News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Niles, MI July 7-8, 2012

Started by SteelThunder, July 09, 2012, 07:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Holy cow!  That was a scorcher!  Both from the heat/humidity and also the "fire in the belly" of some really amazing and dedicated Americans who came out to shoot.  But first, let's back up a little...

The Niles shoot started out by a few instructors getting together on Friday to go salmon lying fishing. More on that later but if you want the pictures from that trip, go here...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=30494.0

We had a total of 18 dedicated shooters who gobbled up instruction and history on Saturday.  We ran two lines and saw great improvement and flashes of brilliance as we turned on the fire hose of marksmanship and heritage.  Positions got built, steps got followed and NPOAs were discovered and routinely found!  My favorite was Dan whose groups shrunk from 6-7 MOA to 3-4 MOA after the NPOA instruction.  This stuff works!

On Saturday, the students also gobbled up a delicious lunch.  Our intrepid Blue Hat, Pitmaster, took those salmon we caught on Friday and made fresh grilled salmon and chilled salads for lunch on Saturday.  (That resulted in a "net to gut" time of less than 24 hours).  He follow that up on Sunday with smoked pulled BBQ pork!  (Note to self...invite Pitmaster to every Appleseed from now on)

Sunday brought a slightly smaller group of shooters back.   We condensed to one line and proceeded to start knocking out AQTs, reviewing the fundamentals, working on drills and generally seeing skills rise.  About mid-afternoon, several of us went to the 200 yard line to apply some of those rifleman skills and prove that what you learn at 25 M works "all the way out there".  We set up a full size steel target at 200 yards and started hammering away with 3 M1As, 2 ARs and a hex receivered Mosin-Nagant.  It was the sound of FREEDOM!

Thanks again to everyone for coming out and having such positive, receptive attitudes.  We look forward to coming back to Niles soon!

Steel
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

MadHatter

Wow! It sounds like it was a great weekend!  :) Wish I was there! And really?! It figures! The Appleseed I'm NOT at is the one with "gourmet lunch food"! :slap:
"Glove up!" Wizard
"Those who stand for nothing fall for everything." Alexander Hamilton

SteelThunder

Pics up now.  Hopefully Grindstone can add some from the KD range and other vantage points I missed.  Note that intheburbs can only be seen in the very early morning Saturday pics wearing the shooting jacket...I think it was to shield him from that Spartans pop-up back there!

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Grindstone

OK more pics here.

What a great shoot, and a great bunch of shooters.

Saturday Morning

KD Line

send it!

"c" shaped trigger finger

Multi-talented (triple armed) waveman

Bruce

Kicker

I think he likes it!

Clank!

ITB

Another great event in the books.  It was an honor and a privilege to spend the weekend with such a great group of Americans. 

Thanks to Pitmaster for the wonderful food, ample hydration supplies, and support to make this event a success.

Thanks to all the students who gutted it out on Saturday in the face of 100° heat.  While no one shot a Rifleman score, you all showed that you have that most important quality in a Rifleman - persistence.   We saw much improvement on Sunday, and I expect to be passing out some Rifleman patches at our next event at BORCC.

And thanks to a great group of instructors - Steel, Grinder, Waveman, TC, NWIeng and Gibson - you guys made my job easy.  Extra thanks for getting the lines torn down so fast; it seemed like I blinked and everything was stowed back in the DAT.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

R1SGx2

Nice job by all,
18 shooters, sweet.

Thank you all for attending, the 200 yard KD looks like was an eye opener for a few.

Temps at 100degrees, nice to see all stayed and work thru it.  O0 O0 :bow: :bow:

Remember - dry fire and as you saw, NPOA works... Trust and believe in it...

Quote3 M1As, 2 ARs and a hex receivered Mosin-Nagant. It was the sound of FREEDOM!
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Bubba622

Thank you to all of the instructors at this event! I had a great time and learned a great amount about marksmanship AND the events leading up to the start of the Revolutionary War.
I am a novice with rifles and feel I made great strides this weekend! I WILL DEFINITELY be going to future Appleseed events so I can get the Rifleman score!

Pitmaster

I will have more to say when I get a little time.  However, I would like to say that the instructors did an outstanding job.

