News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

LEWISTOWN, PA,,, A.A.R. 07-08 JUL 2012

Started by sgtrock, July 09, 2012, 09:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

The Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association, Inc,,, Lewistown, PA    07-08 JUL 2012

This was the Appleseed event to be at if you like Hot Weather,, 105 degrees on the range, with reports of 109 coming in from club officers from surrounding areas that stopped by to say hello.

We had 7 very dedicated Americans on the line. States represented were PA, NY, CT,

With the heat being ever so prevalent, we came prepared with hydration materials to wet down an army, with the overhead cover on this range though, it sure saved us from baking in the sun, but it was still very hot to levels that I don't care for, but with breaks for cooling down and instruction it was manageable.

Lewistown's own Alicia and Mark did very well and were a joy to have on the line, and Marks performance at 300yds with an EO-tech red dot on an AR-15 .223 was Outstanding, very nice shooting Sir, I hope to see both of you again, I am glad to have met you.

Then comes Dave, who hails from York, PA and his 3rd Appleseed event, did very well with a 25m zero at 200yds with an clone HK-91, and is very consistent on the AQT's with 208's at the 25m line, I believe he might be doing another event next weekend, where ever he goes, he will be a pleasure to have on the line, till the next time Sir.

From Connecticut came 3 men that did very well, they camped on the range in this heat and did very well on both the 25m line and at KD, An AR-10 with Jeremy at the controls did a very respectable group of 3 moa at 200yds with his fine tuned KD zero, Daniel with a 22rf was shooting 4moa and ringing steel at 200yds, Gerard gave a fine showing and he will be to another event shortly.

Then,
    Lynn (microred) from our Home range of Burlington Flats,NY did an Outstanding job at stacking an impressive 218 and 216 scores on the AQT at the 25m line, the 218 was stage by stage and the 216 score was a Rapidfire AQT proving to herself that she is adaptable to just about anything that we can throw at her.
    With the Determined mindset of a true American Patriot she accepted the Orange Hat  to become another New York Instructor.
    With that great accomplishment done., She proceeded to dominate the KD range at 300yds with her Iron sighted AR-15 with groups of less than 4moa,,,
     I do believe that Lewistown just might become one of the top ranges on her list to instruct at in the near future,,,
Congratulations Lynn on a job Very Well done, I am glad to know you and glad to call you my friend.
     Lewistown maybe a bit of a drive but it is worth it, with its 1000yd range it is a sight to behold.

I would like to Thank Chainsaw,  PA's State Coordinator for the opportunity to come down to this most beautiful of states and help out with the mission of saving this country.

I'd also like to thank Dan (Odin) again from The Burlington Flats Crew for riding down with me to help with this shoot, Thank you my friend...

pictures are forth coming by others that were there, for my camera is still MIA.

sgtrock

SSG Platz

Thanks for coming out to PA Rock, I don't make it out that far, The farthest I go is Palmerton, which I was at this past weekend with Chainsaw, hopefully we will meet one day.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

sgtrock

Roger That Sergeant, I would like to get to Palmerton soon as well, see you on the trail

sgtrock

R1SGx2

Rock, 105, remember that when the snow and cold hits in a few months, down to 45 last night in Saratoga.

1000 yard range, not many left around, bragging rites are in order for those who shot there, sounds like Mifflin County Sportmen Association is a very nice place to visit and shoot.

Shooters from three States, nice representation of the Northeast, Microred, nice shooting and welcome.

Jeremy, an AR-10 two things to remember, expensive to shoot and heavy to handle for a whole weekend.

Remember, dry fire and NPOA works - believe and trust in it, and always bring in your bag a teachable attitude.

Shooters and Instructor Corps...Good job....
O0 :bow:
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

microred

What a great weekend it was at Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association.  Despite 105 degrees and 79 % humidity, we all survived and had a great time.  I thought the Appleseed shoot at Burlington Flats in June was hot, but this was HOT!  Sgt Rock was prepared with lots of ice, water, breaks, wet towels and wet hats, he had everything under control.  He and Odin kept an eye on everyone and gave frequent breaks to prevent heat exhaustion.

Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association is a beautiful range to shoot at.  Overhead cover was our saving grace.  The long distance range out to a 1000 yards was incredible!!!  What a treat to shoot at that range.  If you haven't been there, you should treat yourself.  Believe me, you'll want to go back.

It was great meeting and shooting with David, Alicia, Mark, Daniel, Jeremy and Gerard.  It's great to watch everyone challenge themselves and I hope to see them all again...hint hint guys, come on up to Burlington Flats!!

The highlight of my weekend was the Honor of being offered the Orange Hat after shooting a 218 on the stage by stage AQT on Saturday.  Thanks Odin for making my heart drop, my stomach getting sick and feeling like I was going to burst into tears when you told me I just missed scoring the Expert score.  You got me good!!!  I was so sure I had it...but a Rifleman doesn't cry, so I held it in and sucked it up and said I would have to just go for it again, but with the heat I kind of lost my smile.  I was really down...then Sgt Roc called my name, said I made it and offered me the HAT.  It was an HONOR to accept it...it has been my goal from my first Appleseed in March.  I am so excited to become an Instructor and work with such extrordinary people like Sgt Roc, Odin, Briana, Ethan and Austin...they are all true Patriots!!  I am proud to be a part of such a great organization and have the opportunity to help teach others about our Heritage and proper Marksmanship.  On Sunday, I decided I had to challenge myself again.  I wanted to score Expert with Rapid Fire and was thrilled when I did.  Next out to shoot Known Distance and I was pretty happy with the results.

As always, the best part was the history that Odin and Sgt Rock presented.  I will never tire of hearing it!!!  They present it with such passion and emotion.  You will never walk away without understanding the importance of what happened on April 19, 1775. 

Odin...thank you for all your encouragement!!!  I took everything you told me to heart and it kept me grounded.  It has been my pleasure and honor to get to know you and now call you my friend!!  You are a true Patriot!!  I am looking forward to the Aug 4&5 Appleseed Shoot at Burlington Flats and the September shoot.  I am looking forward to getting together on the range and shooting with you.  You challenge me to make me want to shoot better.  Thanks for all the laughs and great weekend...it was the BEST!!!

Sgt Roc...I don't know where to begin to thank you.  Your passion about RWVA and it's message was what made me want to become an Instructor.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the extra time and patience you gave me on the range to improve my skills.  You have taught me so much, and I know there is so much more for me to still learn, so, I am willing to learn all you are willing to teach me.  I bet you are glad I finally have my hat so you can have some time on the range for yourself.  You inspire me to want to be a better Patriot, to be as great a Patriot as you are.  It was such an HONOR to accept the Hat from you.  It has truly been an honor to get to know you and call you my friend!!  It's not the number of friends you have, but the quality of the friends you have.  You and Odin are the BEST!!!  Thank you for the GREAT weekend, all the laughs....it was the BEST!!!  Looking forward to becoming an Instructor you will be proud of.

Odin

This was my first shoot in the state of Pennsylvania and it was a great one to be at.  The range at Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association is something to behold.  I'm itching to get back there and try my hand at hitting targets at 1000 yards.  The people there made me feel like I was back at BFlats, they were all very kind and hospitable.

This weekend our students learned to preserve under the intense heat and humidity of a PA summer.  Preserve they did, as Sgtrock mentioned all did well, with some coming very close to the riflemen score.  Then we have Microred (Lynn), who finally achieved her goal.  She has worked very hard to get that score, and truly embodies the character of a rilfewoman.  I will admit that it was a little evil of me to tell her that she had just missed the score, but I wanted her to be surprised when it was announced and she was. 

She has worked hard, and preserved under some grueling additions, I'm proud to be able to call her my friend.  Now that Lynn has put down the rifle (at least on some weekends) and taken up the hat, many more students will benefit from getting to know her and learn from her.  She already is a great asset to the program.  Good Job Microred.

The rest of the shooters, were a pleasure to have.  They were attentive, safe, and kept improving as the weekend went along.  An instructor can't really ask for more then that.

We also had a mascot for this weekend.  A somewhat large black snake stopped by our shoot to pay us a visit on Saturday morning.  He stuck around for a little while checking things out before going off to hunt gerbils or some other type of rodent.

A great weekend, with a great group of patriots, can't ask for more then that.  Ok, maybe just a little bit cooler, but whether its rain, snow, ice or the blazing sun we preserve and carry on.

Pictures to follow shortly.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

Chainsaw

I hate missing shoots in Lewistown.  I'm glad you guys could cover it, thank you very much...

You're welcome here in PA anytime.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Odin

Thanks Chainsaw, I will definitely be back.

Below are some picture of the shoot.  I had to edit a few to try and lighten them, as my camera decided a flash was not needed.

The first two are of Microred getting the score, third she is taking the hat, and the fourth is our mascot for this event.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

microred

OK Odin,

Thanks for the kind words and your help in my mission.  Got some pics of my little friend and some great ones of the range instruction.

sgtrock

The snake was first thing Saturday morning, a great way to start an event,,, I love snakes, especially when they are as big as this guy was,,,, Microred would disagree though, I thought she would run me over getting away from it. But he was just checking out all the vibrations and different smells in the his area of occupation,,, nothing wrong with that...

Stoner

microred

Sgt Roc and Odin...wouldn't you say the snake was really long, I'd say 6 feet, and pretty fat?  He had one too many gerbils or rodents or whatever snakes eat...all I know is I never want to see another one!!!  Sgt, sorry for bowling you over, just couldn't get you out of my way fast enough.  I hope the footprints have faded.  At least I settled down to shoot OK.

SSG Platz

When I was instructing for the army down in New Mexico, I was the guy that had to get all the rattlesnakes and tarantulas off the AO, talk about fun, stand by a port-Ó-John waiting in line with a bunch of Joes in the dark covered in tarantulas and waiting for someone to flash some white light. It was awesome they would all flip out =^)

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

sgtrock

Now that sounds like fun, that could turn into a regular Ol Good Time.

SSG Platz

Yah it's fun to see the look on their face after they have been talking to you for 5 mins and then a light flashes on you and you have this huge spider on your shoulder or head hahahaa

~PlatzOut~

microred

Just a couple of additions

microred

Range Cover...Hot Box!!

And Flags!!

sgtrock

Nice pictures Red

I am planning a vacation at this range, you in?

microred

ABSOLUTELY SGT...Let's plan on when it's a bit cooler.  I'm thinking if it's cooler that the 6 foot black thing will be in hibernation and won't come out.  He ain't no friend of mine.  Odin, you in?

SSG Platz

Should have charged him 60 bucks, and gave him a rifle, I'm sure all he wanted was a Rifleman patch.

~PlatzOut~

Odin

Quote from: microred on July 13, 2012, 12:33:48 AM
ABSOLUTELY SGT...Let's plan on when it's a bit cooler.  I'm thinking if it's cooler that the 6 foot black thing will be in hibernation and won't come out.  He ain't no friend of mine.  Odin, you in?

Yeah, I'm in.  Its a great range and I want to go back, but like you said Red, I won't mind waiting until cooler weather.

Chainsaw

Hey, instructor KD day will be Sat, Sept 1st this year.  ...just need to work out the details.

You guys should go a few days early and we can do some Vandamage.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

sgtrock

I was just talking with microred's husband today on that very topic, we are planning now, for a great KD and fun weekend.

Thanks Tom for all that you do.

Stoner

microred

Sounds like a great plan...can't wait!!

SSG Platz

Quote from: Chainsaw on July 13, 2012, 08:29:16 PM
Hey, instructor KD day will be Sat, Sept 1st this year.  ...just need to work out the details.

You guys should go a few days early and we can do some Vandamage.

I love the VanDam quote!

~PlatzOut~

microred

Odin.  "Lynn your little friend is coming back!"  Somehow it was not quite as funny as you thought it was!   What a great smile!

microred

Range.....Poof!!!