News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Event Coordination - Harvard June 17

Started by Lima Tango, April 25, 2012, 04:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lima Tango

[I split this into it's own topic - the Dwarven One]

the 1 day AS at Harvard on June 17th, how does the instruction and course of fire go for the day? Is it 2 days crammed into 1 or is it like a typical 2nd day where we are just blasting out AQTs?

dwarven1

More like the first day crammed in to a Sunday with as many AQTs and as much history as we can get in.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Lima Tango

I have a friend I took to Proctor last year who shot a 207. She mentioned that she would like another crack at the AQT this year. Maybe I can drag her along to Harvard.

lupis42

Quote from: Lima Tango on April 25, 2012, 04:46:08 PM
Sounds good. Not to get off track, but the 1 day AS at Harvard on June 17th, how does the instruction and course of fire go for the day? Is it 2 days crammed into 1 or is it like a typical 2nd day where we are just blasting out AQTs?

If there are enough people who are close (>160s), the great thing about Harvard is that you can run a Sunday COF on the 65 and a Saturday COF in a pit and meet up for the heritage. 

It's how I ran the first Harvard one-day.  IIRC, Ninsho had the 'all AQTs all the time' line and made nearly all of them riflemen.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

Lima Tango

I am trying to make myself a idiot proof cheat sheet for the line commands. During stage by stage, are they loading and then transitioning or transitioning then loading?

Kaylee

Transition, then load is the standard I believe.

Also, empty rifles are more forgiving of muzzle discipline lapses in new students. :)

VietVet

Transition first then load.
A complete transition. Watch for those that may want to "Load" while transitioning. Some may hold their mags in their hand and attempt to load during the trans. I've seen this a few times. Just an FYI.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Mr.Freedom

I agree with the last two posters. Always transition with an EMPTY AND UNLOADED rifle. I think most line bosses also instruct to have the safety on, not 100 % sure about that however.
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

Kaylee

From Firewall's cheat sheet, directly from the manual -
LINE COMMANDS
• Shooters, your x min. preparation period begins now!
• Shooters, your preparation period has ended!
• (Non transition): With x rounds...LOAD
• (Transition stages 2 & 3): SAFETIES ON! STAND!
• Is the line ready?
• Ready on the right?
• Ready on the left?
• All ready on the firing line!
• FIRE!
• CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!
• UNLOAD AND CLEAR!
• Is the line clear on the right?
• Is the line clear on the left?
• THE LINE IS CLEAR! THE LINE IS CLEAR!
• Shooters, you may proceed downrange!

Lima Tango

Yes I wanted  to double check as in Firewall's cheatsheet the transition is after load.
I made my self a cheatsheet with 2 sets of line commands; one for rapid fire and one for transitions.
The 2nd section will have the transition 1st then the load command.

Thanks,
-LT

lupis42

LT,

There is no load command for stage by stage.  The shooters get the fire command, and transition, then load and fire 'on the clock'.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: lupis42 on May 15, 2012, 10:58:23 AM
LT,

There is no load command for stage by stage.  The shooters get the fire command, and transition, then load and fire 'on the clock'.

Thank you, that now makes clear sense. See you on Saturday!
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

dwarven1

Yee-ha! It's a month out and we already have 11 shooters signed up.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

what about someone looking to volunteer foy 6/17 in Harvard as the first step?

dwarven1

Quote from: mj52 on June 02, 2012, 06:55:23 PM
what about someone looking to volunteer foy 6/17 in Harvard as the first step?

Did you already volunteer for an Orange hat? IIRC, you've already shot Rifleman, right?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dwarven1

Anyone else going to be instructing that day? Voidoid? Aim? Brad? Janet? Rocky? Uh!

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

Not sure what I need to do in order to start the process. So I figured just add a reply to this thread and see where it led.

dwarven1

Quote from: mj52 on June 04, 2012, 10:04:32 PM
Not sure what I need to do in order to start the process. So I figured just add a reply to this thread and see where it led.

First step is to get your Orange Hat - have you done this?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

Quote from: dwarven1 on June 06, 2012, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: mj52 on June 04, 2012, 10:04:32 PM

First step is to get your Orange Hat - have you done this?

No,

mj52

aim

I'm coming, I will bring a grill and some hotdogs/buns/chips, but will not have a loaner rifle available.
Shiny!

Ulysses

I have signed up to attend as an IIT and would like to give the third Strike if it is available.
No meals under my belt.

dwarven1

MJ52 - if you're shooting, you can come at 8:30 and sleep late. 7:30 is when we'll start getting the line set up. If you want to help set up... see you at 7:30.

Aim - grill and hot dogs not needed - there'll be a lunch truck there.

Ulysses - if I don't need Lima Tango to do it for his PC4 (and I don't know what he's got checked off yet), you've got it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

voidoid

Hi everyone,

I'll be there closer to 8AM with 2 loaners, mags, tools, etc.  Small chance of rain but the weather looks good (shh....). 
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
~George Washington

dwarven1

If anyone knows where the ratchet wrench and the extra two ratchets are, PLEASE contact me tonight - or show up tomorrow morning at 7:30 to help string the lines!!!

Ross

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

Monday 6/18/12

As of 6/17 I have my 2 Appleseed Rifleman Patches and my brandspankinnew orange hat.

The Instructors are always offering tips, solutions to how they solved the problem they see you wrestling with. I got a few of those this last Sunday.

One in particular was how to transition safely from one position to another. Easy peezy once I got it.

Another was on how to shoot the targets. Let's say, left to right on the 400, up, and then right to left on the 300. This saves you a few seconds shifting and re-acquiring your NPOA.

Someone else noticed my ear muffs weren't down ( I had those foam thingies in ). While I was shooting, they simply put them on for me. I never missed a beat, they never said anything. Have no idea who that was but Thank You. I shot a 276 on that AQT.

I'm really looking forward to a Winterseed, 30 and sunny would be nice. and, I like those little marshmallows in my cocoa.

So, please let me know what my requirements are and I'll start working on them,

Thanks, MJ52

aim

Quote from: mj52 on June 18, 2012, 03:43:37 PM
As of 6/17 I have my 2 Appleseed Rifleman Patches and my brandspankinnew orange hat.
Congratulations!
...I shot a 276 on that AQT.
276! O0 Thats' way beyond cook territory! That make you a CHEF!
So, please let me know what my requirements are and I'll start working on them,
Thanks, MJ52
How to become an Instructor thread: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5052.0

The Instructor Pages (T.I.P.S.): https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/start.php

Register for an Appleseed as an instructor (instructions for registering are here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24849.0) and show up with the PC1 form (https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/docs/PC1%202012.pdf) filled in. Easy peezy! Unless you are not yet an instructor on the forum, of course, in which case dwarven1 and I will do all we can to expedite the process.

Congratulations!
Shiny!

dwarven1

Ratchet wrench & ratchets were cleverly hidden by Lupis42 and found by the lovely and talented Luv2BFree (Thanks, Alix!)

mj52, I will email you the IIT0 form from home tonight; fill it out and either snailmail it back to me or scan it and email it to me.

I will be entering promotions tonight, Ulysses & Lima Tango, so don't panic if you don't see any changes yet. For some odd reason, they prefer me to do work at work... (and since I'm on a break now, I can sneak a few minutes on the forum.)

GEORGE WASHINGTON

mj52

I was sent a group of 4 links by AIM. the 2 links listed below deny me access. AIM's message to me is part of this thread. and was posted (Yesterday) or 6/18/12 at 10:25:09PM

The Instructor Pages (T.I.P.S.): https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/start.php

Register for an Appleseed as an instructor (instructions for registering are here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24849.0)

Thanks, MJ52

dwarven1

Where you're not registered as an IIT yet you're not going to get access. Patience, grasshopper.

Ross

GEORGE WASHINGTON