News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to the California Board - Check-in

Started by bob 210, June 23, 2008, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Welcome to the state where Appleseed is on fire!!!!  This is the official board for all Appleseed related things in California. I will be posting about each upcoming shoot and looking for input and ideas concerning them, so don't be shy, fell free to post your thoughts. 8) Please check-in here and let us know what city you are in. If there is a range near you that we can host an Appleseed at, let me know.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

MrBill

Bob 210

Looking at your schedule, I see only the July 20 NRA RSO training event.  Did you get any additional information about upcoming NRA RSO training anywhere near the greater LA area.  I'm sure I could at least twist Rock Chuckers arm to go too, and hopefully get a bunch of us trained and certified.

Thanks
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

OK I guess I should look first and ask for clarification second.  Is this the RSO training you went to? 

Huntington Beach - Sunday, August 31, 2008, AKI Security Training Center, $150
James E Bowen, (562) 500-3633. , nra@firearms-training.info
Class types: Range Safety Officer
Course Notes:  Please call Kathy at (714) 319-3013 to reserve your seat.
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

kman62

Hello all,

This is kman62, i attended the Corona event on 10/18/-19, I was one of the two Keith's. I was shooting the OLL AR on yellow 2. I had a great time even thought I suffered from some equipment issues, but mostly I need to work on the cadence, especially focus on the sight and not the target. I will attend another Appleseed in the future, I was thinking about the one in December, but I need to check my wife's schedule, we were going out of town the first part of December.

Thanks to all the instructors, I felt very welcomed at the event and met some new people. So it's off to dry fire and practice my cadence.

Oh btw, I've been telling everyone, I know about Appleseed, even people I don't know, two guys a the local Big 5, when I was looking to purchase a 10/22. I had just returned from the class and I fogot that I had my name tag on and I was a little dusty from all the prone work going on, they asked me where I came from and that I looked like I had fun. I talked to the guys about the Appleseed program and they liked what I had to say.  I hope to a least get a few people to come to future events. I also told them, it was fun but it's a serious event, about hornoring our founding fathers.

kman62 ;D

Biscuit

I liked the October 18-19 Appleseed, at Corona  even though my 22 got jammed at the end of Saturday. I still went Sunday and was lent a Ruger 10/22 (Guess what I want for X-mas).  Also the Range Master Let me fire my muzzle loading percussion cap 1853 Enfield (58 Cal.). I learned A LOT about firing positions, NPOA, and sighting in (MOA). 
MAN do I HATE some of my nicknames.

shot the score on Sept. 26th, 2010.
Started in 2008/09. Total events attend as a shooter: TOO MANY!!!!

James T.

LayloPro

Welcome, Keith & James!!
We look forward to being able to work with both of you in the future......It's amazing the equipment issues that come along....rifles we would have -sworn- were ready to go, that don't.....(don't ask me how I know about this part!!) :D :D ;D

We are looking for many good men & gals to help get this state turned around.....It is a -BIG- state, and it has been getting beat up for too long, & it's time we fixed it.
And when we are done "fixing" the problems in this state, we are going after the other 49.
Gentlemen, are you with us?

Laylopro
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Marpat Whittemore

This is Nick and Rachel and we are from Santa Barbara.  We would love to help out with our local event, so if you know who I can contact PM me.  Also I would love build a few 10/22 LTR so if you know a friendly FFL in california let me know.
More Cowbell

bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Wanderer

Hey Guys! Anthony here from the 12/13-14 shoot at Corona. If you were at the event I was non-stop talker with a bunch of friends there, shooting in the middle next to Liz. Big thanks to Francis for letting us borrow his rifles, and the rest of the guys for putting up with us (mainly putting up with me haha)  ;)

I picked up a new Ruger 10/22, (get it the 15th) and am looking to set it up. Was a little disappointed when I realized a Marlin comes with mounts for a sling and scope, and the Ruger does not. Looks like I'll be drilling and tapping that wooden stock! Had to go with the Ruger tho, the stock is perfect IMO for cheek weld, just feels natural.

Anyway, I live in the Orange County area, so the closest range for rifles to me would be where we had the Corona Event (Rauhawgees, as I butcher the spelling). As far as me personally, I love teaching (and learning), and definitely plan to have my younger brother at the next Corona event (gonna take him out as soon as I get my 10/22 to give him the basics). Lets see, I also love public speaking. I'm a story teller, and speech communication is one of the areas I'm studying in college. I'd like to be one of the guys up there at lunch telling the group about our heritage.

