News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to the California Board - Check-in

Started by bob 210, June 23, 2008, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalpatriot

Hello All,

I was speaking to a friend in New Mexico who is active in Appleseed.  I have always wanted to get involved but it never made it to the top of my priority list.  He told me to move it to the top today....and here I am.

I hope to participate soon.  Thanks for being here.

John
Honor Your Oath to the Constitution and Restore the Republic.

LayloPro

Hey John,

Your friend was being true to you.....this -is- something to be doing, which makes it much more personal, and unique.
Hope you're planning on coming out to Corona this weekend, or to Burro Canyon in Azusa the following weekend.....
We look forward to seeing you soon!! O0

We have some friends out in NM as well....could even be the same folks, eh? @)
TTYS
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

JustJeff

Quote from: socalpatriot on December 07, 2010, 09:26:10 PM
Hello All,

I was speaking to a friend in New Mexico who is active in Appleseed.  I have always wanted to get involved but it never made it to the top of my priority list.  He told me to move it to the top today....and here I am.

I hope to participate soon.  Thanks for being here.

John

Welcome to (the) asylum John!!  You're going to run into a LOT of people you will absolutely enjoy spending time with.  Read the posts.... spend some time getting to know the folks... get yourself registered for that 1st Appleseed....  All things which will help ease your mind.

QuoteWe have some friends out in NM as well....could even be the same folks, eh?
Not yet.... but some of your friends are mine as well ;)
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

LayloPro

Not yet.... but some of your friends are mine as well

I believe so, Sir.....I believe so..... O0 O0 O0
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

SoulMan

New rifleman as of 15 December, 2010, checking in. Persistence paid off. Francis Marion, LayloPro, Rocketman, CHSR, thanks for your help. Looking forward to see you soon.
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

jkcerda

New here, looking forward to the events, taking my kids to the April event, hope there is still room for March's event.

Justin

Look forward to seeing you jkcerda! April should be great! What location for March were you looking at?
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

DocBach

Hi, my names Lars, signed my wife and I up for an Appleseed shoot to help her learn marksmanship fundamentals. She says I'm too mean when I try to teach her - I am a squad designated marksman qualified infantryman and I guess my training methods are a little too Army for her. Hopefully we both shoot rifleman - going to bring Marlin 795 LTRs, a little different then my usual M16A4 with ACOG.   ;)
"Soldier, you need to turn off that ACOG before the batteries die" PMI Instructor, Subject Matter Expert

Sicktone

Hello, Jonathan here...

Just finished my first Appleseed in Escondido.  It was a great experience.  I had a lot to UN-learn about shooting.  :o

I can honestly say that each person from the staff taught me at least one significant skill to develop my rifle skills.  Special thanks to Lock3 who helped me through some major sight-adjustment/technique problems during a series of qualification tests.  I have lots to practice.  I hope to bring my brother-in-law and father-in-law to another Appleseed in the near future.

I'm glad to be a part of this!!!

ChadC

Hi!
Chad here from San Diego. Just made rifleman at the Escondido shoot. What a great experience for my daughter and I. We both learned so much. ALL the instrictors were fantastic and extremely helpful.
I especially want to thank 22calgal for being so wonderful with my daughter. It made a world of difference for her.  :)
-Chad

SavageShootr

Welcome Chad, Jonathan, Lars, John, jkcerda and Applesauce!

Glad you made it here. Hope to see you all on the trail.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

passinthru

A special welcome to Jonathan and Chad (I was instructing at the EF&GA Appleseed) and a general welcome to the rest of you.
The group that was at this Appleseed was GREAT, very attentive all the time, prepared to learn and shoot, and very receptive to our HERITAGE, a big thank you to you all.  I think there were 7 new Riflemen and 1 Re-qualifier (after not shooting for 7 months).  Looking forward to seeing you at your NEXT APPLESEED...................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

ChadC

THANK YOU Steve! It was a real pleasure to meet you.
-Chad

Sicktone

Thank you Steve for helping me through my rifle strap issues (buying gear does not supersede knowledge).

Chad, that was some exemplary fatherhood this weekend.  Your daughter fought through some tough situation:  being setup next to the "loud rifle section" and being subjected to very challenging rifle training.  22calgal was awesome with her (I'm proud to be her neighbor). 
I heard you patiently coaching your daughter during every round and you still showed amazing skills with YOUR rifle.  Your daughter (I know her name, but am respecting privacy) looked so proud of herself on Sunday.  Priceless...

One of many great stories I witnessed this weekend.  Thanks again all!

TowedJumper

Hey all!  Just checking in as instructed.  Looking for a little diversion and to re-learn some of the old skills I picked up at Benning back in 94.  Attending my first Appleseed this coming weekend after hearing about it on Tuesday so I guess i will see exactly how bad things have fallen off since I was in the Army.
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

SavageShootr

Welcome TowedJumper

Thank You for your service and have a great time!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

BlueDog333

Hello California from one of your newest Riflemen. I'll be back as a shooter again at least once and plan on getting that awsome Winterseed patch someday and voluntering also. Mabey I'll be able to convince the Big Bear range to let us have a winter event up there since they close down all winter.

Mr Pete

Welcome Dog!

Nice to see more of you!

-Pete
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

passinthru

Bluedog,
     A California  'Winter event' that close to major population areas (they drive up there to ski don't they?) would be GREAT.
Keep working on that
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

BlueDog333

Quote from: Mr Pete on October 06, 2011, 04:01:31 AM
Welcome Dog!

Nice to see more of you!

