News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

In Memorial

Started by PHenry, June 28, 2012, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

A sad day for Liberty

Glen Maxie, a self described "Rough and Tumble Red Neck" was called to meet the Founders yesterday. He was mowing the grass on his range and apparently got too close to the lake. Glen lived large and survived many trials, it's hard to believe he went that way - a lesson for all of us. Carpe Diem.

Glen, or "Maxie" as he was known to his friends, and he had more than most, was one of the first people to build a range for Appleseed events. Like so many, he read about the program in SGN - back in the "bad old days" and he liked what Fred said, so he got in touch with Fred, built a range, invited 30 folks to come out and we had an event. It was my first as an IIT. TreadCarefully was the SB, with FunFaler and another fellow. I was wide-eyed and very, very green.

Maxie was in the gourmet meat business and he "made us" eat food fit for kings. We all swore we'd lie in the AAR to make sure that nobody else would want to work events there. He was as generous as he was self-reliant. He was a gracious host and a hard working innovative businessman. He was not at all unlike the men who wrested this nation from the king's tyranny so long ago.

Maxie was my friend and I'm sorry I didn't spend more time with him when I had the chance. He will be sorely missed. Go with God sir.
In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

colycat

I am glad for you that you got to meet him.  I hope he left behind more of the same.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Edheler

I can think of no better epitaph than that he inspired others to discover their Liberty.

I am sorry for your and all of Florida's loss.

ThaiFighter

Oh man...   

That's a tragedy for the world.  I only had the one opportunity to get to know a bit about him and will always be grateful for his generosity.  That was a fantastic weekend.   

RIP Rough and Tumble Redneck.  I hope they have machine gun shoots aplenty in your corner of heaven.   :-[
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

BeSwift

I am sorry for your  loss. From what is being said of this man, it sounds as if he  understood and achieved  to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. It's obvious that he made a difference to Appleseed, its students, instructors and the mission... RIP
BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Taylor

It seems to me that we lost a High Son Of Liberty very near the same time that Liberty took a punch to the gut.

We who still inhabit this Nation owe it to Glen Maxie and all those other Patriots who preceded him to keep the flame of Liberty lit so that all among us could not help but see that flame.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

panhead

howdy

sorry to hear that T.

I was unable to attend the last (and final  :-[) event at his place due to financial hardships. TF volunteered to help me out, but I took the easy way out and didn't go. Now I can never go.

Learn from my mistakes my friends, I make enough for all of us.

Vaya con Dios Maxie
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

Kaylee

He sounds like a wonderful man, doing so much so early. No sunshine patriot. :)

QuoteI can think of no better epitaph than that he inspired others to discover their Liberty.

Amen.

PHenry

I went to my local range yesterday to look at some work they need and was informed that one of the club's hardest working volunteers had succumbed to cancer. He was another great defender of Liberty. Three blows to Liberty within 24 hours.

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children.

Glen Maxie would have wanted it that way. So would Patrick Henry or Thomas Jefferson. It is the essence of Appleseeds - to pass it forward, with clear instructions that the next generation do precisely the same. We are never more than a single generation away from tyranny - perhaps less.

When one  tiny light of Liberty goes out, it must be replaced by at least another. To all Appleseeders - go forth and spread the ideals that Glen Maxie held dear.
In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Charles McKinley

Very well written PH,

I coppied and printed off your last post and am going to have it out on the table tomorrow at the AS booth at the Celebrate America event.

I will have at least 3 of the "next" generation at the August seed at Slippery Rock.

I'm sorry for your loss,

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

alkeford

I'm sorry i dint get to know him God bless and keep us all.
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Bigcountry

Although I could never fill his shoes I am grateful that AS will give me a chance to walk in his footsteps

PHenry

As an update - Appleseeds was represented at Maxie's Memorial service last Sunday. I drove down to show support for a man who had showed the program, and me personally, great hospitality and patriotism. Many stories were shared and tears shed. It was well done, but sad, as I suppose a proper memorial service should be.

I had near forgotten how beautiful his spread is. I know he was sorry to go. He had found the love of his life near the end, making his passing all the more tragic. I know he was a man of faith and I trust the Lord will have a nice spot waiting for him.