News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sig 556

Started by MR B (549), July 02, 2012, 12:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR B (549)

So for those in the know.....I have had a love hate relationship with the SIg Sauer model 556 . I am not going to go into the details of the problems I have had in the past suffice to say that I need to get some feedback regarding alternative sights/scopes for my rifle as I have had endless problems zeroing with the rotary diopter sight which came with the rifle . Has anyone out there had similar problems and what alternatives have you tried and now trust . The theory behind me buying the rifle was twofold . 1 I own sig pistols and have found them to be awesome  2. I wanted a piston AR that was heavy on the front end and easy to maintain .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr B
In a time of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

Green Bean

I shot rifleman with a scoped Sig 522.  I tried different iron sights with no luck. I bought a nice Nikon Prostaff scope and love it. I know my rifle is not a 5.56 but it feels and looks the same as its big brother.  Good luck. 

Quote from: MR B on July 02, 2012, 12:28:36 AM
So for those in the know.....I have had a love hate relationship with the SIg Sauer model 556 . I am not going to go into the details of the problems I have had in the past suffice to say that I need to get some feedback regarding alternative sights/scopes for my rifle as I have had endless problems zeroing with the rotary diopter sight which came with the rifle . Has anyone out there had similar problems and what alternatives have you tried and now trust . The theory behind me buying the rifle was twofold . 1 I own sig pistols and have found them to be awesome  2. I wanted a piston AR that was heavy on the front end and easy to maintain .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr B

MR B (549)

Thanks Green Bean . I'm looking at a Nikon M223 with a bdc ...Anyone out there have any exp with one?
George Orwell

pennys dad

I have a few m223's and used the bdc.  I like the scope. I class it with the Leopold Mark AR 1-4, The M223 has the target turrets but the Mark AR has a smaller foot print. Either will work fine

SSG Platz

I have an ACOG TA31RCO it is fantastic because you can do a lot with it, range estimation, and Engaging targets from 0-800 meters, but most reticals with a BDC are only good for KD also most of them anymore are designed around particular loads. Now I'm not advocating spending 1,800 bucks on an ACOG but a $300 mil dot retical will give you everything you need from a scope, I have a Muler APT scope that I bought for my .22 Training rifle, but currently is resting on my 700 and I couldn't ask for more from it. If you know how to use it you can set it up in any number of ways. For example I set up a 500 yard zero at 25 yards with it the other day. And with that 500 yard zero i can engage targets out to just over 1,500 yards.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

MR B (549)

Thanks guys....I just missed out on an ebay auction for a trijicon ..Wow they do get expensive don't they are they really worth the cash?
George Orwell

MR B (549)

Mr Platz
Any suggestions on a Mil dot? This is all still so new to me .... :-\
George Orwell

SSG Platz

Trijicon are awesome well worth the money, I've seen rifles ran over by vehicles and the scope is fine, also didn't see it happen, but I saw one that took a round, it was retired after that, but it took it and from what I heard saved a life in the process. (disclaimer, saw a pic of the scope and heard the story, like I said not first hand knowledge).

If your looking for a really good mid grade scope I would reccoment the Mueller Optics 4.5-14 AO Tactical, runs around $300.00 and is totally worth it, I personally own one of these, bought it used for $150.00. I've used it now on not only my .22 but my 5.56, and my 308 now and has worked fantastic, I run it with a Larue Tatical LT 111 it's expensive but, I can take my scope on and off and it goes to exactly the same spot each time.

As far as BUIS I run the GG&G pop up iron sights, they work really well, are precise and if my front sight is hot from sitting on the bass block it's no big deal because all I do is hit the button and they are in battery and I'm back in the fight.

Hope this helps

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

MR B (549)

Thanks Mr Platz

Awesome info ...hope to see you on the trails..... :cool2:
George Orwell

TN_Dadx5

Quote from: SSG Platz on July 10, 2012, 01:00:29 AM
If your looking for a really good mid grade scope I would reccoment the Mueller Optics 4.5-14 AO Tactical, runs around $300.00 and is totally worth it, I personally own one of these, bought it used for $150.00. I've used it now on not only my .22 but my 5.56, and my 308 now and has worked fantastic, I run it with a Larue Tatical LT 111 it's expensive but, I can take my scope on and off and it goes to exactly the same spot each time.

~PlatzOut~

SSG, I've never used a mil-dot, but was warned away from mil-dots that have 1/4 moa adjustments but go for the 1/10 mil adjustments.  What's your take on it?

Thanks,
Charlie
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

SSG Platz

Think you may have gotten that backwards, .25 MOA or 1/4 is the most common, there are some out there that are 1/8 moa, which unless you are shooting out to a mile is overkill.  Mil adjustments are good, but your not going to find mils in a mid grade scope, those are all high end over $1,000 scopes, using a squares target you can dial a .25 moa/click scope right in, and if you want to look at your holes on any normal target and make adjustments all you have to do is a little math.         

Mills to MOA
Number of Mils read in your scope multiplyed by 3.438
And for MOA divide by 3.438 to get Mils

To easy, when you first stat using them they are a little intimidating, but once you get use to it you will wonder why you haven't used it sooner.

In regards to scopes that have mil based turrets, I have a Schmit & Bender that is currently on back order with a Horus H37 retical in it and it's just under 5 grand, just to give you an idea of what's up with the what's up.

~PlatzOut~

MR B (549)

SSG Platz

Just to let you know , I took your advice and ordered a Meuller , $169 , I'm back in the game :---
George Orwell

SSG Platz

Awesome, if you need help figuring out your mildots ands stuff feel free to PM me

~PlatzOut~