News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

D-Day Reenactment-Conneaut, OH Aug 17 & 18, 2012

Started by Birdman, June 18, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdman

OK folks, the ball is rolling again. I have a spot booked and I will be there.
I need redcoat and greencoat targets, other handouts, maybe a few AQTs, and some other Instructors able to make the trip.
Friday and Saturday, about 9am to 5pm. Replica P-51s flying around, and also a real 1945 B-25 at tree top level making multiple passes at the beach, and  a M4-A3 Sherman tank. I expect 500-600 re-enactors and 6,000 to 8,000 visitors, maybe more.
A couple Higgens boats dropping their gates on the beach. Germans everywhere...big ones.
Here is a link:
http://www.ddayohio.us/
Discovery Channel Combat Cash had a show a while back featuring Conneaut's D-Day.
As for a place to stay, I have an empty house about a mile from the event where several could throw down a sleeping bag.
Lets get a plan together. Slim had some good ideas for this.  I think I can get some Garands in for show and tell, if they are inspected for no live ammo...anywhere!  Last year, I had my dummy stock and GI sling for demos.
Please chime in.

slim

I was just thinking about this earlier today, Birdman. (Could've been the heat? "August is coming up really quickly!") Glad to see you've made a post.

I'm going to do my best to be there. I want to promote Appleseed but the real reason is this just looks like a really cool event!

Whatever promo materials we need I can bring with me. What we really need is volunteers. Who's with us?

Charles McKinley

I have it on the calender but it will depend on coverage at Beaver Falls for that weekend. 
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Edheler

I will be at Beaver Falls that week Stand, so feel free to go! :)

Quote from: Stand on June 18, 2012, 10:13:47 PM
I have it on the calender but it will depend on coverage at Beaver Falls for that weekend.

Birdman

Wow folks, what a great event! I thought Friday, a sort of add on extra day for the event was going to be slow. It sure wasn't, and Stand, his kids, and I had a pretty steady stream of interest folks stop by. Much more WW2 vehicles and equipment, encampments and other such things than in years past. Total number reenactors will be over 800. I saw dozens of jeeps, a Sherman tank (shooting every hour), two replica P-51s (flying), and lots of other stuff.
I think Stand (Chuck, PA) would agree that this is a very worth while event to promote Appleseed.
I had my Garand on the table, (no bolt, rope through the barrel), which really brought folks to the table. I had a flyer on the front of the table "US Rifle, 30Cal, M1   Garand M1  How Can I get One?  Ask Here".
My last visit to the CMP store resulted in them giving me hundreds of current CMP catalogs and pens for hand-outs, always a good thing.
I hope I was OK in doing as I did. I think it is a good thing to get the folks closer, then explain Appleseed to them.  It seemed to work very well today.
There is still Saturday, when the main battle/beach landing will occur. Drive on up to Conneaut. Main battle is at 3pm, with smaller battles at 11am.
Be patient with the parking, thousands of spectators are expected. School bus shuttles are being used.
Here is a link:
http://www.ddayohio.us/schedule.htm

Charles McKinley

GO!   What a fun day and very interested people.   Pesky. SBIT this weekend or I would go back tomorrow.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Ratchett

Birdman.

Great job!! Sounds like a really fun time and great venue to introduce AS! THANK YOU for spear heading the project.

Stand, thank you for border raiding and helping BM in the booth. Much appreciated.

Again JOB WELL DONE !!!!
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

slim

Great job, guys! Really wish I could've made it up there.

The CMP angle is great for this type of event and of course it's OK. We are a CMP affiliated organization after all. Whatever gets them to the booth!

Keep up the good work.

Birdman

Once they saw that M1, they were drawn in like a laser beam, no kidding. I let them hold it, muzzle up, just to feel the weight of it.  It was great.
And it was all Slim's idea  :bow:

Here is a real B-25 coming right at us:

Here is a close-up of one of the many fly-overs that the B-25 did for us:

A shot of a small portion of the landing: