News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Company, check in!

Started by didactic, June 21, 2008, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7.62er

(Lubbock)
Okay, I'm back and I have been talking this up with co-workers and friends and we are ready to get the ball rolling.  Having a respectable population (250K), we are hoping to get men trained to be red hats so we will be able to put on regular events.  I had a guy (ex-special forces) ask today what it would take to become an instructor.  So, what would be the best course to take?  I'm thinking for the first event or two, having potential red hats attend and get them on the road to becoming certified?
I spoke with the owner of a local talk radio station today (National Guard vet, deployed in Iraq a few years ago) and he enthusiastically agreed to an interview a week prior to our next gun show set for April 24-25.   I need someone from RWVA to call in for the interview.  I'm just not knowledgeable enough to do it alone.  Plus, I'm not sure if y'all want such a hillbilly-sounding hayseed doing this alone.  I plan on having a table for Appleseed and would appreciate any help on material for display (signs, banner, literature, etc.), tips and advice.  (I have already have offers for the gun show help)
I have a couple of offers for at least short range for starters and am fairly confident that in time and exposure, we will be able to secure a longer range. 
What kind of time frame is expected for securing a date for instructors to plan on coming out?
Thanks,
David.
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

CaptG

7.62er,
If you haven't already, PM Scout or contact him through his info earlier in this thread. He's the State Coordinator & can help with all the above. He als0 runs the Appleseed Radio, & would probably be the best bet for the interview.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

sleepy Joe

how many times do we check in here?
By the numbers

7.62er

Thanks Guy(s).  PM'd Scout and starting to put things together now.  Thanks for all the help.
David.
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

rgoody

Ryan from Austin checking in

Jerry Hall

Jerry Hall here, requesting that El Paso area RVWA brother and sister members and Appleseeders begin having regularly scheduled get to-gethers for the express purpose of fun and fillin the AQT full of holes. Feel free to PM with ideas and arrangements. Thanks, Jerry!
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Grunt Medic

Trent from San Antonio, Davilla 02-09 RBC vet, checking in from Baghdad.  See y'all when we redeploy in about 6 months!

Texas Minuteman

Texas Minuteman
East Texas / Nacogdoches County
[140 mi N of Houston]

Last: Davilla, 11/09    Performance: 209 !!     3 judges tried to get me to 210 - no dice.  Ugh.

My son shot 222, high score of that shoot - got Rifleman patch - dad is righteously jealous   Rifle Colt AR-.22  model MP4 w/   4x scope    :---

Next: College Station, April 17-18, 2010

I'd love to meet with others in my East Texas area
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Be brave & upright, that God may love thee.
Safeguard the helpless.
Always speak the Truth, even if it leads to your death...

- The Knights Creed

ladyfish

ladyfish here.....

davilla   october 09

no patch..... too much work, not enough shooting!

opossumtx

I'm here in North Brazoria County.  I ain't worth much but count me present!

Have FUN!
O'

scuzzy

Howdy y'all. Y'all get over onto Scouts radio show if you already aren't:

www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio

David Hackett Fischer, is the guest tonight!!

Yeehah!!
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

dragit

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

reliable

Hey fellas.  I would check in, but can't remember my name.  Take care everyone and see you at the next Davilla (this weekend).  Larry/Reliable/John

POP

Opposum, I used to live in South Brazoria County and, I gots one thang to say about your Post:  Them thar folks in Brazoria County are among Texas' finest.  You just saddle up and git yourself on down to Corpus Christi this weekend and shoot with us.  I know it ain't that fer so you got no excuse.  You are welcome to camp out at my place.  We only have six instructors and one newby so far.  So, bring yersef on down.  You are an important part of the program and we need you active.  You hear  &)
POP

Quote from: opossumtx on March 16, 2010, 09:12:10 PM
I'm here in North Brazoria County.  I ain't worth much but count me present!

Have FUN!
O'
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

POP

Quote from: tnewty on March 16, 2010, 09:37:38 PM
tnewty here

OPOSSUM:  See here, tnewty is coming to Corpus this weekend.  Come on down and meet him.  Aromatic from Houston, voortrekker from Central Texas, didactic from Bastrop, eyeQ from Sandia, Gooch from Beeville, Dennis from Brownsville, ... you don't want to miss that.  Besides didactic is cooking.  What a deal, huh.

Hey Top, how 'bout you, too.  I'm hanging hammocs out in the chicken pen to accommodate everyone.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Aromatic

QuoteI'm hanging hammocs out in the chicken pen to accommodate everyone.

Sounds good, I will bring mine.  I havent slept in it since 11/09 RBC

zonkertx

Another newbie arrival here.  I attended the Corpus shoot this weekend, my first Appleseed.  After 678839677 reminders about the same bad habits, I finally got Rifleman (222) on the very last AQT of the weekend. :)  The instructors were top-notch, and were all really great guys.

I learned a lot, especially about shooting in the cold, while soaking wet and muddy!  Gotta love Texas weather!

POP

Thanks Zonkertx.

Folks, Zonk drove all the way to Corpus From San An Tonio with ormandj.  Both earned their Rifleman Patches.   O0  :--- :--- :--- ^:)^

Ya know, maybe its the "scenic" Gulf of Mexico beaches, maybe it is the great instructors, or perhaps it is the quality of student we attract down here,  but, in the last two Appleseeds here in the Texas Coastal Bend we have awarded three Riflemen patches.  That's 20% of our students earn their Rifleman Patch. 