-Pete

Thank's for letting me borrow your LTR last month at the Corona 210 Pete. I was having a problem with your clear ruger magazines though and needed help getting them to eject from your 10/22 so I ended up using my black ruger magazines instead. Is there any trick to remove the clear mags easier?

Cowboy Accountant

I attended my first Appleseed in Sacramento last weekend.  I look forward to becoming more involved with the organization.

SavageShootr

Welcome Sicktone, BlueDog333 and Cowboy Accountant!

TowedJumper

Quote from: Cowboy Accountant on October 20, 2011, 10:30:01 PM
I attended my first Appleseed in Sacramento last weekend.  I look forward to becoming more involved with the organization.

We in the organization look forward to the reverse as well!  Those of us in the organization look forward to becoming more involved along side you!  Hopefully I will make it up to Sacramento sometime soon!
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

Dagdason

Hello Fellow Marksmen - I am in the Sacramento area and have been shooting for a few years, but not as much as I would like. I own three rifles and a shotgun. One of the rifles is a M1-carbine and the other is a Lee-Einfield Jungle carbine. If someone would like to help me learn to sight these weapons and improve my skills, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I use to belong to the Folsom gun club, however since my son went into the Navy (submariner) and my daughter went off to college, I have no one to shoot with so I let the membership lapse.

I am very interested in attending events and can bring my Marlin 60 with me as well.

Hope to see you all soon

Doc ^:)^

George Hacker

Quote from: Dagdason on December 07, 2011, 04:36:38 PM
I use to belong to the Folsom gun club, however since my son went into the Navy (submariner) and my daughter went off to college, I have no one to shoot with so I let the membership lapse.
I'm sure the California Appleseed crew will respond shortly to answer your questions.

If you can get your membership reinstated, you may want to do that.  I am on a 2-year waiting list to join a gun club that I frequent often.  I have a couple Appleseed friends that I like to shoot with since I've attended an Appleseed.  When I go alone to shoot, I take some practice targets and Appleseed redcoat and AQT targets and continue to improve my shooting.  Far fewer rounds are burned up because I am more intentional.  Also the "weird" Appleseed targets get me in conversation with other shooters at the range so I can encourage them to attend an Appleseed as well (I frequently leave them with a new redcoat target and an Appleseed flier).  The only thing I don't like about the range is that there are a lot of restrictions on position shooting.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

JeepDave

I'm really interested attending my first Appleseed. I've just finished my first LTR a Marlin 795 and now working on a 10/22 LTR. I saw in the 2011 calender that there were some shoots in Mariposa. I don't see any for 2012. Have they just not been added yet or they not having any there?

I'm also interested in becoming an instructor so lets hope I can hold my own.

Mr Pete

Hey Dave,

The schedule is being settled so it should be posted soon.

I see a tendency to over-prepare for Appleseeds.  My recommendation is that once you have the minimum prepared then just go to one. 

As far as being an instructor we require that you attend at least two Appleseeds to understand what we are about.  Once you have that requirement then you can request to enter the Instructor In Training program.  The program consists of practical and written tests where you'll work and hone skills with a Shoot Boss.  To earn the "Red Hat" as a full instructor you'll also need to be able to shoot the expert score on an AQT consistently.

If you have any questions feel free to Private Message (PM) me.

-Pete
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

BuckleNose

Hi folks, I'm a little slow but finally opened my eyes and saw this Welcome folder.  In any event I 'captured' my Rifleman patch at the Sunland, December 17-18 event.  Thanks SavageShootr and Mr Pete for easing me home.  Looking forward to growing as an IIT.
BuckleNose

BuckleNose

Quote from: BlueDog333 on October 06, 2011, 02:53:47 AM
Hello California from one of your newest Riflemen. I'll be back as a shooter again at least once and plan on getting that awsome Winterseed patch someday and voluntering also. Mabey I'll be able to convince the Big Bear range to let us have a winter event up there since they close down all winter.

BlueDog, marvelous!  I've been having nightmares about driving to Michigan, or some such place, to participate in a Winterseed.  This could be my salvation...!  O0
BuckleNose

BlueDog333

Quote from: BuckleNose on January 07, 2012, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: BlueDog333 on October 06, 2011, 02:53:47 AM
Hello California from one of your newest Riflemen. I'll be back as a shooter again at least once and plan on getting that awesome Winterseed patch someday and volunteering also. Maybe I'll be able to convince the Big Bear range to let us have a winter event up there since they close down all winter.

BlueDog, marvelous!  I've been having nightmares about driving to Michigan, or some such place, to participate in a Winterseed.  This could be my salvation...!  O0
My instructor last time I went and made rifleman told me the conditions for the winter seed patch are harsh. He told me that usually temps are sub zero, but the ground MUST be blanketed in snow and it also MUST be snowing. This is all to teach a Rifleman what they must do to keep their rifle functioning when it gets so hot it melts snow then when it cools the water freezes back up on the action making it inoperable. I still really want to get a Winterseed event up there eventually but with record high temps this season it isn't going to happen unless we get some major El Nino weather. With temps in the 70s and 80s in So Cal right now and women at the beach in bikinis doesn't global warming suck? ::)

I'd like to start trying to coordinate an event with the RWVA and the Big Bear range some time in summer this year and see if there is enough interest to convince the range to open up for one weekend next winter. If we could convince some sponsors to come and give some prizes and a few rifles away like the huge Corona 210 event last year I'm sure we can get at least fifty people to sign up. We could call it the Appleseed Big Bear Big Freeze. There's other entertainment at the resort that would also be a big draw for families and women.