News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Benefit Rifle Match at USSA in Tulsa on Sept. 15 - RSO'S NEEDED!!!

Started by henschman, June 15, 2012, 05:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

The United States Shooting Academy in Tulsa, OK is hosting a rifle match benefiting the Folds of Honor Foundation (which is a charity that helps the families of killed or disabled servicemembers).  The match will take place on Saturday, September 15.  One of our Appleseed Alumni and Riflemen, Michael Ray, is coordinating the event.  I have accepted the position of Match Director, and will be running the match according to Appleseed procedures.  I am asking for help from all Appleseed Instructors/IITs.  This match is expected to generate a large shooter turnout, and consequently we need all the extra RSO's we can get.  All those who work the shoot will be able to shoot the match the day before, on Friday, Sept. 14.  Being that we have somewhat limited manpower here in Oklahoma, it would be great if we could get some instructors in from out of state to help out with this match. 

While this will not be an Appleseed event, I will be sporting my Appleseed shirt and hat, and I encourage everyone else who comes to do the same.  It should be a great opportunity for promotions -- if we have enough Instructors to safely RSO and score targets, I would love to also have an Appleseed table that the shooters and all the spectators will be able to visit.  In any case, the attendees will get plenty of exposure to the Appleseed message, and encouragement to attend an Appleseed.

This will be a 300 yard service rifle match, shot on NRA High Power targets.  The course of fire is very similar to the AQT:  iron sights only, nothing but slings for support, with 4 stages:  standing, standing to seated/kneeling transition, standing to prone transition, and prone.  There will be several classes of rifles, such as bolt action service rifles, classic semi auto service rifles, and modern service rifles.  There will be no sighters -- shooters are expected to show up to the range with their rifles zeroed and ready to go. 

I will post more details as they become available, but make plans to attend now!  Remember to come the Friday before if you want to shoot the match as well as work it.  For those who aren't familiar with the range, USSA is in a very convenient location in North Tulsa.  There are many hotels that are close by. 

See you on the firing line!

henschman
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Surveyor1653

Sadly, the event will not take place as scheduled.  Unfortunately it's looking like the even won't happen at all given the response I've received.  I want to thank Hensch and all of the Oklahoma Seed folks for stepping up to help out.  If things change and we can get some traction I will post updates as they happen.  Thanks, again, to all who have expressed their willingness to help make this happen.  I will acknowledge the nearly all of the volunteer interest came from Appleseeders despite appeals elsewhere.  I hope this changes as time goes on.  Maybe we just need the temps to come down, who knows?

Michael
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

henschman

Sorry to hear that Michael.  Maybe we would have more success with a spring or fall date.  Thanks for letting us know though.  Let me know if you want to set up another one. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819