News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN --- June 14, 15, 2008

Started by dond, June 17, 2008, 10:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

My wife and I were met at the Arnold Air Force Base range near Tullahoma, TN, Friday morning by the local contact, Claude Morse, who helped set up the target line. Two ranges were available for our use. We chose the smaller one since it had a covered firing line. This was a fortunate choice since the weekend was sunny and warm. It also rained for awhile Saturday morning.

Claude and his family attended an Appleseed at our home club in Puryear, TN, and have been anxious to hold one at their club since then.

The shoot was set up in only three weeks, but 25 showed up on Saturday. This was the result of Claude's vigorous promotion of the event. Only 12 arrived on Sunday, but a large part of the loss was because several of the Boy Scouts who were there on Saturday had to leave for camp. Scouts who could normally have been there on Saturday had other Scouting commitments that day.

The local club graciously supplied RSOs to help maintain the firing line and also to help the younger shooters. This was a great help and we thank these volunteers. We managed to get in one QDAQT late Saturday and had one Rifleman, Harmon Campbell, with a score of 212. He had just brought his two sons initially and didn't plan to shoot, himself. When he saw what was going on, he ran home and got his rifle. He was glad he did.

Sunday, shooting the NPOA star, the best shooter was a young lady, Andrea Farrar, who was probably 12 or 13. She placed all but one of her shots right in, and around, the star. Unfortunately she was forced to leave mid-morning when she became ill. She is diabetic and that contributed to her illness.  Her older sister, Amanda, kept improving, with a top score of 202. After the closing ceremonies, she and a couple of other shooters chose to shoot one more. She became too tired and shot a lower score. We were all disappointed that she did not make a Rifleman. :'(  The top shooter of the weekend shot a 210 Sunday morning and just kept improving, achieving scores of 228, 231, and 237. And this was with a bolt rifle and no sling. Special congratulations go to Marcos More'.  :)

Afterwards, some of the young shooters, and older ones too, signed up for rifle classes given by Jerry Roberts, who has been giving these classes for many years. He was one of the RSOs who helped and encouraged the young shooters so much.

I was about to give the command to Fire on one of the strings that afternoon when one of the young shooters asked if they got extra points for hitting the turkey. Thinking he was joking, I said "Sure". Then we all noticed two wild turkeys slowly meandering around in the brush far behind the target line. ??? I had never faced that situation before. We decided to clear the line, and Jerry and myself walked back and encouraged the turkeys to skedaddle. They accommodated us and we proceeded.  ;D

Both the young shooters, and the adults, were highly complimentary and were anxious for Appleseed to return. So are we. Claude is actively pursuing that goal for the Fall, as well as next year. He and his wife, Bobbie, are both enthusiastic shooters, as well as his son-in-law and two grandsons. 

I hope to include pictures soon.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

funfaler

Great Job, to both Claude and You (and Mrs. Dirt-bag).

25 shooters!  With just 3 weeks notice....makes one wonder why we ever have less than 25 shooters on an Appleseed firing line  ::)

I would like to pile on my "Thanks" to you for taking on this shoot short notice and doing the work of 3 Instructors!  I guess beneath that "Dirt-bag" persona is a strong, hansom, energetic Patriot that just loves to Appleseed.....Yep, I can see the Spirit of '76 (should be '75) being planted where ever the Dirt-bag...ah Don goes.....just to get him to learn to play the fife  :o

Agian, great work and thanks!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!