News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Company, check in!

Started by didactic, June 21, 2008, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalbot

Cedar Park

Shot September at Scout's in Davilla.  Learned a lot, and will be back next month.

Marc

Davilla 1108

Grunt Medic

Representing San Antonio here.  Full time Guard, just started - with the job title of 'Small Arms Marksmanship Expert' - but I know the difference between Army 'Expert' and the real deal, so I've got some learning to do!

DEFINITELY making the OCT shoot, and will move heaven and earth to attend November's Boot Camp.

See y'all soon!

TheUpsetter

Hey there metalbot, glad to hear you learned plenty and hope you'll also come to the shoot in November, as I won't be around in October. 

Grunt Medic, welcome to the fold.  We've been in need of some San Antonio representation from what I can tell.  See you at boot camp in November.

_Dylan
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

Lonestar

Galveston County

New here never been to an event, yet..........

Watchman

Another newb here. I'm in Garland, Texas.
I just recently discovered Appleseed and am thinking about attending one of the events later this year.
I'll be shooting an AR/M4 so I might not be able to hit those longer ranges, but I'd rather be good with what I got rather than great with something I don't got.

So far I've soaked up a lot of the good advise on this sight and others that have improved my accuracy and groupings. Still not where I wanna be yet.

Scout

Quote from: Watchman on September 30, 2008, 11:56:59 AM
I just recently discovered Appleseed and am thinking about attending one of the events later this year.
I'll be shooting an AR/M4 so I might not be able to hit those longer ranges, but I'd rather be good with what I got rather than great with something I don't got.

I have seen the guys with M4s here in Davilla hitting ten rounds in the torso at 400 meters no problem. I am not going to get into stopping power or anything like that. The goals is to teach you how to shoot, which you can take and apply to any rifle you pick up and use. If you learn on your M4, I can hand you my Garand and tell you the IMC for it and you can put those same principles to work smacking rounds into the target at 400 yards/meters with it.

So far I've soaked up a lot of the good advise on this sight and others that have improved my accuracy and groupings. Still not where I wanna be yet.

"Not where I want to be yet", Watchman, get used to saying that ;).  That should be the phrase that follows you into the grave. If you ever think you have learned all there is or that you have nothing left to learn or teach, think about how sad that would be?

A Rifleman never stops learning, a Rifleman never stops teaching. A rifleman continues to seek ways to improve himself, his home and family, his community, his state and his country, everyday of his life. A Rifleman adapts, a Rifleman overcomes and a Rifleman persists.

This is not just some fancy gilded rhetoric we throw around like nickles and pennies. This is the code we live by here. There is nothing wrong, no matter how often the mass of talking heads tells you it is wrong, or outdated, or corny, stupid and cavemanish, with having a code to live by in your life. Modern Americans have forgotten their code. They have forgotten how to be Americans. We are here to help them remember. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

TheUpsetter

Huzzah!  Scout sure has a way with words. 

Welcome to all the new Texas guys.  Any gals out there anywhere? 

I look forward to meeting y'all at a shoot soon.

_TheUpsetter
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

Wade

Quote from: Scout on September 30, 2008, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: Watchman on September 30, 2008, 11:56:59 AM

I have seen the guys with M4s here in Davilla hitting ten rounds in the torso at 400 meters no problem. I am not going to get into stopping power or anything like that. The goals is to teach you how to shoot, which you can take and apply to any rifle you pick up and use. If you learn on your M4, I can hand you my Garand and tell you the IMC for it and you can put those same principles to work smacking rounds into the target at 400 yards/meters with it.

"Not where I want to be yet", Watchman, get used to saying that ;).  That should be the phrase that follows you into the grave. If you ever think you have learned all there is or that you have nothing left to learn or teach, think about how sad that would be?

A Rifleman never stops learning, a Rifleman never stops teaching. A rifleman continues to seek ways to improve himself, his home and family, his community, his state and his country, everyday of his life. A Rifleman adapts, a Rifleman overcomes and a Rifleman persists.

This is not just some fancy gilded rhetoric we throw around like nickles and pennies. This is the code we live by here. There is nothing wrong, no matter how often the mass of talking heads tells you it is wrong, or outdated, or corny, stupid and cavemanish, with having a code to live by in your life. Modern Americans have forgotten their code. They have forgotten how to be Americans. We are here to help them remember. ;)

Well Said and Well done Scout  ;)
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Grunt Medic

Doc from San Antonio, feeling the need to check in again.  Got the 10/22 set up and sighted in - looks like I may even get the girlfriend to come out to Davilla. 12 days and counting!  Out of curiosity, assuming I bring a lady and so decide not to rough it - where's a decent place to stay up there?

wcmartin1

Quote from: Grunt Medic on October 06, 2008, 10:07:18 PM
Doc from San Antonio, feeling the need to check in again.  Got the 10/22 set up and sighted in - looks like I may even get the girlfriend to come out to Davilla. 12 days and counting!  Out of curiosity, assuming I bring a lady and so decide not to rough it - where's a decent place to stay up there?

Have stayed at the Comfort Suites and Best Western in Temple, TX and could recommend them both.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

didactic

There are a couple of independent (or minor chain) motels on SH 95 north in Taylor, just a smidge closer, probably cheaper.  I've driven by them a hundred times but never looked inside.  They look OK, if not fancy, from the highway.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Robert762

Robert here, from San Antonio.

Noob to shooting rifles. I'll be shooting an AK, so I'm bringing a pie tin to measure my groups. Inside the tin and I'm GTG.. ;D
Looking to imporve that of course...

"First" Appleseed Nov 8th at Davilla. Can't wait to go.
"The Revolutionary War was fought over taxation without representation. The second Revolutionary War will be fought over representation without taxation. "
                                                     -DPeacher, ARFCOM

metalbot

Quote from: Robert762 on October 07, 2008, 09:44:36 PM

Noob to shooting rifles. I'll be shooting an AK, so I'm bringing a pie tin to measure my groups. Inside the tin and I'm GTG.. ;D

I suspect your AK will surprise you once your body starts cooperating with it. 

Looking forward to meeting you in November.
Davilla 1108

Scout

No problem with an AK, and when you shoot Rifleman with it, we can hand you any other rifle made and you will be able to repeat it with that one. When you master your AK, it is all an easy down hill ride from there :D

I will be in El Paso that weekend opening a new location for Texas, so I am sorry I will miss you, but I will be leaving you in good hands. Alonso1 will be Sbing you and Didactic will be there also, along with some of the best of the Texas crew will be there, and Marc also, he came last month and and he will be back with the new crew he is bringing.

It should be a good bunch there and you will be surprised at how much you will enjoy it. You will meet new friends at this event, that will be with you for the rest of your life. Get ready to start leading the "Rifleman's Life", this new life will fill a hole in you that you didn't even know existed. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Big-D

Quote from: Robert762 on October 07, 2008, 09:44:36 PM

Ah another AK shooter. Looking forward to seeing you in Nov.
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
Colonel David M. Shoup - (Tarawa) - 21st November 1943

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe - 13th January 1943 - (Guadalcanal)

Robert762

I mounted a sling to the AK and was surprised at how steady I could hold it. I'm going to try it out at the range this weekend. Getting a good cheek weld is tough. I have long arms and feel like I have to bend my neck waay over to line up the sights.

I wish 7.7mm ammo for my Arisaka wasn't so #$%# expensive. I love the stock and action on it.

I'm also checking out PR's ride to bone up on some history. :D
"The Revolutionary War was fought over taxation without representation. The second Revolutionary War will be fought over representation without taxation. "
                                                     -DPeacher, ARFCOM

gooch

Gooch here  ....  just checking in.

South of Davilla [11-08 !] 185 miles as the crow flies.  [200 +/- on the Odo-meter]
Bee County. 

Glad to hear that you are healing up didactic.
"All it takes for tyranny to prosper is for good men to do nothing."  Gooches Version

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
SUN-TZU

CaptG

Another newbie here, (or FNG as we call em at work). Davilla 12/6 will be my first.
Coming up from Austin County bring ing a reinforcement from Harris County.
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

thisismyboomstick

Checking in from South Austin. Moved out from Kalifornia in August.

I was trying to make it to an AS out there but couldn't swing it. Now that I'm in TX and settled I'm ready to hit my first event. My registration form for the Dec 6,7 AS went out in today's mail.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

metalbot

Welcome!  There are a lot of us in Austin.

At some point, we'll all need to make a range day of shooting squares and AQT's at one of the position shooting friendly ranges.

See you in December. 
Davilla 1108

BDG

Reporting in from Little Mexico Hidalgo County.

WIll be in Davilla this weekend. Should see some familiar faces as well as a few new ones.
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

Eleanor of AQT

Maura here!

Checking in from Katy, Harris County.

See y'all on Saturday.
Davilla 1108

metalbot

It's going to be a veritable 11-08 reunion!
Davilla 1108

Junior Birdman

DAVILLA!!!! (bending ear, waiting for response)
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

TheUpsetter

gooch

ELEVEN-OH-EIGHT ! !

It sure sounds like fun.  Sorry I'm going to have to miss it.
Rent, groceries, utilities, you know the drill.
This Poverty stuff is not for wimps .... especially when I don't believe in sucking at the public teat like so many of our elected "officials" seem to do.
Ah Well ....

Maybe next time.

Stay Safe,

gooch
"All it takes for tyranny to prosper is for good men to do nothing."  Gooches Version

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
SUN-TZU

CaptG

Any idea what the expected turnout will be? I'll be there with another newbie.  O0
Checklists are checked & will arrive Fri PM.
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

voortrekker

Quote from: CaptG on December 04, 2008, 09:05:32 PM
Any idea what the expected turnout will be? I'll be there with another newbie.  O0
Checklists are checked & will arrive Fri PM.

I don't know what the exact turnout will be, but I do know that there will be at least 11 RWVA instructors attending per the forum schedule, some of whom are very seasoned.

This shoot is not one to miss.

I expect I will be there Friday PM as well.

Weather forecast says lows= high 30's......  highs= high 60's......AND sunny with little wind........= optimal weather for Riflery.  :)

See y'all in Davilla!

brett out.

Addendum.........there are 36 pre-registered attendees for this event, considering this, there will likely be about 40 attendees total.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

ABWELCH

Hey ya'll,

Aaron here from Atascocita TX. ( just north east of Houston) I am looking forward to meeting all yall and getting a chance to attend an Appleseed event. I have also got my brother pretty worked up about this place and am working on other family members.

Aaron