My only downfall to the program will likely be that I am in college, which takes a lot of my time. I'm on my 5th year at Cal State Long Beach - full time student every semester; like I said, I love to learn :) I'm studying marketing, speech, and business... though I'm an art major. I definately want to help with the March Corona event, and I know April is jammed for me but if I can squeeze it I'd like to help with the April event as well. Anyway, thats all for now, thanks for your time. Stay safe & shoot straight,
Anthony
This is America.

SavageShootr

wow been awhile since I have checked in here.

Welcome tomasmore!! Nick and Rachel, glad to have you both here.
That is a nice range out there in Santa Barbara.

Welcome TheWanderer!! Nice to have you with us as well.
I was not at the Corona event (I was at Piru). Johnnyappleseed and I shoot at Angeles range on most Saturday's. Actually all of them that we are not Appleseeding.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Aleeta

Hi All,

Liz N.G. here from the Sacramento shoot this last weekend.  Has a great time this last weekend and I can't want to do more Appleseedn'!  I am extremely happy that my husband suggested that we come up to the event, I learned a lot from both the history and the shooting instruction, and am happy to be stepping up to become a new IIT!  Thank you to everyone from this weekend!

Liz

SavageShootr

Hey Liz,

Welcome to the Board and to the California Instructor Corps. Thank You for stepping up and taking on the orange hat. The reward you will receive from Instructing will amaze you. I look forward to the day that we will instruct together.

I enjoyed meeting you in Sacramento last weekend. Congratulations on your Rifleman scores (you had 3 of them, right?) WOW and then to shoot the Redcoat Rifleman style. Great going.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

BaldDragn

I'm a little late, but better late than never.

BaldDragn here, AKA Rod J.

I found Appleseed through many of our members at NearDeathExperiments.com (NDE), a preparedness board. Appleseed's goals fit like a glove with my own views and many others at NDE and I'm grateful to the Appleseed members that drove so far and dedicated their time to bring Appleseed to us in northern California, and my home range at SacValley.org. It's my sincere hope to pick up the tools offered this weekend so that Sacramento could be one of those sites that have monthly Appleseeds in the near future, and hopefully to bring Appleseed to other neighboring towns.

I have tried one more than one occasion to work with organizations who's goal was to help spread the word about our past, the value, and the state of our personal liberties today, unfortunately those efforts and organizations fizzled in the end because to much depended on to few people. Appleseed has addressed that issue well and seems destined to succeed were so many others have failed.

I also love that my experience over this last weekend was so inclusive. There was no sense of anybody having any ax to grind, just a simple message of honoring those that gave so much for us that we may enjoy our freedoms, along with encouragement to take an active part, in our own fashion, to be sure those rights are not squandered or taken for granted. This is very important to me because I have a diverse family and I want to share Appleseed with all of them, not an easy thing to do with so many  different  opinions to consider, but I see no problem with Appleseed.

So thanks again all, I'm sure any group so tolerant of a curmudgeon like V  >:D can put up with me.

BD
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

SavageShootr

Welcome Balddragn.

It was fabulous meeting you and your lovely wife. She is a nice lady. Thank you for bringing her along. Yes, she told me you talked her into it. I asked her to post that when she gets approved for the board.

I am happy to see that you get it. Northern California is going to be a whole new area for Appleseed. I am impressed.

~SS

Carla

Hello, California Appleseed,

I'm a newbie here.

My partner Patricia and I have run the fourth Sunday 'public hours' at the 200 yard side of the Santa Clara County Metcalf range for some years now. (the other week-end days at the 200 are taken up with various Rifle Club events)

If anyone in the South Bay area might be interested, this is a venue for some 200 yard (or closer range with portable target frames) rifle practice (or handgun practice, hitting bowling pins at 200 yards with a 22, or even a 44 mag, revolver is a serious challenge of skill) The range use charge is $15 per person, for the  day.

We open the 200 yard side at 0900 every fourth Sunday, weather permitting, and run until 1500. We've assembled a small crew of range workers so that targets can be handled quickly, for a minimum of lost shooting time with the line held under cease-fire for target handling.

Any sort of target, such as animal (not human, this is California, folks) silhouettes or oddments of metal scrap, jugs of water, etc., are acceptable, as long as we can be certain that no safety hazard is created, and no waste materials left on the range at the end of the day.

It may be possible for me to make arrangements with the range manager to rent the 200 yard range for Appleseed-related events on Thursdays, when the range is not otherwise used.

(understand, thats 'maybe' not any certainty. The range was not regularly in use on Thursdays some time ago, but that may have changed, so I can't promise anything at this time.)

