News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Re: Drinking From the Firehose: Reflection

Started by Miller, May 08, 2012, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

So confirmation came through.
Over there to the left, under my name but over the pooch it now reads Instructor In Training 2.
And with no shoot to prep for this weekend I pause for a moment and reflect.
Man this has gone fast.
Two shoots, two PCs, two advancements.
My "plan" of having a new red hat before my birthday suddenly seems like I may have set the bar a bit low.
And yet I remember the old saw of pride going before the fall.
And I notice that every time I get a different number after my "rank" the forum gets bigger. 
Makes another promotion a bit daunting.  Not sure if I can afford the bandwidth to read all that information.

I'd write more but I've got some reading to do.
And some scribbling.  Before I tell a strike I figure on scratching it out on paper.  I just seem to recall things better if I've put ink to foolscap. 
Fearful but resolute.

George Hacker

Go, Miller, go!

I hope you have started on telling the history.  When I started as an IIT, everyone would move from IIT to IIT3 pretty quickly then hit the wall because of PC4 - the history PC.  Do a strike here, a DOM there, as you continue working your way through IIT3, then PC4 won't be so daunting.  Once PC4 has been passed, then your IPC will fall into place.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Miller

Quote from: ShadowMan on May 09, 2012, 03:48:53 AM
Go, Miller, go!

I hope you have started on telling the history.  When I started as an IIT, everyone would move from IIT to IIT3 pretty quickly then hit the wall because of PC4 - the history PC.  Do a strike here, a DOM there, as you continue working your way through IIT3, then PC4 won't be so daunting.  Once PC4 has been passed, then your IPC will fall into place.

- ShadowMan

I've done a D.O.M. At each of my last two shoots but haven't tried a strike yet.
That is on the plan for my next shoot.
My "plan" is to try the second strike first.  Very solid points for beginning and end so it'll be a good one for me to get my feet wet on I think. 
Have some sympathy for my friends.  They're going to be hearing the story A LOT until I feel comfortable with my delivery.
Fearful but resolute.

George Hacker

Quote from: Miller on May 09, 2012, 08:29:12 PM
I've done a D.O.M. At each of my last two shoots but haven't tried a strike yet.
My "plan" is to try the second strike first.  Very solid points for beginning and end so it'll be a good one for me to get my feet wet on I think. 
Have some sympathy for my friends.  They're going to be hearing the story A LOT until I feel comfortable with my delivery.
The first strike I told was the 2nd strike.  It is a good one to get started with for the reasons you state.  At another shoot I did the prelims and the 3rd strike.  The 1st strike I saved for last.  The 1st and 2nd strike are difficult for me to get through without getting misty.  The 3rd strike is all win all the way back to Charlestown, except for some of the atrocities at Menotomy.

Best wishes,

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Edheler

Quote from: Miller on May 09, 2012, 08:29:12 PM

I told my first history this past weekend, the second strike and David Lamson. I practiced by telling the second strike aloud on my drives to and from work. I liked doing it that way because I couldn't refer to my notes and my drive is about 30 minutes long. When I did it at the Appleseed I ran a little long, and need to reorganize it a bit for more emotional impact. I agree that the second strike is a good one to start with as the story almost tells itself. Good luck!

AFTERMATH

Start with the DOM stories, then move to 2nd Strike, then 3rd, then 1st.  Then all three at once - Then you'll probably have it nailed. O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]