News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yard signs ?

Started by Publican, June 24, 2012, 07:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

Is it possible that we have yard signs that might have either RWVA, APPLESEED, and/or web addy's on them? These signs would resemble the political signs we see all the time.

WHY?

Well, you would have to understand the Colyer (PA) Independence Day Parade to be able to understand. It is a completely irreverent parade parodying the major political events (often) or current events - nationally and/or locally.

Picture if you will, tractors of all sizes, manure spreaders, corvettes, hay buggies.......
Picture if you can, grown men cross dressed as the ugliest women on the planet....
Picture if you will, the one year - in addition to candy being thrown to the youngsters, we adults were offered jello shots from one of the "floats"

But the best part of the celebration????? These people I call neighbors (and 1 I call a FRIEND) ALWAYS remember the reason for the remembrance :bow:

The following link will give you some small idea of what might be seen at one of our parades: http://family.webshots.com/album/559756569dWsWSG

Now, why do I ask about yard signs? Unfortunately I must work BUT I would like to give the slow moving parade something to look at in our yard. I could put these along the road where they would be seen by (hundreds?) of people - adults and children alike.This is basically a captive audience of (mostly) like minded people.

I can meet someone at the July 7th lewistown event http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2744658347 if these are available......or if something else appropriate might be available.
Thank you in advance!
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Chainsaw

No we don't.  There's a thread here about ordering some as direction signs...

They were a lot pricier than I imagined.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Publican

I am one that has been called:          "He-Who-Has-No-Artistic-Talent."

Guess I will have to "Improvise" anyhow.

Thanks

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Fred

Don't despair, yet, P. I have referred this idea over to our promo crew.

I think of these as "miniature billboards" and believe you may be on to something...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Publican

Thanks. I am running out of time though. The 4th will be here B4 we know it. I have the next 2 days off so I may need to make contingency plans  :-\

And I realize in my OP that I said I could pick something up from the July AS near me. WELL, that was a little wrong. Would be too late #)

TruTenacity

I believe BuildASign has the capability to print these on the coraplast (?) material.  They already have the artwork since we just used them on a trial basis for the two banners used in the Northwest Region HS conventions.  I don't know the cost details nor the money necessary to have some of them printed.  Shadowman is the go-to person between AS and BuildASign.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Publican

Well, since time is dwindling down, I went out yesterday and picked up some 8"X 5" letter stencils. Probably tomorrow I will need to pick up a 4'X 8' sheet of (wood/something) to paint up the sign, as well as some paint.

UNLESS their is another plan this close to the local parade. I do not want to miss getting out our name/addy this year due to the current state of affairs.

Charles McKinley

Check for Staples coupons. I think yard signs are about $20. With a coupon.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Publican

Quote from: Stand on June 27, 2012, 11:21:23 AM
Check for Staples coupons. I think yard signs are about $20. With a coupon.

Thanks for the idea. You are correct, about $20 for 1 sign (27" x 18"). So far I have spent about $20 on 2 packs of stencils.

I will need to spend about another $30 to get the 4'x8' board and paint.

So for about $50 I will have a 4'x8' sign vs 2  (27" x 18") signs.  GRANTED, the professionally done signs would look better but if you saw the pics of the local parade, you will understand that the home made sign might fit in better...at least for this year.   O0 

I can also donate the large sign to the MCSA if/when I move to Iowa.

techres

Ok, sitting in layover trying to be productive:

Idea 1

Will see how many I can do before I run out of time.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

colycat

I hope your plane is delayed :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Publican

My friend:

You do not know me but you are talking to one of the LEAST artistic people on this planet. Were I to try something like that I would scare people away  :(

I am the guy who said he needed to buy stencils to make a lettered sign :-[

Your sign is beautiful. You may want to.....make a stencil for folks like me  LOL

techres

Publican

techres

Too Wordy, but funny:

colycat

Quote from: Publican on June 27, 2012, 06:28:44 PM
My friend:

You do not know me but you are talking to one of the LEAST artistic people on this planet. Were I to try something like that I would scare people away  :(

I am the guy who said he needed to buy stencils to make a lettered sign :-[

Your sign is beautiful. You may want to.....make a stencil for folks like me  LOL

But you are promoting, which puts you at the top of the heap ;)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

techres

It is easier to make pretty pictures than to make calls and knock on doors.
Every BOTG that promotes is worth 1000 internet guys who make pretty things.

You are definitely top tier and these are intended to help you, not the other way around.

O0

colycat

That said, (VERY WELL)  go, go ,go with more.  I really don't want your plane delayed, sorta.   ;)
Quote from: techres on June 27, 2012, 06:58:17 PM
It is easier to make pretty pictures than to make calls and knock on doors.
Every BOTG that promotes is worth 1000 internet guys who make pretty things.

You are definitely top tier and these are intended to help you, not the other way around.

O0

Publican

colycat and techres:

Thanks. Some things are easy when passion is involved. But please tell me what a BOTG is.

Chainsaw

Quote from: Publican on June 27, 2012, 07:06:49 PM
colycat and techres:

Thanks. Some things are easy when passion is involved. But please tell me what a BOTG is.

Boots On The Ground  :)
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

techres

I kept the language clean...

Publican

Quote from: Chainsaw on June 27, 2012, 07:10:12 PM
Quote from: Publican on June 27, 2012, 07:06:49 PM
colycat and techres:

Boots On The Ground  :)

Ahhh, Thx

techres

More minimalist pair:

(could be modified for 2 day, obviously)

Ratchett

Quote from: techres on June 27, 2012, 06:33:15 PM
Idea #2:

Techres---I really like this one, pretty much sums the lot of it all. O0 O0
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

SniperCat

Techres,

Not sure if you Facebook or not, but these make wonderful covers for both individuals and Appleseed pages but the AppleseedInfo.org ends up behind our avatars.  As soon as I saw them, I downloaded them and changed my cover immediately to the green one.  Just one more way to spread the word.   

Thanks,
SniperCat
Wife of RangeRat (SB), mother of TrebleShooter (SB), SharpEyedFireChild (SB), and Persistent_1 (IIT3)

Publican

Well, the painting begins tomorrow on the yard sign. Hopefully after the parade and after they begin posting up their pictures, I can get a view of it from a floats perspective.

Publican

What I would have done differently:
-Brush instead of spray paint
-Website in blue instead of black - W/ the threat of rain I was worried and did not want to wait to get blue tomorrow. Did not think of it ahead of time
-Start long before I did on this project

As I mentioned, I am one of the least "artistic" folks around. But I wanted some AS presence for the parade. I will be at work unfortunately.

George Hacker

Looks good, Publican.  Great job! O0

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Fred

O0

Yep, can't say otherwise. Nice job!!

O0

(You may have a future on the nationwide promo team, as well as the PA promo team...)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Publican

Thanks all.

These last two shots are what it will look like to the floats IF the imminent T-Storms don't trash the sign.