If enough interest is shown, by e-mailing me, I'll ask the range facility manager about renting the 200 yard side on Thursdays, maybe one Thursday per month.

I'd offer to do this as a women's event, with, of course, such menfolk (husbands, sons, nephews, boyfriends or social friends, whatever)  as they'd care to invite to come with them.

We could provide the use of a M1 Garand, SMLE, and M1 carbine for familiarisation fire, and, for those who will be really careful with it, a couple of rounds for familiarisation with our pet snipey rifle, a pre-64 Winnie heavy barrel M70, which will consistently do 1/4" or less from point-of-aim, cold barrel shot, at 200yds.  (yes, I'm 'bragging' a little....it took a while to 'dial in' that rifle, and find the load it likes)

Fifty cals, such a Barretts, and 'Calif-legal' 416's, 48's and 49's, are welcome, but, obviously, nothing selective-fire.  (again, this is California, remember)

I don't know anything whatever about the technical details of this or that variety of mouse-gun receiver, and wouldn't recognise any of those if I did look at them.........all I care about is practical, realistic range safety. 

I don't have any problem with rapid-fire, if......and this is a very important if.....the person doing any rapid fire is surely capable of keeping the weapon under control, in a tight 'cone of fire'. If anyone wants to do rapid-fire at any of my events, they have to be able to clearly demonstrate this level of proficiency first.

As we all know, even one 'wild shot' could lead to serious problems, not the least of which could be the permanent loss of the range for everyone.

E-mail me,  carla@tactical-link.com  if you've any interest in activities at the Metcalf 200yd range.

cheers

Carla

V

Welcome Carla.

From the information you supply it would look that the best use which could be made of a Thursday slot as you describe would be to hold what we call Appleseed "Minis".

A normal Appleseed requires exclusive use of a range for a weekend and qualified instructors must be in attendance to make it an official event etc.

A mini is just a group of people getting together on a range and agreeing to shoot Appleseed targets, the Appleseed way for their own practice and improvement. They are usually arranged by Appleseeders trying to get others interested in attending a full Appleseed, or by people who want to get ready for the day when an Appleseed comes close enough for them to finally attend.

I'll bring this to our state co-ordinators attention and let you know if there's any group in the area. Have you attended an AS? Would you want to run a mini?

Cheers
V

SavageShootr

Carla

Welcome to the forum. What a kind offer. Thank you for your interest in forwarding the program.

Appleseed is a Heritage organization. We hold two day Rifle Marksmanship clinics combined with Revolutionary War History. While there is a possibility of holding an AS during the week, mostly they are weekend events.

We have what we call Mini-Appleseeds. A mini is a condensed version of an Appleseed, mainly shooting at the same targets we would use at a regular Appleseed. There is no charge to attend a mini. I am not sure how it would work to
rent a range to hold a mini, but that would not be my decision.

I hope to see you and your partner on the Appleseed trail.

~SS

Carla

V, and SS,

I spoke with the Metcalf range facility manager today, and he said that he would be willing to make the 200 yard side available for an 'Appleseed Mini' on a Thursday, on condition that a rangemaster personally known to him, such as myself, would be responsible for safety and other range use issues.

I am willing to host the event, on that basis, subject to my own review of the Appleseed Mini course of fire. (I can't imagine that there should be anything to which I could reasonably object, in the Appleseed Mini program, but I would need to review and understand the program before committing myself. It would be my impression that any possible issues involving newbies and M1 Garand class rifles will already have been worked out quite adequately by the program directors)

He said that he would ask the same 'range use fee' as that paid by the various local clubs and shooting groups who now use the range for their events, $4.25 per person, per day.

That isn't free, to be sure. Would attendees likely be willing to pay that level of use fee?

Given that Thursdays are a 'work day' for many people, is it practical to consider holding such an event on a Thursday? Could there be enough attendees to make the event feasible?

Let me know what you think ........   carla@tactical-link.com

cheers

Carla

SavageShootr

Carla,

Range fees are not a problem. Most of the ranges we use have them.

I am not capable of going up to Santa Clara for a mini. I live in the Los Angeles area. V does as well but if he wants to make the trip, that would be his choice. I will keep my eyes open for someone who might want to take that on who is in the area up there.

We don't have many Instructors up North yet but we are working on it. We held a successful full Appleseed last weekend near Sacramento. We managed to sign a few folks up who are willing to help us teach others Heritage and Marksmanship.

Thank You for your offer and your interest in Appleseed.

