News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Perry after action

Started by 1shot, June 17, 2007, 07:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1shot

Topic: Camp Perry after action
Pages: [1]   Go Down    
<< previous next >>
     Mark unread  |  Print    
   Author    Topic: Camp Perry after action  (Read 232 times)
1shot and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.
wildman
RWVA Staff
Active Poster

Email Personal Message (Offline)

Camp Perry after action
<< on: 16 August 2006, 21:08:45 >>

It has taken me a while to get this posted. I have been playing catch up since I got back home after The Perry adventure.

TR and I went to Camp Perry this year. I left home on the 2nd of August and met TR at his place. The next AM we were on the road at O dark 30. It took about 9 hours to get there from Wilkes County NC, and it was worth the effort. If you have never been to the National Matches I strongly encourage you to try and go. It's like ,"going to the mountain," for folks who like to shoot. That's what it was eat,sleep,shoot with little of the eat and sleep part.

We got up there around three on Thursday afternoon in plenty of time to get registered and a feel for the place. The next stop was the CMP store. Well what can I say to our suprise there in the rifle racks were some US 1917 Enfields .... you got it we both walked out with one tucked under our arms. I had no intention of buying another rifle but I would have hated myself forever if I had passed it up.

Later that evening we sat around the motel room cleaned the bores and gave them a good going over. The rifles had been used by VFW's and the like for cerimonial events; blanks had been fires in 'em and there was pitting in the barrels. TR's looked good enough so he decided to shoot his in the Vintage Rifle Match and did. What a guy!! He did pretty good too. What is we say at the RWVA, "take any rack grade rifle and engage targets at 500 yards," well TR can do it.

Friday we were up at 5:00 AM grabed a couple donuts and some coffe and were off for our first Camp Perry event. We were there before 6AM and were already way back in the line where we got our firing point assignments. We drew relays 4 & 5 so that put us in the pits first.

The pits were my big suprise I had though it would be sort of a druge; not so it was fun! Although we had know idea who was shooting at our traget we were there rooting for him hanging on every shot. If you have never worked the pits that is it gives you a good idea of why suppressive fire wil make you keep your head down. Man them bullets really crack.

Thoes folks at Perry really know how to run a shoot they put a thousand shooters through the morning match and another thousand in the afternoon match. TR and I thought we would get a break for lunch and a chance to get back to truck to pick up another rifle. NOT so we ended up going all day on almost nothing to eat, hardly had time to dig some cracker out of an MRE bag. TR not only shot his newly aquired 1917 in the AM he had to shoot my 1903 in the PM.

Four thirty and we were draging back to the truck and I mean read to eat. They make a pretty good pizza at the Pizza Hut and we had our share while planing the next day. We were scheduled for the PM M1 Garand Match which would have put us leaving Perry after 4...too late. There is a way to fix that but you gotta be there and be first in line for a standby slot. Saturday AM we were up at 4:30 and standing in line a little after 5 am and we got our slots.

Each one of the matches the Springfield, the Vintage, and the Garand were the same course of fire; 15 rounds prone slow fire with 5 sighters, 10 rounds rapid fire prone from standing 80 seconds bolt gun 70 seconds M1, and 10 rounds standing in 10 mminutes all at 200 yards. Everybody is a winner and gets a tee shirt then all shooters with a certain score get a bronze then silver then gold.  We got tee shirts but missed bronze by one or two points. Off hand is what kills me. I am going to spend this year developing that skill so next year..........

No kidding guys Camp Perry is something you gotta do. If you are thinkin',"I ain't good enough for Camp Perry you never be good enough for Camp Perry." Hang around good shooters and it will rub off and belive me most of the guys there weren't any better than we were and quite a few weren't as good. I have become inspired at what is possible.

You can do it!!!
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC
deer sniper
Occasional Poster

Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Camp Perry after action
<< Reply #1 on: 24 August 2006, 21:48:58 >>

So anyone can go to camp perry and compete? I thought you had to qaulify by competing in NRA matches. What other types of vintage rifles competed in that event? Any K-31's ?