News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Daddy's Day Roast at Davilla, 14-15 June

Started by didactic, June 15, 2008, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didactic

No, we didn't have an Emcee introducing a stream of people to say nasty, semi-funny things about some reluctant guest-of-honor.

We just roasted.

Eighteen shooters on the line Saturday, twelve this morning.  World-record quantities of Gatorade and water consumed.  No new Riflemen, but a handful knocking on the door, one 199 that I saw.  We simply didn't shoot as many AQT's as the normal shoot, 'cuz it was just TOO DXXN HOT to stay out in the full sun for back-to-back stages.  Anybody that wants to call us wimps is welcome to do that after they've attended the August Davilla AS.

Good group as always, and the shoot was saved (and i do not exaggerate) by 3HOLEPETE and the two shade canopies he brought.

More to follow tomorrow.  I just got home, and am too tired and sore and sunburnt and sweaty and probably stinky to type any more.  Cool shower awaits!
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

voortrekker

pics of the shoot :

Saturday morning 6:30 AM, 3holepete making sure everything is in place on the line.

didactic, a "Rifleman" as the breakfast cook Saturday 6:15 AM.

Saturday morning Safety briefing, 8:30 AM.

labrat and Groundhog giving instruction.

didactic as the Line Boss instructing.

PJ, instructing on IMC.

labrat giving the 2nd Strike speech.

I once probably could have done that too. (probably not)   ;D

The entire line on Sunday.

Seven of the ten Texas Black Sheep Squadron Cadre.

It was searing hot during mid day.  The attendees hung in there very well considering the extreme heat.

A big thanks to all the shooters(future "Riflemen") and instructors for taking the time even on a "Father's Day" weekend to help preserve our Republic's heritage-  Appleseed Project

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

LabRat

Thanks for the pictures! It's a good camera, since it doesn't show the shimmering heat mirage above our heads in the last photo, nor the steam coming out of our ears!

Yeah, the heat was an issue, but I was impressed with the way everyone slogged on, shooters and instructors alike.

That scrawny mesquite in the morning briefing photo is about the only natural shade anywhere near the line, so a big thanks to 3HOLEPETE for the shade. We'd all have been cooked (literally) without it.

For those reading who haven't been to Davilla, you owe it to yourselves to make the trip.

Scout never fails to put on a first-class event. I was always a little amazed that Scout would invite dozens of strangers to his place with rifles, but then I realized, as corny as it may sound, that anyone attending an Appleseed really isn't a stranger. They're just friends you haven't known very long!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

DNT...Death N Taxes

Davilla was my first Appleseed... and even though it was hot and hotter.....it was good reality training for anyone out there who may be under the illusion that shooting skills only come into play in preferrable weather.

Already signed up for August..... and will bring in tow a couple of RN buddies and medical supplies just in case we have some potential heat casualties if they think they can handle it) along with a big sack of instant ICE PACKS to cool-down future and present riflemen BEFORE anybody gets too warm.) I guess the EX-USN Corpsman in me wants to give back to a most-worthy cause.....

A nutritional recommendation for prolonged heat exposure to balance off the water intake and perspiration....BEEF JERKY. Yep, the salt, sugar, and protein in beef jerky will replentish what you sweat-out and flush-out via water intake to a certain degree.

See y'all out there....and I cannot say enough how great the instruction was at Scout's range.

Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, and rapists, and even more so for politicians.

Just because you're not out looking for a fight doesn't mean a fight isn't out looking for you.

txpirate

Whew, it was HOT that weekend. My brother and I had a fantastic time at this Appleseed. Both of us are already counting on coming to another one ASAP, and bringing some friends. According to other members of my family, my brother has been telling as much of the 3strikes stories as he can, especially the old men story. It is a great day when a 16 yr old is telling everyone he can about being a real American.