~SS

Francis Marion

You know, Carla, even if central CA doesn't have a core (pun intended) of local instructors (just yet), there's no reason you can't invite folks to just show up and shoot in the interim.  You can print off 1 inch square targets, and practice- and teach- the drills you learned at the AS.  Practice sling use, natural point of aim, have a Gremlin hunt- organize a session, and see what folks can learn from each other.  In theory, all you need to hold a mini AS is at least one coach who has been to at least one Appleseed, and one shooter.  In short months, you'll have some official, local instructors.  For now, though, there's no reason to hold back or wait- teach and reach!  You know enough now to assure attendees have a productive session.  Positions, six steps, sling use... you know something about all these.  And ask questions on the forum if stuck. 
Good moxie, Carla.

JerryZ

Checking in from Laguna Hills. Closest to Corona, but never shot there. I am familiar with Lytle Creek Firing Line (San Bernardino on your list of Appleseed sites).

I am glad to see it listed for an Appleseed. I used to shoot there when the CMP matches were held every month a few years ago now.

Attended first day of Piru Appleseed last month. I plan to be at either Corona or San Bernardino for the April 18-19 Appleseed.

I am getting up to speed with Appleseed. I read Paul Revere's Ride and passing out fliers and spreading the word by email and face to face. Still a cook - hope to

make rifleman in April.

LayloPro

Hey Jerry,

good to hear from you, and also that you are already doing the "7th Step", the word of mouth advertising that marks the success of this program.

I will be at the Lytle Creek shoot (yeah....the "boss") %), and we will be using the CMP range portion that you already know about.
It took a bit to get Lytle Creek going, but if you can help advertise with any shooters you know from there, it will be a great help.....I keep waking up in a cold sweat that it will be the only AS on 4/19 that has nobody show up for......this old, & I -still- have nightmares..... $$-0 :))

We will have a good great group of instructors there, & believe me when I tell you no one will be more excited than I, if we can get you to a RM status that weekend..... 8) O0

See you there!!
Laylopro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

JerryZ

Well you have one - I signed up this morning. I would so like to see that old CMP range at Lytle Creek used for Appleseed every month. I feel that is it's destiny. So far everyone I have interested in the Appleseed is planning for Corona because it is closer. I am going to work on filling up Lytle Creek Event so we can get that one up and going.

LayloPro

Cool deal!!  ;)  O0
Thank you!

I appreciate the help on this.
The CMP line there will handle 30+ people with no problem, and has the added advantage to being off to the side, out of the way of the other ranges. I didn't even know it was there until Jeff B. had me go down to check it out & measure it...... @@)
It would be great to have enough interest there to do a monthly shoot (ala Piru), and we can certainly handle that if it does....I get the impression that LCSR would not be adverse to that either...... ^-^

If the folks you know want to go to Corona instead, that is certainly their option.....they are both great ranges.....but I think the bonding with "Nature" can be better sometimes when you don't have all the lovely "Poo-generators" around.....(much as I love them.... :P)

I look forward to seeing you there!! Bring your friends!! O0

P51

Troy checking in from the Central valley.
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan 40th President.

BaldDragn

Welcome Troy! How far are you from Stockton?

After taking a second look at your posts I see you're in Clovis... Good! We need some people in Fresno also. Glad to have people checking in so near.

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

artkat2

Andy from Los Osos going to my first Appleseed 18 Apr at the SLOSA
Can't wait!
I do regard with horror a state of affairs which would make our country both unready and unwilling to defend its honor.
George S. Patton jr

BaldDragn

Welcome Artcat!

My first Appleseed was in January. If you enjoy it half as much as I did you'll have a blast.

SAPPER STEEL!

eaglescouter

Can we have a "welcome to California check in" that is separate for Northern, Central vs Southern California?  The south guys are cool, but 14 hours is a bit much for me to drive right now......
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

V

Quote from: eaglescouter on April 10, 2009, 02:13:09 AM
Can we have a "welcome to California check in" that is separate for Northern, Central vs Southern California?  The south guys are cool, but 14 hours is a bit much for me to drive right now......
What you mean like this one here?

Its been up awhile and is stickied below the main checkin...

When we get up your way from central we can start a norcal one as well.

Welcome, look forward to working with you on the trail

Cheers
Phil "V"

eaglescouter

Quote from: V on April 10, 2009, 01:47:15 PM
Quote from: eaglescouter on April 10, 2009, 02:13:09 AM
What you mean like this one here?

Its been up awhile and is stickied below the main checkin...

When we get up your way from central we can start a norcal one as well.

Welcome, look forward to working with you on the trail

Cheers
Phil "V"

V,  Thank you for understanding the spirit in which this proposal was intended.

es
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)