News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HELLO! MISSOURI APPLESEEDERS WELCOME! and check in

Started by Longshot, June 21, 2008, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot

Hello and welcome to the Missouri State Coordinator board. My screen name is Longshot, and my friends know me as KR.

If you are in Missouri or any surrounding state, please drop me a PM and say HI.

I will be acting as information clearinghouse/ombudsman and working to promote and assist individuals and groups to host Appleseed events within the state and to coordinate with other states and Appleseed Homerange.

If you have ANY questions about ANYTHING Appleseed, I will do my utmost to see that you are helped.

At your service,
Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

davecampperry

Missouri and Oklahoma being contiguous, we need to be friends. I'm Dave. Glad to know you, KR.
"Any one who attempts, or even wishes, to disarm me is my mortal enemy, and is guilty of Treason." Jeff Cooper
Let's stop calling it 'gun control' and start calling it what it is-Treason.

cmidkiff

I wanted to stick my foot in here, though I'm pretty sure that Longshot already knows I'm here.

Longshot, you need help with something, just yell.  Anyone else need a local resource in the Kansas City area, I'd be happy to assist.

Chris

smle

Longshot,

With the front door only a 100 yd. south of the MO line, it just seems natural to throw in my help in this neck of the woods.

See you in Aug.

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

Greg in MO

Hey Longshot,

I'm here with Chris over on the KC side.  Like he said, let us know if you need anything.

Greg

Longshot

Greg,
  Welcome and I hope to meet you at an Appleseed soon.

LS
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Greg in MO

We actually met last October I believe.  No sweat not remembering, there were a lot of folks there.  I should be there again this year, barring emergencies.

Greg

ErikAnderson

Another KC Metro Resident present and voting.  I'm here and it's all cmidkiff's fault  I also blame him for my ever lengthening 'Things to buy' list.  Darn you, Chris!

My bride and I will both be attending the Osage Beach even in October.

Longshot

Erik,

Welcome and look forward to meeting you both in October

Longshot

Missouri Brigade

Hi.  I am from Missouri, but currently live in Illinois.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Rebel Yell

Howdy folks,

Wanted to let ya'll know that I'm on the forums now. I met several of ya at the BC last week, and I had a blast! I'm proud to now be a part of the RWVA, what a great organization with great folks! Thankfully my bud and I made it back home, thanks to Guy and his help on Friday to repair the car. If anyone ever needs anythin', just lemme know. I'm here to help.  :)

I'll see ya'll soon!

Scott "Rebel Yell"

Dug'in

Hey There,
Just a note to introduce myself, my family and I attended the Osage Beach BC.
We all had a great time and amazingly AS made riflemen of not only my brother but my mother (way to go guys) and myself in just a few days.
     Strangest thing is that I met LS years ago when I was just a kid. We are distant relatives and I remember that before my Dad died he would mention that LS "Is into some seed thing and they get together and shoot a bunch". I never put the two together till I saw him at the BC. I believe he was as shocked as I for us to see each other there.
     My son and nephew got in a couple days and are both excited about earning their riflemen patches. The instructors personal attention to doing what they do is just incredable. I have to get those boys to the next event that I can. I will also bring as many others as I can.
     Special thanks to all, you have my admiration and respect. Hope everyone got home safe and I look forward to seeing you again.

DuginMo.

The Guy

DuginMO,

It was awfully pleasant to meet you and the family.  I believe you are what is called a natural shot.  There was never a doubt in my mind that you would succeed.

Tell Grandma hi, and thanks for the cookies and for being there.  Bob too.

Your boy and nephew are just a bit away.  A little more elbow for your boy and he will be there.  Keep on working them.  Becoming an IIT often begins at home for your family and friends.  Ofcourse, it will also see your confidence in what you know build as well as you watch them progress under your eye.

Looking forward to sending you the patches for them when they succeed as well.

See you next year.

Guy

Longshot

DuginMo,

Yeah, it was a bit of a shock...      You all were great. Check the schedule and get to the next shoot you can. Right now the first definite Osage Beach shoot is next April, but that can and should change. If you need anything or have any questions or just want to shoot, you know where to find me.

Tell Grandma I'm working on her pistol, but I'm gonna have to call for tech help to make sure the parts I order will fit this particular model. I should have that done Monday.

Longshot

Dug'in

LS,

Thanks for the reply I would love to come out and do some shooting and bring the boys. 
Will bring my 22 when we pick up Grandma's pistol and maybe you can cut it off a bit. We may be your new best customers.
I am game to help with any appleseed projects that I can, will keep checking the forum. And if you have anything for me to do, let me know. My time is flexible.

DuginMo.

MemaJean

Hi Everyone!  Just want to thank all the fantastic young men and Carla (the only female instructor I saw) who were at the Boot Camp for Project Appleseed in Osage Beach in Oct.  I NEVER expected to get a Rifleman patch!   I just wanted to learn about weapons!  Learn about weapons and a lot more I did, of course I have a lot more to learn, however; Guy and  Odd Ball were perfect examples of perserence - Steve hung in too - and I got my patch! I was just overwhelmed with the attitude of all of you.  Can't remember when I've met so many great people in one place.  Chris, Scott and Bill and so many others helped me out and loaned me rifles.  I so appreciate all of you and am a walking advertisement for Project Appleseed.  You showed me that Appleseed transcends age and physical limitations.  Our country NEEDS Project Appleseed!  I'd be happy to help anyway I can, just let me know. :) Thank you!!!   MemaJean-    :)

MemaJean

MemaJean checking in - just to let Longshot know how much I appreciate his help during the BootCamp - I failed to give him his share of praise in my original letter and I can't do that! Some of us ended up at his house one day and he "so took care of me" that I'd be totally remiss not to publically thank him.    Again, these men are/were something else.  I can hardly wait for another bootcamp.  I really do not feel ready to help another learner, I feel like I need another boot camp and I'm ready to go!  MemaJean

Kevyn

Hey there,

Longshot,

I've registered for 3 of us for the April 19th events! I have to admit, we're all pretty  excited and looking forward to some good instruction,  camaraderie and range time.

