News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

rifle requirements

Started by otter1422, April 29, 2012, 12:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter1422

I am new to firearms and just bought an M&P1522 rifle to shoot with. I desperately need to get some instruction on how to properly shoot my rifle. The rifle has iron sights on it and I purchased a scope for it that I have little idea how to properly mount and no idea how to properly use or sight in. :-[ I stumbled upon the Appleseed program and it sounds great but it appears I may be in need of some even more basic rifle training than this program is designed for is that correct? It also appears I have completely the wrong rifle and lack of accessories such as sling, shooting mat.
   Is there some other training/program I should start with? Do I need to have a different rifle for the Appleseed program?

Morpheus

You are definitely in the right place. Appleseed Shoots are perfectly suited for the newbie shooter and lifelong shooter as well. Appleseed Instructors are all volunteers and provide some of the best marksmanship instruction that is available. When you show up to an AS (Appleseed Shoot) you will find yourself amongst friends.

The M&P 15-22 is a fine rifle. You shouldn't have any problems with it. Iron sights or a scope is the shooter's choice. I personally would encourage using iron sights if your eyes are up for it. (some of us older shooters are unable to properly focus on the front sight)

I don't know where you are located but if you check out the AS schedule you should be able to find a shoot in your area. There is a link on the shoot venue page with a comprehensive list on what to bring to a shoot. The most important item to bring to an AS is a teachable attitude. It sounds like that is not a problem for you. O0

Welcome to Appleseed! The folks I have met through this program are some of the finest individuals that I know. I trust and hope your experience is no different.
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Trig

Typically there is some contact info for an instructor on the information link for whatever shoot you choose.  Send that contact person an email or personal message on here, and we will make sure to get you whatever equipment you may need (i.e. sling and mat).

Appleseed is a great place to get started, let us know if you have any additional questions!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

douglas34474

The Appleseed store sells slings. Your rifle should come with sling swivels. If not, they are easy to find. Check Brownells or Midway for what you need.

As to a shooting mat, I use the GI closed cell sleep bag ground pad. You can also find the same thing at WallyWorld. Costs about $15. Regular shooting mats can be found for $25 to $30 on sale. Midway comes to mind.

IMHO, learn how to run your rifle, load unload, safety etc. Then find an Appleseed near you and learn how to shoot it. The MP 15-22 is a great rifle for training.  ;)

LadyVetch

You came to the right place.  All you need is a willingness to learn.  We can help with the rest.   That's what we volunteer for.  Introducing new shooters to our shared heritage of rifle marksmnaship.  We love to help.

The shooting mat is nice but not needed.  Many people bring a blanket and tarp or a piece of carpet about the size of your body.  Just something big enough for you and especially your elbows.

Your rifle is great.  Where in WI are you from?   We can help get you in touch with the shoot boss for that event.  That way he/she can be prepared to assist you as needed. 

Let us know & welcome!

Ladyvetch from the Madison area.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

otter1422

I am near Madison and was thinking of attending next week's program in Baraboo.

9mm4545

Quote from: otter1422 on April 29, 2012, 12:10:02 AM
I am new to firearms and just bought an M&P1522 rifle to shoot with. I desperately need to get some instruction on how to properly shoot my rifle. The rifle has iron sights on it and I purchased a scope for it that I have little idea how to properly mount and no idea how to properly use or sight in. :-[ I stumbled upon the Appleseed program and it sounds great but it appears I may be in need of some even more basic rifle training than this program is designed for is that correct? It also appears I have completely the wrong rifle and lack of accessories such as sling, shooting mat.
   Is there some other training/program I should start with? Do I need to have a different rifle for the Appleseed program?

