News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Old Stock to Build a Massachusetts-Safe Rifle

Started by Foppish Dandy, June 27, 2012, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foppish Dandy

Any chance that someone has an old beat-up stock lying around that they don't plan to use or would be willing to donate to yours-truly?

... or any recommendations on where to pick up one that I don't have to spend $30 on? I'd like to build a Massachusetts-Safe Rifle, but I'd rather it didn't turn into an expensive project.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

TN_Dadx5

"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Kaylee

I believe Numrich still has some M14 "drill" stocks for a pittance.
Ain't pretty, but they'd do the job.

Ah -

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1050690

Also... that whole "Mass Legal" joke is a whole lot less funny once you step foot in the "Cradle of Liberty."  :wb:

Foppish Dandy

Perfect! That'll work just fine... except now I have to wait for normal business hours to get the "$5 off shipping" coupon code. Guess I'll be ordering tomorrow morning.

Apologies if I offended anyone with the Mas-Safe comment... That wasn't my intent.

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Kaylee

Cool!

If they've any left next time I'm paid, I'm thinking I might get a couple as well. Sort of an "in the spirit of Fred" thing. :p

Do you mount lasers in yours? The first AS I went to in AK had the "Mass Legal Rifle" with a boresighter taped in place, and the instructors used it to outstanding effect, especially for demoing the "talking targets"

(and no offense taken at all. :) )

Foppish Dandy

Pretty much all of the ones I've seen have either a laser pointer or boresighter attached in there. I prefer the laser-pointer.... cheaper. :D A lot of our guys out here a pretty handy when it comes to fabrication so we've got a few that are quite ingeniously put together.

Works GREAT for demonstrating NPOA and Rifleman's cadence. One of my favorite things is to have my "model" find their NPOA and then with sights carded say "bang" every time they'd take a shot... Shows the shooters that even when you can't see your target, using your NPOA and firing in cadence during respiratory pause at the bottom of your breath will place a the hole right where you want it every time.

Xeyed

Don't worry if they are a little beat up. This one started out that way.

A few rattle cans of Krylon and you can made a trainer even a California Politician would approve.

See attached picture of "The California Legal Rifle" from Las Vegas.

All the nasty parts like bullet buttons removed.

Painted California Camo in OSHA safety colors.

A flashlight with a Laser from Home Depot Velcroed into the stock.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware-safety-security-flashlights/brinkmann-2-pack-led-flashlights-with-laser-142336.html

Add a GI sling and you are good to go.

Well traveled rifle has taught positions and NPOA across the west. Was last seen in Glen Helen last weekend.

X

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Foppish Dandy

Had another idea before I order the one from Numrich... Just remembered that my buddy's little sister and her friends were all in color guard when they were in high school. They've all got their practice rifles lying around their parents' houses. Might actually be able to grab a few of 'em for nothing.

Trying to remember how big they were...

Quote from: Xeyed on June 28, 2012, 03:27:46 AM

A few rattle cans of Krylon and you can made a trainer even a California Politician would approve.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware-safety-security-flashlights/brinkmann-2-pack-led-flashlights-with-laser-142336.html

Well traveled rifle has taught positions and NPOA across the west. Was last seen in Glen Helen last weekend.

X

Whatever you do, just don't paint it black... We all know how  >:D EVIL  >:D black guns are here in Cali! Booga-booga-booga!

TN_Dadx5

I made up one from an old beater :DH: from Fred.  We made it to look like a TN state flag.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

RunnFree

Charlie I do like it, after seen it last time in Manchester I have been working one myself.

Camljr

HEY, i GOT A FEW GARAND STOCKS YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM.

Might have to get a front sling ferrule and buttplate for it though.

Let me know...

Quote from: Foppish Dandy on June 28, 2012, 10:35:26 AM
Had another idea before I order the one from Numrich... Just remembered that my buddy's little sister and her friends were all in color guard when they were in high school. They've all got their practice rifles lying around their parents' houses. Might actually be able to grab a few of 'em for nothing.

Trying to remember how big they were...

Quote from: Xeyed on June 28, 2012, 03:27:46 AM

X

Whatever you do, just don't paint it black... We all know how  >:D EVIL  >:D black guns are here in Cali! Booga-booga-booga!
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt