News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is Promoting Project Appleseed Worthwhile?... Fun?

Started by George Hacker, June 18, 2012, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

I have seen a few instructors in my region bloom when it comes to promotions.  Their attitudes have changed to where they actually look forward to doing promotions, sometimes even missing a shoot to work a gunshow (Ducko - you know who you are).

I'd like to start a new thread for instructors to share how their attitude about promotions has changed and developed over time.  In your experience, is promotions effective?  Is it fun?  Has it made a substantial difference in the number of shooters you see coming to events?

This thread isn't just for the Northwest - it is for everyone in Project Appleseed to share their experience about promotions.  My goal is that it will demystify this scary subject and help others see its value.  One of the best ways to become more effective at promotions is to tag along with an instructor who is already doing it and does it well (we call that being a mentor).

Please chime in with your stories of promotional awesomeness.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Publican

Quote from: ShadowMan on June 18, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
I have seen a few instructors in my region bloom when it comes to promotions.  Their attitudes have changed to where they actually look forward to doing promotions, sometimes even missing a shoot to work a gunshow (Ducko - you know who you are).

I'd like to start a new thread for instructors to share how their attitude about promotions has changed and developed over time.  In your experience, is promotions effective?  Is it fun?   Has it made a substantial difference in the number of shooters you see coming to events?

This thread isn't just for the Northwest - it is for everyone in Project Appleseed to share their experience about promotions.  My goal is that it will demystify this scary subject and help others see its value.  One of the best ways to become more effective at promotions is to tag along with an instructor who is already doing it and does it well (we call that being a mentor).

Please chime in with your stories of promotional awesomeness.

- ShadowMan

My Bold:

Since the advertising of Appleseed isn't something I have experience doing, let me address the areas I have highlighted in BOLD.

Instead of the word Appleseed, insert your favorite drink, eatery, adult beverage, brand of........(whatever)

YES, advertising works. See if any of the following names/products ring a bell.

The Marlboro Man

"Just Do It"

"You deserve a break today"

"Tastes great, less filling"

"Good to the last drop"

"Mmm mm good"

"Have it your way"

Smokey the Bear/
"Only you can prevent forest fires"

The Energizer Bunny

"This Bud's for you"

"Melts in your mouth, not in your hands"

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

"Where's the beef?"

"Breakfast of champions"

My point? Great products....CONSISTANT advertising......Brand awareness!!!

And many more where I got these from.
http://adage.com/article/special-report-the-advertising-century/ad-age-advertising-century-top-100-advertising-campaigns/140150/
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

TDog

Yes! We (LawDog and I) promoted a shoot, and it was a sellout!!!  ^:)^

Barbie

I found myself jumping head first into promo's around late spring.  I had come back from a shoot one weekend and decided I was going to send out an email to the Ripley Co. Parks Director here in SE Indiana to see about getting AS a booth at the Ripley Co. 4-H Fair in Osgood, IN.  Well, a little time went by and I figured that they were going to look us over and send us a big fat "no thanks".  Well, shortly after that I get an email saying they'd like to have us, and now as we speak I'm finishing up organizing a week long promo opportunity for AS at the fair.

I guess I could have picked a smaller way to get into promo, but that's "not my style"... so why not jump in headfirst!
Getting people together to help may not have been as easy as I'd like it to be, but I know it'll all come together within the next couple weeks before fair time.  Hopefully with all the exposure, we can get some more folks out on the line. 

(And for anyone who may find themselves wandering through good ol' IN, feel free to stop on by.... and if ya wanna help with the booth you're more than welcome!!)

~ Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

mj52

I just go about my practice, go about my routine. People watch, look at each other and eventually one asks a question. The others stand off but their "Bat ears" are up.

I get "Is that a special rifle?" "Those targets are small." "Why are you sitting on the ground?" My answers are always short.

I spoke with 3 today. Who knows where it will lead. I do know not 1 of the 3 was looking around for a way out. I let them ask the questions and only answered the question asked. I do try to answer in less than 30 words though. Not in the sense of being curt or testy, just the answer to the question asked.

I "just happpened" to have a target in my trunk and asked if they'd like to see it? "You can hit that?" "Yes."

If I get 1, that makes 2. Who knows the Binary system?

Invictus Maneo

LOW LEVEL
Take Robo rifle to range  - is that a special rifle? I don't shoot AS with it as it has no sling but it always gets questions.
Shooting with sling, lop and cheek adjustments - Again, Is that a special rifle?
Pamphlets in all of my rifle cases and range bag
Shooting prone and kneeling at local range - are you a sniper???
What is that red target???
Why are your targets gray?
Always leave one of the "FREE TARGETS" up when I leave with a pamphlet under a rock on the bench.
Sometimes leave a hand-written Post-it note on the pamphlet asking "Can you hit that target?"
The BIGGIE - Where did you learn to shoot like that??
Like previous post, short answers without rambling or hard sell and of course pamplets.
Haven't got to the point yet of challenging people to hit the redcoat but am thinking about it.
Also have put the Isaac Davis decal in car window and as soon as I get it one of the Appleseed white football shape stickers it will go on my bumper.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
- Mahatma Gandhi

�Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.�
- Ronald Reagan

�Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.�
- Plato

"My Son, Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won."
- William Wallace