News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Google CENSORING guns from shopping!!!

Started by dkmatthews, June 28, 2012, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmatthews

Be aware... If you've become a fan of "Google Shopping" and you also search from time to time for guns or gun related products, you will see that Google is now CENSORING guns and gun related products from their shopping search engine.

I urge you to switch to another search engine and stop using one that CENSORS the search results.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/google-censor-firearms-related-shopping-results/

Ratchett

Saw this article too. So far I have been able to continue to use Google S to search for Ammo, gun parts, and specific firearms etc. Either it is a fluke mailing or it has not taken effect. Guess it is a wait and see for now...
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Foppish Dandy

I just tried a search and couldn't get anything gun-related to come up.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Ratchett

Yup, tried Google shopping no results but still can just do a regular google search with positive results. Wonder how long it will be before that is blocked too?  :(
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

Foppish Dandy

I find it interesting that you'll receive a list of search results if you search for "airsoft rifle", but not if you just search for "rifle". Also interesting that you can get some listings by searching for M1 Garand... though they're all non-firing.

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Ratchett

Ratchett

Two Wolves

I don't know what you are referring to when you say "Google shopping"

I just ran a half dozen google searches for guns, rifles ammo and have thousands of results.
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Foppish Dandy

They're not censoring their standard search listings... there would be entirely too much public outcry over that. The censoring is limited to the Shopping section alone.

sgtrock

Quote from: Ratchett on June 28, 2012, 10:42:35 PM

Regular Google searches seem to still work, but Google Shopping is blocking all such at this point.

Quote from: sgtrock on June 28, 2012, 10:38:03 PM
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=10&gs_id=12&xhr=t&q=model+1894&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=model+1894&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=48ce95a733504573&biw=1280&bih=606

I just did this 20 seconds ago,,, it worked

Thanks Ratchett

I misunderstood the search option,,, not familiar with that particular one of the original poster, I just usually go to specific items when doing a search.

Be Well, Hope to see you on the trail sometime,,,

sgtrock

JoeZ

"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

slim

ICEBERG, Dead Ahead!

Folks, this is serious stuff and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it but it's not Appleseed so lets move on. Read about it here, then post on some other forums! - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/google-censor-firearms-related-shopping-results/

Back to work!

George63

I think no matter what I would search google would point it to something gun related

Mutti

I tend to stick with www.http://duckduckgo.com/  because I'm weird.  Not sure how that would work for ya'll.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

henschman

Bing shopping is a good alternative that is not anti-gun. 

I think I will start using them for general searches as well.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

oladcock

It's a private company, they have the right to do as they wish as we do to go somewhere else. As long as their normal search works, I could care less what they do in an area I don't use anyway......O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx