News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bumper Stickers

Started by EZ3, June 23, 2012, 08:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

Does anyone have one of the "funny British accent" bumper stickers that they are willing to give up?  One of our students from the last BF shoot has a daughter going to Oxford (yeah, the one in England) and he's trying to locate that bumper sticker.  They are out of stock in the Appleseed store.

Also, any SBs with a spare red hat, please PM me.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Foppish Dandy

Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Castle Mountain

Why do most Americans mock a British accent when we created the language in the first place?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts.
- William Hazlitt

A slander is like a hornet; if you can't kill it dead the first time, better not strike at it.
- H.W. Shaw

I am a poor man, but I would gladly give ten shillings to find out who sent me the insulting Christmas card I received this morning.
- George Grossmith

Insults should be written in sand, compliments should be carved in stone.
- Arab Proverb

Why do most Americans mock a British accent when we created the language in the first place? Hence why the language is called English, surely we were first to speak it, so why do they laugh?

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110806101737AApAUAY

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070430180442AAUqGKw

Quote from: EZ3 on June 23, 2012, 08:07:58 PM
Does anyone have one of the "funny British accent" bumper stickers that they are willing to give up?  One of our students from the last BF shoot has a daughter going to Oxford (yeah, the one in England) and he's trying to locate that bumper sticker.  They are out of stock in the Appleseed store.

Also, any SBs with a spare red hat, please PM me.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Fred

I think the "silly British accent" is kinda tongue-in-cheek humor, something which "helps make the point" of the bumpersticker.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Ratchett

Probably the same reason we say that we don't speak German and raise a hand in the air????

Might have something to do with Liberty and Freedom, but then that is just a thought...
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

asminuteman

Quote from:  link=topic=30271.msg226936#msg226936 date=1340560893

Why do most Americans mock a British accent when we created the language in the first place?

I quite sure I'm going to regret this.........        *disclaimer* Humor folks

Americans invented the Kings English?
Americans invented all forms of the British accent?
(I can understand why you could access blame for "cockney"on us)....1 word RUM

All before we became Americans? ET AL.......

And do you think our regional native alterations were an improvement!
Brooklyn, Massachusetts, Ebonics? ET AL

I know I know, I should talk, Southern California an all.....Dudeeeee.....Sweet....Totaly

{4. the Germanic language of the British Isles, widespread and standard also in the U.S. and most of the British Commonwealth, historically termed Old English (c450-c1150), Middle English (c1150-c1475), and Modern English (after c1475). Abbreviation:  E }

I apologise if I have offended anyone
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine