News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Starting a class

Started by Kenobi_fan, July 03, 2012, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenobi_fan

Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about teaching a small class at my farm for people who know nothing about firearms.  I would start with classwork covering safety, technique, history, and overall firearms knowledge.  Along with applying for an FOID and choosing your first gun.  Then we would go out and actually shoot on my range.  My question is, does anybody have any idea what kind of liability or insurance I would need.  This would really be a private class just to instruct people on safe and fun firearms handling but I'd like to be covered if somebody does something really stupid.  How does appleseed cover this problem?

2 clicks low

Appleseed, like all firearms instructors should, has liability insurance. As this is a national program, we have national insurance.

If you want to have a class you would need to get insurance. Many independent instructors get NRA insurance. It covers any class you give. Only down side is you MUST be an NRA instructor.

That being said, as you have a farm, and I assume a suitable area for a range, how about becomeing a DAR (Decicated Appleseed Range). We will bring Appleseed to you. We will provide instructors, knowhow, insurance.... You supply the range.

2 clicks low
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: 2 clicks low on July 03, 2012, 12:49:13 PM
Appleseed, like all firearms instructors should, has liability insurance. As this is a national program, we have national insurance.

If you want to have a class you would need to get insurance. Many independent instructors get NRA insurance. It covers any class you give. Only down side is you MUST be an NRA instructor.

That being said, as you have a farm, and I assume a suitable area for a range, how about becomeing a DAR (Decicated Appleseed Range). We will bring Appleseed to you. We will provide instructors, knowhow, insurance.... You supply the range.

2 clicks low

O0
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Two Wolves

Quote from: Kenobi_fan on July 03, 2012, 11:57:31 AM
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about teaching a small class at my farm for people who know nothing about firearms.  I would start with classwork covering safety, technique, history, and overall firearms knowledge.  Along with applying for an FOID and choosing your first gun.  Then we would go out and actually shoot on my range.  My question is, does anybody have any idea what kind of liability or insurance I would need.  This would really be a private class just to instruct people on safe and fun firearms handling but I'd like to be covered if somebody does something really stupid.  How does appleseed cover this problem?

Why not do an Appleseed event? It's got everything you mentioned and more. ~Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Kenobi_fan

Thanks for the response guys.  I would love to host an appleseed event, but I don't think my range is big enough.  I've built a metal box with wood to eat the bullets.  It easily handles one or two shooters at a time, but I don't think there would be enough room for an appleseed firing line. 

Barbie

Quote from: Kenobi_fan on July 03, 2012, 02:39:50 PM
Thanks for the response guys.  I would love to host an appleseed event, but I don't think my range is big enough.  I've built a metal box with wood to eat the bullets.  It easily handles one or two shooters at a time, but I don't think there would be enough room for an appleseed firing line.

I'm sure some dedicated seeders armed with chainsaws and shovels could solve this problem right quick!   ~~:)

Haha!  **)
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.