My niece who is 8 yrs old attended her first Appleseed. Here is a photo of her 25m drill target after we switched her to a scoped rifle. She wasn't on paper with iron sights. I'm off to get a scope and youth stock now.

Her mother shot a 190 AQT after missing Saturday because of work, arriving a little late Sunday, and some excellent tutoring by TC. She had only shot about 20 rounds through a 10/22 once before coming. I see a rifleman soon.

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Mr_O

Note to self (and anyone else who doesn't want to make a stupid mistake the day before their Appleseed Project event:

When the gun is shooting well, DO NOT remove the barrel from the receiver of your 10/22 for cleaning the day before your event. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/wallbash.gif

Saturday was very frustrating for myself and Mrs_O largely because of the mistake that I made (with both guns of course).  Imagine spending two months preparing for Appleseed, being able to shoot reasonably well, looking forward to learning more and you are literally unable to hit the Redcoat paper during the first shoot. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/tickedoff.gif  I had heard the phase "trying to drink from a fire hose" before.  Appleseed presents a lot of information to be absorbed as quickly as possible.  Trying to absorb that information and figure out what to do to correct the problem you created is not a lot of fun.  Despite the challenges, we made it thru the first day.  We took our guns home and after cooling off and a short nap, I realized what I did.  The guns were once again disassembled, everything was aligned and we made a quick trip back to the range to check the sight alignment.

Sunday was much better, but because it built on what was taught Saturday there was considerable catch-up work to be done.  We learned a lot more, more quickly, when we didn't have to worry about the guns.  It was easier to concentrate on the history presentations because of the reduced stress.  I am not sure that my gun is shooting were it is supposed to yet, but it was close enough for me to see improvement in my shooting.  We didn't shoot Rifleman scores but we did win a couple of flags shooting at the star.  We are already planning when we will attend our next Appleseed event.

A couple of suggestions:
A class syllabus would be very helpful.  Add a clipboard to the equipment list that everyone is encouraged to bring.  Leave room on the syllabus to take notes.  I believe this would help a lot of people to absorb the information presented more quickly and will provide a good source of review after the event.
Have all of the history presenters use visual aids as much as possible and practice using them before their fellow instructors before the event.  I will not quickly forget the story of the Grenadiers and their surrender to a lady collecting greens to eat, thanks to the picture that the presenter used to enhance his presentation.

Thank you to all the instructors and presenters.  Everything that you did for us is greatly appreciated.  We look forward to seeing you at future events.
"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should." - Captain Levi Preston of Danvers

Fischer, David Hackett (1995-04-19). Paul Revere's Ride (Kindle Location 2898). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

SteelThunder

Bubba622

Glad you enjoyed yourself!  You showed real improvement and showed it over on the KD range behind that AR.  Hope to see you again!  Come on back to Michigan...we'd love to have you.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

SteelThunder

Mr_O

It was a pleasure to have you and "the Mrs" on our line.  You both showed great attitudes and improvement.  I can tell you will be back...check out the link below for a list of the next events

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=MI&statename=Michigan

Also appreciate the feedback.  As you state, it's great idea to take notes and a small pad/pen is useful.  One suggestion would be to pick up "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman".  Read it (it is a good overview of the course) and make notes on it from your experience.  That will really help cement the lessons in your mind.  Just remember:  Steady Hold Factors for the positions, The Six Steps to Firing the Shot, NPOA. 

Also agree on the props...usually we have a Brown Bess, a map of Battle Road and a few other things to make the history "come alive".  Glad you remembered my Dangerous Old Man discussion of David Lamson and Mother Bathrick.  I just assumed it was my stellar speaking abilities...not the props **) ^:)^
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Mr_O

SteelThunder

Of course it was your "stellar speaking abilities"  ;), that is why I said the picture "enhanced" the presentation.

We are seriously considering the September event at Watervliet and of course the yet to be scheduled October event at BORCC.

