News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Your help is needed...

Started by Barbie, May 30, 2012, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbie

Hi there!

I am working on some details for a week-long promo opportunity for AS at the Ripley Co. 4-H Fair in Osgood, IN July 22-28th.  Aside from all the other stuff that'll be going on/displayed at the booth, I would like to make up a scrapbook of sorts with "testimonials" from fellow Appleseeders (beginners all the way up through instructors & shoot bosses) that visitors to the booth could browse through.

So...      :sos:

* How did you first become involved with Appleseed?
* What are some of the most important things you've learned since being involved with Appleseed?
* What would you say to someone considering attending an Appleseed event?

-->  I would like to include pictures also, so if you want to attach a picture of yourself in action at an Appleseed shoot to your comment, that would be super!  Respond on this thread, or if you'd rather you can PM me and I'll get you my personal email address.

**After I am done making this and using it during that week, if anyone would like to use it for their promo opportunities I'd be more than happy to send it your way.!

Thanks ya'll!   O0

~ Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Roland

Be glad to contribute. Feel free to edit as you see fit.

I first became involved in Appleseed because my dad wanted me to be taught how to shoot the correct way. I didn't shoot a rifleman score my first time, but I came back and not only shot a rifleman score, but picked up an orange hat.

The most important thing I've learned from the shooting side would be Natural Point of Aim. From the citizenship side, it would be that even at my young age, I can still make a difference.

I would like to say, come out and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask the instructors for help.

Pics, wasn't sure what kind you wanted so I included both:

Shooting:

Instructing:

If there's anything  else I can help with let me know.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Pitmaster

I posted this on the Appleseed at Bellevue, MI AAR. Feel free to use all or parts of. The last line about my thoughts regarding the quote might be edited which is fine.

After attending my first Appleseed (Watervliet, MI) and other boring details prior, I registered for the Bellevue Appleseed. My club (Bend of the River Conservation Club) is hosting an AS in Niles, MI. I am bringing 5 other shooters who are even more inexperienced with rifles than I am. I decided to keep the others from worrying about the youngest member who is 8 years old (grandniece) so I should at least be a little ahead of the learning curve of the others.

I have read Paul Revere's Ride and found it quite interesting, but after hearing the 3 strikes and stories at my first AS, inspiring has been added. I have become even more inspired since I was asked to wear a blue hat.  I accepted the honor of wearing the blue hat offered by the Shoot Boss intheburbs.

While at the Watervliet Appleseed I realized it was possible that I am a direct descendant of a patriot who fought in the Battles of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1774 and increased my pride as an American and supporter of Project Appleseed. My family originates from the Pilgrims who came to this continent on the Mayflower.

Friday morning before I left for Bellevue I posted a note that I was off to Appleseed with a link. A paternal cousin who has conducted a thorough genealogical research of our family traced our lineage back to Francis Cook(e) who came to America on the Mayflower. He responded within a hour "Do you recall you have a Great-Great-.....Great Grandfather Noah Cook who was a Revolutionary War Vet?" That was exciting to learn on my way to Bellevue.

Saturday was great with the rain, the people, the strikes, the stories, and the training. I slowly began to put some pieces together and shot a 96 on the last AQT of the day. I did not score or keep the AQTs from Watervliet. Although I doubt I did better. This will help track improvement and along with reading the target I should be able to reach my goal of becoming a rifleman by the April 19, 2013 Appleseed.

Overnight I began to think about what Appleseed means to me. Thinking kept bringing back the same quote from the movie As Good As It Gets where Jack Nicholson tells Helen Hunt "You make me want to be a better man" That was confirmed upon arrival Sunday morning when intheburbs started off talking about what Appleseed means to him and used virtually the same quote. The Sunday heat took its toll on me, even though I was prepared with protein, water, ice, watermelon, and cooling rags. I made it through the morning with effort and determination and was glad for the lunch break. After lunch, the heat became worse and I stuck it out some and shot my last AQT of the day with a score of 121. At that point I decided to take a break and went to get another bag of ice and cool off. The AC drive helped and some cold water helped enough over the next couple of hours to drive home safely.

The highlights and inspiration of my experience in no particular order are:

1.   Watching a family of four becoming inspired enough to buy a rifleman opportunity card, regretting not coming for both days, and spending time together.
2.    Watching Bob, a teenager shooting a bolt action rifle left handed and being just short of a rifleman score because of time. Bob's shooting was on target but using the bolt left-handed was hard to overcome but he kept trying and eventually earned a Rifleman patch with another rifle.
3.   One of my favorite things is watching kids at Appleseed. Their energy and effortless learning is wonderful to watch. There was one young gal who was 9 and another in her teens, but I can't drag their names out of my brain right now.
4.   Watching Kris get his Red Hat and shooting his FN-FAL

I'm sure I'm forgetting some comments I wanted to make, but this will have to do.

To quote an actor who made it his catchphrase

"I'll Be Back"
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Barbie

Roland & Pitmaster, thanks for the contributions.   ..:..     I'm glad to add you to my lil' project.  Hopefully within the next few weeks we can get some more Appleseeders to add to the bunch.

See ya'll on the trail.

~ Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

dart67eb

Three years ago all I did was scream at my TV.  Why am I in Appleseed?  Well, if I had something better to do, I'd be doing it.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: dart67eb on May 30, 2012, 11:51:17 PM
Three years ago all I did was scream at my TV.  Why am I in Appleseed?  Well, if I had something better to do, I'd be doing it.

I threw shoes and chain smoked...

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Barbie

Quote from: yellowhousejake on May 30, 2012, 11:55:12 PM
Quote from: dart67eb on May 30, 2012, 11:51:17 PM

I threw shoes and chain smoked...

YHJ

Oh boy...   ;D

"Angry with the politicians preaching on your tv... stop throwing things at it.  Save your tv.  Throw lead downrange instead."

This public service announcement brought to you by Appleseed.

:---

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

GoldFish

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

George Hacker

I came to my first Appleseed event the fourth of July weekend in 2011.  I was feeling a little patriotic because July 4 was the most important date in American history, right?  April 19, 1775 didn't "click" with me because I didn't like to learn just names and dates when I had history in school growing up and modern American culture doesn't celebrate this date.  I wonder why...

Although I was a pretty good shot, Appleseed taught me how to be a better marksman.  Appleseed also helped me be more safe with firearms because of their repetition and attention to detail.  Sometimes we become to casual with firearms safety over time when we are self taught and just shoot with friends.

Project Appleseed woke me up.  It helped me discover the story of April 19, 1775 and I learned how all of the early Americans were marksmen.  Rifle marksmanship is our heritage and every American should learn to be a rifleman.  The greatest thing that Appleseed has taught me is that America was born because of the determination of a few who faced the superpower of the 18th century with insurmountable odds.  America was born because the people refused to submit to tyranny.  She was born from the bottom-up, not the top-down.  America will be restored from the bottom-up as well.  The greatest thing Project Appleseed has done is restored my hope that America can be fixed and that I can have a part in that - despite insurmountable odds.

Are you already a good shot?  Great - come to an Appleseed event and become a better shot.
Do you feel America is beyond the point of no return?  Come to an Appleseed event and find hope and learn how you can make a difference.
Think you are the only one who sees our liberty slipping away?  Come to an Appleseed event and meet others who love America like you do.

- George Hacker (aka ShadowMan on the Appleseed Forums)
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

LittleMo

Hope this isn't too late. If you can use the attached, please do so because that's what it is for. Basically it how "The Mrs." (Sue) and myself got involved in Appleseed.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Barbie

Shadowman and LittleMo, thank you for your additions.  And no, they're not too late!  I will be adding them to the promo binder this weekend.

Thanks again!   O0

- Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com