I forwarded the equipment list so we're all on the same page. Plenty of time to prepare and sort.

Mr B. is an ex-Army guy who's been through a deployment or three so his experience will hopefully keep us focused. His present duties only require qualification with the M9...but he's never shy'd from a weapon in his life.

Me and Ol' Lindsey are retired AF flight medics. Our only saving grace is age! We're old enough to remember dirt and TV test patterns.

Glad to be on board. Hope to meet you all soon.

Missouri Brigade

Many months away, but I am planning at this time to go to the October 2009 RBC.

The Guy

Never too soon.  I think of annual RBC's like I used to of Christmas, with year long anticipation.

rock-solid

Hello If ican help just let me know. Outside KC metro area.

jaooper

I'm in the Clinton, Mo area and willing to try to help with whatever I can.

Longshot

rock-solid,  jaooper,

Jan. 31-Feb. 1    We will be working on the Osage Beach Designated Appleseed Range. We can use all the help we can get. Should be a good number of folks there, good chance for you to meet everyone and see (maybe tryout) the new range.

Longshot

stopemnow2008

Hi this is Stopemnow2008 from Texas County. I am lookin foreward to learning more, yes I am Very new here.  :) Hope to hear from friends here in Mo and elsewhere.
If we don't care then how can we ask someone else to?

ben1775

Welcome aboard Stopem! Texas County is just a stones throw from Osage Beach so come on out and help us build Missouri's first DAR (dedicated Applessed Range) on January 31 and February 1. Look forward to meetin and workin with ya.

Ben

smle

Welcome Stopem,

If you're a stones throw from Osage Beach, I must be across the alley down here the other side of Gainsville.

Definitely, if you can make it up to Osage Beach the end of Jan., not only will you be very welcome, but you'll meet one of the most diverse and yet single minded group of people imaginable. **)

smle

oldgrunt

YUP WELCOME TO THE NEW FOLKS...OLDGRUNT SAYING I'M PLANTING FLYERS AND TELL THE GOOD NEWS OF LONGSHOTS GREAT PLACE....

YOU ALL KEEP GRINDING AWAY ......APPLESEED IS 365 A YEAR NO COLD NASTY WEATHER STOPS A RIFLEMEN ....GET OFF THE COUCH AND GET TO TRAINING FOLKS SEEYA SOON......

OLDGRUNT..OUT
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Quantrill

Hello, new member here.  I'm hoping to get to the MO appleseed in June.

First off, a couple things about me: As someone who is fond of reading about American History and likes to shoot firearms, this seems like the perfect place for me!  The only formal training I've ever had is the Hunter Safety Course, which I took over a decade ago.  I've always enjoyed shooting, but only have a handful of friends to shoot with and it's tough to get everyone together.  Unfortunately my father never hunted or shot firearms so there was never anyone to pass along this great American tradition to me (until now!).

I'm not expecting to make Rifleman at my first appleseed (I foresee multiple shoots in my future) but I will try to come prepared.  I don't currently have an MBR so I will probably use my 10/22.  I ordered Fred's guide and also a shooting jacket.  I'll try not to ask dumb questions, and I will read through old posts before I ask any questions of my own.

So what am I doing in preparation for my first appleseed?  Yesterday I got a few people together and we drove over an hour to get to a range.  It was FREEZING!  What originally was supposed to be 3 people turned into 7.  I am trying to get the word out, but since I haven't been to an appleseed yet I really don't think I can speak authoritatively about it to others.  1 buddy is a "maybe" so I'll keep working on him.

Range time:  I would like to get to the range as often as possible but I don't know of many places near Kansas City to shoot at.  Does anyone have info on places around here to shoot?

MBR:  As of now, my 10/22 will have to suffice as my LTR.  I like the idea of using the Tech Sights, I just hope I won't mess anything up trying to install them myself!  I will probably get the Hogue overmolded stock and of course a sling!  In the meantime I plan on saving up for an M1.  The Service Grade M1s are $595 from CMP so I plan on doing that (unless any fellow Missourians have an M1 they'd like to get rid of).

Also, there was a post talking of a possible appleseed near Kansas City.  Is there any news of when this will be?  I have no problems driving to mid-Missouri for an appleseed but of course if there was one nearby I would have to check it out!

If there's anything I can do to help get the word out, just let me know...

smle

Hey Quantrill and welcome.

You don't have to wait until June to get to a shoot. April 18-19 Osage Beach or Wichita.

You don't need to do anything to your 10/22 except the sling. The rest can come later. Just do your dry fire practice a few times a week to get into shape and you'll do just fine.

We're having a DAR work party at Osage Beach end of this month and I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to join in the fun.

smle

Greg in MO

You don't have to wait until April either.  We will be having a shoot in March near Kohoka, MO.  Chris will be posting dates shortly.

For you new folks who want to help.  What we really need at this point are places to shoot.  If you have a range local to you, or know someone with land that may be willing to let us set up a range, let Chris or myself know!

Greg