Thanks again!
"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should." - Captain Levi Preston of Danvers

Fischer, David Hackett (1995-04-19). Paul Revere's Ride (Kindle Location 2898). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

Pitmaster

Wow, what a great weekend in spite of the temperature. Thanks to SteelThunder for bringing the idea of BORCC hosting an Appleseed. As usual, July was extremely hot in Niles, MI. The dedication and hearts of riflemen was present throughout the weekend. A fine group of people attended this weekend. I had the pleasure of coordinating this event between Bend of the River Conservation Club and Project Appleseed. The Project Appleseed folks were great to work with throughout the process. I would like to thank TreadCarefully, Steel Thunder, Swamp Thing, Gibson, Waveman, intheburbs, and James for outstanding instruction.

I brought six new shooters to this event, an 8-year-old girl, four women, and one young adult. Every single one of them complimented me about how great the instruction was. The patience and professionalism of the instructors surprised 2 of the older women. All of them brought the most important component necessary, the teachable attitude. They struggled and triumphed through the adverse heat conditions and the frustrations of learning something they were not familiar. They all became much more confident and comfortable with the shooting community.

I am especially proud of my wife, Mary who had never shot a rifle, decided to learn, and struggled through eye dominance and rifle issues and went from not seeing the target to getting some hits. Mary was so dedicated that while I was praising my 8-year-old niece she told me to shut up so she could hear. Believe me, that was a joy to my heart.

Sandy is a social worker who works for me part-time. She saw a brochure on my desk, found it interesting and asked me about Appleseed. I explained what Appleseed was and when she commented it sounded fun. I jumped on the old 7th step and told her she could come and I had all the equipment necessary. Sandy registered and came Saturday having never shot a rifle before. Sandy made great progress and had a great time. She was very impressed with the patience the instructors showed. Her perception of the "gun culture" has changed and is now much more positive.

Steve, my nephew was enthused enough to buy a LTR for this event and spent some time learning beforehand. Steve's shooting improved throughout the weekend. Steve is ready to attend the next local event in Watervliet and if time permits Appleseeds around Indianapolis, where he lives.

Lindsey is Steve's girlfriend. What a great job Lindsey. Lindsey's confidence and abilities improved consistently throughout the weekend. Next time, if salmon is on the menu, I will make sure you have better fuel than a microwave hot dog.

Megan, Steve's brother was excited about attending Appleseed with all arrangements made. However, she got a new job the week before and had to work Saturday. Therefore, she missed the first day. Sunday she was a little late, hustling her daughter Natalie out the door. TreadCarefully took her off to the side for some individual tutoring to catch up. Megan took to shooting like a duck to water. Sunday after lunch, Megan shot a 190 on the AQT. There is definitely a rifleman patch coming her way soon. Thanks TC.

Megan's daughter and my niece Natalie is a very active 8 year old who demonstrated maturity, patience, and concentration throughout this 2-day event. Natalie struggled the first day with a Mossberg Plinkster trying to get on paper. She was outstanding with safety, paying attention, and operating the rifle. After mentioning to one of the instructors the problem, they suggested switching her to a scoped rifle. Intheburbs came to the rescue by loaning a rifle for Natalie to use. Natalie immediately began doing much better as you can see in the target above. She started putting groups slightly bigger than a silver dollar together Sunday. She will soon have her own Appleseed Rifle just for her. A 10/22 with a Houge overmolded, youth pink stock, and a Nikon 6725 rimfire scope.

Unfortunately, due to the number of inexperienced shooters I brought, wanting them to be as comfortable as possible, a minor strain from reeling in fish the day before, and minor surgery the previous week I did not shoot this weekend. Listening to the instruction and teaching Natalie definitely reinforced more understanding and abilities. I have not been able to get to the range and shoot but hope to a little later today.

I want to give a great big Huzzah to Gibson. With this country in the hands of youth like Gibson, we will not have to worry about the future. Gibson has a maturity beyond her age, leadership skills that are unmatched to most adults, confidence with enough humility that demands respect, and enthusiasm for the cause. Huzzah.

We will be having another Appleseed this year in October. I will be making a proposal to the board of directors Thursday night and sending the paperwork in Friday. The pre-instructor event has been booked and reserved. Salmon makes a great Saturday lunch.

I will be at the Fenton, MI Appleseed this month with another brand new shooter to introduce to the cause. Huzzzzah

The fishing wasn't bad either

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member