke. :) I feel much better that my advice proved useful!

Two Wolves

Two Wolves sees a rilfeman patch and an orange hat in your future.  O0
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Green Bean

Congrats, I was doing the same today.  I was trying to teach a coworker how appleseed prepares a rifleman to shoot at 4 MOA.   I explained how 4 MOA is 1"@25yrds and how it relates out to 500 yards to hit a 20" wide target.

I started at 1 degree at 100 yards is equal to 60". Break that 60" down to 60 parts called minutes of angle.  So 1" at 100 yards equals one minute of angle. Divide that in half and get 1/2" at 50 yards and half again to get 1/4" at 25 yards. So then I took him back to 4 MOA at 25 yards is 1" and how that relates back to 4 MOA at 500 yards equals 20". At that point his eyes rolled into the back of his head and I lost him.

If all else fails tell them each little 1/4" grid on the 1" squares target is one click on the tech sights. Save the math class for when they move out to KD. 

If any of the above is incorrect please correct me. I typed it from memory.

At the DFW IBC one of the instructors had a nice visual aid (laminated pictures) that helped a lot in explaining IMC.  If I can get a copy of it I will email it to you. 

Quote from: Bullet on July 19, 2012, 12:29:27 AM
Took a couple of friends out shooting Monday in preparation for Davilla this weekend. One is a new shooter, but she's is a real go-getter and looking forward to it.

The other one had a nice group (I'm hoping she makes Rifleman!) but the scope was off. I've never explained Inches, Minutes, and Clicks before, but I listened to Rifleman Radio last week where we got great tips on how to teach it. (No, I didn't get paid to say that!) So....I took a deep breath and gave the IMC spiel I'd rehearsed in my mind for whenever I have to teach it at Appleseed. It was so rewarding to hear her say, "OH! I never got it before!" and then see her adjust the scope perfectly so her next group was all in the black.

Somebody in the Rifleman Radio chat room last week told me to be ready to teach IMC because it would happen sooner than I thought. Well - you were right, and thanks for the heads-ups because I wouldn't have been ready otherwise!  :)  And thank you, Scout, for the always-excellent training.

Two Wolves

"At the DFW IBC one of the instructors had a nice visual aid (laminated pictures) that helped a lot in explaining IMC.  If I can get a copy of it I will email it to you."

I'd like one too. ~Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Green Bean

Pm me your email if you want the visual aids. They are 10X13, just print and laminated

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Two Wolves

Green Bean

Bullet

Quote from: spitstickler on July 19, 2012, 03:23:36 PM
Attached below.  ;)

Thank you! Appreciate it.

Quote from: Two Wolves on July 19, 2012, 12:55:26 AM
Two Wolves sees a rilfeman patch and an orange hat in your future.  O0

Rifleman....did 225 last December.

Orange hat....should be official on the forum very soon.  :)
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Edheler

Something with that PDF is very unhappy on a Mac. :(

floydf

Probably unhappy with Preview.  I bet it works with Adobe Reader on the Mac.

Quote from: Edheler on July 19, 2012, 09:52:10 PM
Something with that PDF is very unhappy on a Mac. :(
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer