News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Three Day Weekend

Started by Miller, May 25, 2012, 09:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

So for many of us this will be a three day weekend.
Who all is going to spend some time at the range?

Me?
Well, a guy at work is bringing me as a guest to "his" club tomorrow.
May pick up a membership form.
Will be leaving a few Red Coats, AQTs, and a stack of tri-folds.  O0

So what are YOU doing?
Fearful but resolute.

scuzzy

I'm right next door to you guys here in Nebraska. Drove up from Texas to do a shoot with our Nebraska brothers in Grand Island.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Kosciusko

Every day, 100 rounds minimum thru the 10/22, maybe another 100 thru the Mk II pistol at the clanger plate

If I feel ambitious, twice a day, morning and afternoon

say hi to the schnauzers for me

k

Ratchett

'Seeding with the great folks in Centerton, Arkansas!!
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Cooper

Appleseed "planting" here on the orchard, with invites out to neighbors, clinic staff, a couple docs and the intensive care nurses for "free" introductory safety training and marksmanship lessons in the firearms of their choice/comfort....  the "cost" is to hear the history and listen to encouragement to attend a Project Appleseed event.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Pitmaster

^:)^ Appleseed in Bellevue MI. Honey do on Monday.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Kosciusko

Hey Cooper!

send them to Holmen next weekend, lots of space left on the line. 

I have loaner rifles.  Have them email me at mnappleseed@gmail.com to arrange it.

k

Alex

Appleseeding in Sioux Falls, SD this weekend and plan to stop in Storm Lake on my way back home on Monday to check out a potential new range for Iowa.
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Miller

Well that was a morning well spent I feel.
As we were between strings on the pistol range a fellow came up from the rifle area.
The club had been running a rimfire silhouette match and he had just gotten done.  He noticed my LTR on the bench (relax, not a shot was fired from the bench) and we got to talking.  Long story short, he went home with a Red Coat and a bit of history.

I will be going to the club's meeting next month to apply for membership. 

And with a little luck maybe we can add Blue Grass, Iowa to the schedule for next summer.
And I will be making an effort to make a silhouette match or two to spread the 'seed gospel.

Fearful but resolute.

Alex

Great job! Way to seventh step. By the way, did you improve on your 205 that you shot in Winterset?
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Miller

Yes and no.
Put the Tech-Sight'd barrel back on the wooden stock and took a few minutes dialing it back in.
Ran an AQT that scored at 211 but didn't run it against the clock or bother with mag changes.
So barely, and not by the rules, but the skill set is still there.

Used a 5 inch squares for getting sighted back in and it provided a wonderful opportunity to explain what we teach.  I walked my buddy and his son through a condensed version of IMC and then showed them how I was able to use a five round group to get my point of impact where I wanted with just one adjustment. 

Strangely I shot much better standing with a Hasty sling  than I did prone with a loop.  Or at least more consistently.  Some time on the living room floor is in order I think.

One point that really pleased me was my groups.  I didn't have the issue with fussing the first and last shots that has bugged me previously.  Some really nice 2-3 MOA groups. 

Heh, and that was under a covered line with a friend two lanes over running his Ruger Redhawk in .44mag.  Plugs and muffs were in use today.

If I can sell hosting a shoot or three to the club you will love the rifle range.  Berms at 100 and 200 yards, covered equipment line (we'd have to put the firing line forward a bit to avoid the concrete benches), and a handy little light system for marking the range cold.  Plenty of room for twenty shooters to work at 25m and space on the end to run them through KD as time allows.  The only downside is no steel targets allowed.

If the rifle range isn't available we could also take over the pistol range.  Not ideal because of a poorly planned housing development but workable. 

If I get accepted as a member I'll be sure to have you over to take a look.
Fearful but resolute.

Alex

That would be great Ben. I am off to sleep it is finally getting dark here. I look forward to another awesome day of Appleseeding tomorrow. See you in Montrose.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Thomas Paine

Edheler

Quote from: Miller on May 25, 2012, 09:31:42 PM
So for many of us this will be a three day weekend.
Who all is going to spend some time at the range?

Me?
Well, a guy at work is bringing me as a guest to "his" club tomorrow.
May pick up a membership form.
Will be leaving a few Red Coats, AQTs, and a stack of tri-folds.  O0

So what are YOU doing?

I went to an IBC! ^:)^ Huzzah!