I would recommend reading the instruction manual that came with your rifle and becoming familiar with how the controls work: safety, magazine release, bolt lock/release, how to load and unload. After that, find an Appleseed, sign up, show up, and hang on! You will improve more in one weekend than in months of trying to learn on your own. Your M&P is a great rifle to learn with and should serve you well.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

spitfire51

Appleseed is great instruction for beginners.  We have people show up who have never fired a rifle before in their lives and do very well for themselves.  Get signed up for Baraboo, come ready to learn, and you'll have a fantastic time.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

AuntieBellum

otter, I'm so glad to see that you're considering coming to Baraboo this weekend.  I went to my very first Appleseed in Wisconsin just up the road in New Lisbon nearly two years ago, and the instructors were so helpful.  They were so patient with me and helped me not only learn how to use my rifle, but helped me fall in love with my heritage and Appleseed.  My husband, Rimshot, and I are border raiding from Indiana this weekend and instructing at the Baraboo shoot, so I'd love to pass along all the help they gave me to you.   O0

A 15-22 is great choice.  You mentioned having some trouble mounting your scope - do you have the scope rings yet?  If it's positioning the scope properly (how far forward, back,etc), we can help you on Saturday and get you sighted in.  If you're having difficulty figuring out the hardware and getting the right scope rings, let us know what brand and model of scope you have, and I bet we can find you some help right here, including gun shops to send you to in your area.  If you don't have two magazines already, you may want to pick up a second if you can.  Bring eye protection, ear protection, a mat of some sort to lay on, and 500-600 rounds of ammo and you'll be set.  Oh, and water and lunch.  So go sign up and come ready to learn.  See you Saturday!   ^:)^
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Rimshot

Hello otter.  I'm the shoot boss for this event.  The only thing you absolutely need to bring is a teachable attitude.  Everything else is secondary.

As far as equipment is concerned, I'm a huge believer in "run what you brung."  Appleseed's marksmanship instruction is about you learning to shoot your own rifle.  You have purchased a fine rifle.  At least two magazines is preferred.  We will shoot about 450-500 rounds, so you will need ammo as well as eye and ear protection.  We will instruct you in the use of slings.  I find the GI web sling to be a huge aid to shooting steady, but I will work with any type.  If you have no sling at all, I will try to have a spare available you can borrow.  I think you will see that the sling has much greater uses than just carrying the rifle.

Other equipment is pretty optional.  I went to my first Appleseed on a carpet square from Walmart.  I eventually purchased a shooting mat but it isn't a critical piece of equipment.  You will want something between you and the ground to blunt the occasional pebble or lump, but no need to spend buku bucks to get something in time for the weekend.  If you are just now mounting that scope you should bring the tools needed to loosen the mounts in case adjustments are necessary, but you won't need a whole toolbox.  If you have a utility stapler bring it to hang targets.  If not, I carry one you can borrow.  Something to write on and with is helpful.  All told though, if you show up with just a rifle, magazines and ammo, and basic safety gear we can make this work.

On the instructional side, Appleseed is about fundamentals.  Dribbling a basketball is a fundamental skill that is good to learn and practice for both novices playing a pickup game in the driveway and serious athletes in a tournament.  In the same way, the ability to hold the rifle in a steady and consistent manner and fire an accurate shot is something that applies to all shooting disciplines.  We will instruct you in some positions that are handy for field shooting, and will be a tool in your metaphorical toolbox regardless of what specific disciplines within the shooting sports you might choose to pursue.

I do hope to see you on Saturday.  If you have any concerns, you can either post them up here or email me at rpfaff.rwva@gmail.com

Robb
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

otter1422

Thanks Rimshot, AuntieBellum nice to see everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have the M&P1522 MOE model so it has only the sling it has the QD sling swivel cup for single point sling mounted by the stock. Looks like Appleseed wants a two point sling so I will try and get out and get some mount for the front as well? I may not be able to pick up sling in time but will try and find one. I have the iron sights on the rifle so I guess I want to start with those but I will bring the scope and mounting rings I have just case. Thanks again can't wait to learn from you guys!

George Hacker

Most instructors will have zip ties in their range bag so a way to attach a sling at two points will be found.  It may not be pretty, but it will be functional.

otter1422 - thanks for planning ahead.  I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at your first event.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Rimshot

I'll look forward to seeing you there, otter.  If you get a chance, see the registration link here: http://www.eventbrite.com/myevent?eid=3072831923

Walk ons are welcome, but an accurate Pre-registration list helps me plan the necessary supplies such as targets and backer boards I will need to pack.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

otter1422

I am registered thanks again look forward to seeing you Saturday.

Trig

I love happy endings!   Have a great shoot!   :---
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************