News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

August 2012 Lewistown PA Appleseed

Started by Publican, June 07, 2012, 08:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

I know this may be preaching to the choir but what the heck. I know I lurked a bit before I signed up for my 1st Appleseed so maybe we can generate some interest for those other elusive lurkers.

I did sign up for a second event this August. It looks like we already have 7 folks planning on attending. I will try to update this thread as time allows between work and "the real world".

Let me just say a couple things right now about the facilities we use at the Mifflin County Sportsmans Association http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/  Camping (rustic) is available. The range(s) we shoot on are covered so unless the rain goes sideways (yes it did this past weekend) you stay relatively dry. The roof also came in handy Friday night I because we got massive amounts of rain and a bit of wind as well. My summer tent set-up decided to huddle flat on the ground so under the roof I went with just the sleeping bag. A great night! (Gotta run, more to come)
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Publican

A bit about camping at the range. I found that the time spent preparing dinner, eating and relaxing afterwards was the perfect time to sit and chat with like minded people. Think of it as getting to know those friends you haven't yet met. I intend to camp again in August.

And for those who may be feeling a bit antisocial but still want to camp, there is plenty of room to get away from it all as well. To camp at this range you need to make arrangements ahead of time but this is easy to do.

There are quite a few strategically located out houses so don't let that hold you back.

About the people who belong to the range. Quite a few folks spoke with us over the weekend and stressed how much they liked "us"...the Appleseed folks. And as I was sitting facing the road during non-shooting times, it seemed like EVERY vehicle that drove by waved at us. It must have been the the (11?) flags hanging from the roof line that gave us away.

To sum it all up:
Great people
Great facility
Definitely camp if you can
YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

TheF00L

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Publican

LURKERS:

Currently looks like 7 attending so far. Trust me folks....This is one range worth visiting.
A 1000 YD RANGE ^:)^
A COVERED SHOOTING LINE :cool2:
CAMPING ON SITE!!! (Yep, my tent and freeze dried food will be there again ::) )
4-STAR BATHROOMS (well, outhouses)  **)
http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/facilities.htm  Check out the facilities and come to your 1st shoot at a great range

Now for a moment of seriousness (Is that actually a word?  #) )   The instruction on how to become a Rifleman was amazing. I was/am a noob when it comes to long guns but learned quickly because of the great instruction. It is one thing to read about it but when you take a 2 day intense course, firing hundreds of rounds...you learn a thing or two. But what shocked me the most was what we learned about our Forefathers which was NEVER TAUGHT to us in school. If you want to hear some of the real tales of what sacrifices were made so we could live a free life, come on out and prepare to be awaken like I was.

Publican

Ahhh, the lurkers have struck again. Eight now scheduled for the event.

Sign up now before we head back into football, school, homework...... The weekends will suddenly seem too full to do anything else.

And August nights are some of the most beautiful for camping out.
Imagine being so far away from the city lights that the night sky seems aglow.
That owl that you hear in the trees above your tent suddenly is answered by another 1000 yards away at the far targets.
Who needs a radio to fall asleep to when you have the natural night sounds singing you to sleep?

Don't let this one slip by. Don't look back and say "I knew I should have gone before the hectic life started back up again this Fall".

See you there!
..:..

Publican

If there are any lurkers reading this and you have questions about this coming weekend, PLEASE ASK! O0