News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dallas/Ft Worth, TX - June 16-17,2012

Started by spitstickler, June 20, 2012, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

We had a great event at the Proactive Defense Tactical Range on the NW side of the metroplex this past weekend. There were a few familiar faces on the line, as well as several folks who were attending their first event. We started the morning with David Stitzlein a.k.a. Stitz donning a bright new Orange Hat. This was a little extra special for me personally because I've known David a long time and I am certain he will be a great addition to the the instructor corps.

We then did our other introductions and followed with the safety brief, safe rifle, and line commands. Soon we were into the first target of the day. Redcoat results were typical for a Saturday morning, but as we went through the instruction blocks the groups, got tighter, and tighter, and tighter.

We found a spot of shade for lunch and told the 1st Strike. Good participation by the shooters and questions along the way. Captain Parker even made an impression. More on that later.

With a little time off our feet and food in our stomachs were were back to the line in short order and started working on the other positions, mag changes, and shortening up the time. We took a break and Lauren gave the 2nd Strike. The North Bridge, Isaac Davis, and all of those folks who came to aid their neighbors.

We actually got in two AQTs on Saturday which is a testament to the shooters soaking up the instruction. They were getting it. As Lauren told the 3rd strike and stayed on the line and scored some AQTs. Eileen left hers with me saying, "I'm close, I think it's a 209?" I think her math was good, but she hadn't taken into account the .30 cal rule. Needless to say she was surprised a little later with 217. Congratulations, Eileen!

Lois ran a bolt gun with only one 5 round magazine all day on Saturday. Stage 2 and 3 were a little tough, to say the least, but what rounds she got down range inevitably hit their mark. Well aimed shots are her forte, and be on the lookout for a patch coming her way when she shows back up with another magazine. Great shooting, Lois!

We broke for the day and were back at it again Sunday morning. During sign in, Don told me that he sure had a hard time getting out of bed, but the memory of Capt. Parker came to mind and he thought, "If a man with advanced tuberculosis can make it out of bed, I know I can!"

That IS the spirit, Don!!

I think this group of shooters progressed as well as I've ever seen. After a review of the instruction by Tim and David, and some squares to verify zeros, we started shooting AQTs well before lunch. This is the first time I can remember thinking we had a really good chance of everyone on the line Sunday shooting a Rifleman's score. Eileen's 16yr old son, Bobby soon followed his mom and received his patch. He continued to improve his scores over the rest of the afternoon topping out close to 240!  This fellow can shoot!!!  O0  That's not all folks, "Almost Reliable" Andrew from down Davilla way now has some Texas Instructor company his age. Congratulations BobbyM. for taking an Orange Hat!

Justin, a Sunday only repeat Appleseeder realized his goal shortly after lunch as well. Seems like a 216-17 if I remember correctly. Steve and Don were nipping at it, but just didn't get all the puzzle pieces put together at the same time. I know you all will, if you keep after it.

Pics are up on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/appleseedTexas.  We had an unexpected guest show up on Sunday afternoon, and took a minute of his time to take a picture with us. See if you can figure out who he is.

Special thanks to Chris Rainey for being such a gracious host and opening up his range for us. And as always, bug huzzahs, for the Instructor crew who took the time to make this event happen. Thanks, Lauren, Tim, Dave, Floyd, and Andrew!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

floydf

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

NJGirl1961

BobbyM.  was determined to hit that rifleman status from his first Appleseed.  I started out as his ride to the range.  I am the last person I expected to score rifleman!  BobbyM.  showed me up and then some on Sunday when he scored rifleman on 5 AQTs in a row ranging from 213-237.  He is going to be a great instructor (and for a while I will still be his driver).

doubleLL

Fantastic weekend at Quail Creek- Proactive Defense range. David aka Sitz will be a fantastic instructor. The shootboss threw him a few curve balls on Sunday and David did a great job handling the instruction. Tim called the line most of the weekend and kept us all on time and safe. Spitstickler and I are both thankful and blessed to have some top notch instructors in the DFW area!

Shooters- we had a full line considering it was HOT and father's day weekend.  The ladies (Elieen and Lois) stayed focused and did a fantastic job shooting. I was so proud to give Eileen her patch. I knew she worked hard to get there. Spitstickler, Floyd and myself KNEW that Bobby would make it on Sunday. Sure enough our second AQT he sealed the deal! What Bobby didn't know is that I talked to Eileen just before lunch and told her the news. Eileen told me that Bobby wanted to be an instructor and we had her blessing. Needless to say the presentation of Bobby's patch was very special. I look forward to instructing with him.

Congratulations to Justin aka starsfan for making rifleman. I know you have been practicing!

I think we had a few shooters who underestimated how hard our AQT can be. I know they will be back for that patch.

I would like to thank the shooters for coming out and sharing the weekend. Special thanks to Chris at Pro Active for supporting our program and the swamp cooler!!
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Congrats to our new Riflemen!

Very cool having a guest like that pop in.  :cool2:
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.