Has any other range kept statistics in this manner?  I don't think so.  But, regardless, I don't believe any other range has this high a percentage of Patch earners.  Hmmm, must be due to superior instruction and Texas' best beaches.   **)

Congrats zonkertx.  O0   We'll see you on the trail soon with that orange hat.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

mgriffin

Another newbie checking in here, did the Corpus Appleseed this last weekend. Didn't qualify my first time out but I will my second  :cool2:

Oh and here is a timely link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_me_Liberty,_or_give_me_Death!

"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" is a famous quotation attributed to Patrick Henry from a speech he made to the Virginia Convention. It was given on March 23, 1775

Mike

agarty105

Howdy all, newb here from Conroe....will be attending the College Station shoot April 17-18....very much looking forward to it! 

Gig 'em and God bless,
Brandon
-Only 2 people ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier

ormandj

Hi! I hope to see everyone at the Fredericksburg shoot. :) Just watch out for that zonkertx guy, he's deadly with the puns - he cannot help himself. ;)

POP

agarty105 ... Gig'em.  You will enjoy the CS shoot.  Steve Struve's range is a real treat for all of ya'll planning to be there. 

And, ormandj, zonkertx will have to compete with POP. 
You and Z study for the next several weeks.
FBG will have Scout SB, labrat and POP as Instructors, and tnewty, ormandj and zonkertx as IITs.  I'll PM you first of the week about your new IIT duties.  Thank you and ztx for stepping up.  Your country is the better for it, and, this event is as well.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

A_Texian

A_Texian here.  Ed from the recent Fredericksburg shoot. Y'all made an "easy sell" with me, that's for sure.  I'm hooked!

Ordered another 10 bricks of my favorite .22LR ammo and got a Ciener conversion kit for my AR, so I can practice with it as well as my 10/22.

Oh, also joined up with RWVA, ordered 100 of y'alls AQT targets and plenty of the folding business cards to help get others in my area on board for future shoots.  There's a LOT of shooters in this neck 'o the woods (Deer Capitol of the World around here).  Also got a Sunday-go-to-meetin' shooters mat for posterity.

Now I've gotta perform the "sacrilege" of mowing a shooting path through our gorgeous bluebonnets at the range out at our ranch ... the only drawback to all this (man the wildflowers have been awesome this year; after about a five year drought with nothing but BROWN & GREY EVERYWHERE!)

Scout, Newt, Labrat and the rest of y'all - Y'ALL ARE THE BEST, BAR NONE!!  I want to personally thank y'all not only for this past weekend, but for ALL that you guys do for this noble venture!!

I'm looking forward to getting there as much as time/resources will allow in our future events here, as well as up yonder in "Camp Scout" (aka; Davilla) when time allows.

God Bless One & All,

A_Texian

PS:  After about 20 years of reenacting in the c.1836 Texas Revolution genre, I reckon I'm gonna have to start poking around for a tricorn hat eh? lol  Oh well, I already have a 2nd Model Brown Bess (Santa Anna's troops were armed with them from surplus they bought from England ... sometimes I portray an 1836 Soldado Mexicano).  Also have all the requisite rifled-flinters and other gear, so heck, that's about 90% of the cost of getting fixed up circa 1775 right there!!  Come to think of it, if I opt for a powdered wig, that'll be the first time I've had hair in 30-odd years!!!  :))

LabRat

QuoteNow I've gotta perform the "sacrilege" of mowing a shooting path through our gorgeous bluebonnets at the range out at our ranch ... the only drawback to all this (man the wildflowers have been awesome this year; after about a five year drought with nothing but BROWN & GREY EVERYWHERE!)

Don't do that! Just practice the sitting and standing until the end of May...good practice for field shooting where everything ain't always mowed. Problem solved.

Thanks for coming out, by the way. It was great to meet all the folks there and know that the citizens in the area are fired up.

QuoteI'm looking forward to getting there as much as time/resources will allow in our future events here

You do realize you just volunteered to help Ron beat the bushes there to flush people out to an Appleseed, don't you?

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

A_Texian

QuoteYou do realize you just volunteered to help Ron beat the bushes there to flush people out to an Appleseed, don't you?

Like I said, I already ordered two packets of those excellent folding bidness cards (the ones with the 1" black square on 'em) to pass around.  I'll hook 'em like a fish!  8)

I'm (very) politically active here: Started all the Ron Paul stuff here in the Hill Country, member of the "Patriots" group (in fact we Ron Paulers were the ones who woke them up), somewhat involved with the Tea Partiers (although they're "tenderfeet" and have quite a ways to go to achieve true awareness and realize what works and what doesn't politically), a two-time delegate to the RPT State Convention, Precinct Chair (#302) in Blanco County, etc., etc....  With that comes a LOT of connections with folks who will be highly likely to jump at the prospect of attending an Appleseed event (although they're like Tater Chips ... nobody can attend just one!!).  It's doubtful I'll make each and every one (especially if they're monthly), but I can probably muster something on the order of "every few months."

Looking forward to seeing you fellers again soon.

Ed

bander1643

Bander 1643 here in NE Fort Worth. Been here a year. Moved down from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the good part exculding Filthadelphia & Pittsburgh, commonly know as PennsylTucky, or the other Alabama.

I'm a Threeper, and spend a lot of time at Sipsey Street Irregulars. Just got volunteered as the Deputy Point of Contact for North Texas Alarm Riders and Preparedness.

DCortez

Was reminded about AS by Bander1643 yesterday at our Dallas TGO meet.

Name is Ray, I live in Houston, and go by DCortez on the internet.  I started a site called Texas Gun Owner.com. We promote social shooting in a family oriented and friendly setting.  I see a September event in Texas that I think our members would be interested in.

CaptG

Welcome DCortez & Bander. Why wait till Sept? The shoots in Davilla aren't that far from Houston. I plan on making the one in June. Hopefully there will also be another at College Station (Navasota) fairly soon. Hope to see you at one.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill