News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Midland, TX - June 9-10, 2012 AAR

Started by wcmartin1, June 09, 2012, 11:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcmartin1

Eleven shooters, six instructors, and two Riflemen - all done in 100 degree plus temps.

Here's a few pics (excuse the poor quality as they were taken with my phone).

More to come tomorrow  - the weatherman says it'll be even hotter.  ^:)^

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

wcmartin1

Nine shooters returned Sunday.

Temps were as advertised 100 plus and hotter than yesterday.

No new Rifleman, but several repeat Rifleman scores.

Groups were getting tighter and had two shooters who hadn't made Rifleman clean the last Redcoat of the day - nicely done!

Thanks to all of the instructors and shooters for a great weekend.

We'll do it again at the Midland Shooters Association Rifle/Pistol Range in November.

Hope to see YOU there.

Git-R-Done!  :---

More pics below.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

scuzzy

Yeah Bill, this was one of the better shoots I've done. Thanks so much to you and John for the good ol Southern Hospitality. Good to see the two of you again.

It was good to see Frank again and also get to meet FBJ aka Fred. Man, Fred sounds more Texan than anybody I know.

This was a great weekend which actually started Thursday for Chuck and I. Long drive so we decided to get out Thursday morning, get setup, and be ready to shoot all day Friday.

Man, the Midland range is the best I've seen in Texas. While I can't claim to have been to every range there is in Texas I've been to more than a few. And this is top notch. On Friday we got so wrapped up in shooting the steel 22 range that we both went through over 1300 rounds. Each.

The shooters were exceptional even though the heat got close to 110 degrees on Sunday. No whining and complaining even in the heat and rifle malfuntions due to sand.

Josh and Zach, John's nephews from Minnesota, were really good kids. Well I should say young men. When you get my age though everyone under 30 is a kid. And congrats to Zach on the Rifleman patch. Josh is right behind him though. Another shoot or two and I'll bet money he will have a patch too.

I was a pleasure to also meet both Diane and Dan. Diane is one tough gal. And man she can shoot. It was nice yakking with her this weekend. Dan, the South African guy, was interesting too. We must have spent close to 4 hours on Friday evening talking about everything under the sun. Congrats Dan on the patch.

The other shooters, Oran, Kelly, Teresa, Ashley, Clay, TJ are good Texans too. I know I've left somebody out but hey I'm not so good with names.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

spitstickler

Looks like a great event and a perfect venue! Great job out in West Texas.

Pics up on Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/AppleseedTexas Easy way to 7th step your friends.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

FBJ

I had the honor of attending the Midland AS as an ITT. It is said, "The teacher learns more than the student." Such was my case. I would like to give a grateful THANK YOU to Chuck and Kirby for efforts they made to help us to be the best. I was delighted with the interest in the Heritage portion of the AS. I was excited as some asked questions. The students were a fine group to work with. We enjoyed getting two new riflemen. The students showed improvement in their skills and an aggressive attitude to persist. Bill had a chance to cover my back while I recovered from a brain freeze. It was another example of the character and attitude of that characterizes AS folks. I will look forward to my next chance to associate with these fine people. THANKS to everyone for making the AS a special event.

phreatdawg

It was an honor to be associated with this event.  Chuck and Kirby did an EXCELLENT job putting it on.  Frank and Fred gave their all as instructors and Bill did his usual excellent work (You don't know how much effort Bill puts into the events, stuff you would never think of).  I'm extremely proud of my nephews, Josh (who shot a perfect redcoat at the end) and Zack (who made rifleman).  While it wasn't the biggest event we've ever had, I must say it was by far one of the best.  Somewhere, I'm sure Captains John Parker and Isaac Davis are smiling.

wcmartin1

Quote from: phreatdawg on June 21, 2012, 01:20:48 AM
Somewhere, I'm sure Captains John Parker and Isaac Davis are smiling.

By God!  :---

scuzzy

Quote from: phreatdawg on June 21, 2012, 01:20:48 AM
I'm sure Captains John Parker and Isaac Davis are smiling.

I'll bet Sam Houston and Col. Travis are too.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.