News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reading material

Started by elevatorwife, April 25, 2012, 09:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elevatorwife

At the Waco, GA Appleseed event, Goose had suggested 3 books that would be excellent reads.  Unfortunately, I did not have my pen and paper handy. :slap:  Can anyone help me out?

ItsanSKS

Two off the top of my head would be:

Paul Revere's Ride, by David Hackett Fischer

Battle of April 19th, by Frank W. Coburn (available as a free download on google books)

There are many, many others, but those two should at least get you started.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

6MMBOB

This book was not one they talked about at appleseed but has a lot of good info.
American rifle,a biography.
It is basically the history of the American military rifle from before the revolutionary war on up to modern day.

Charles McKinley

American Rifle: a biography is a great read.  I have a loaner copy that MrHappy has right now.  If you have a Half-Price Books near you you can usually get it in hard back for $6.00.

Suggestions to Military Riflemen by Townsend Whelen is excellent also. Free on Google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=TphJAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Towsend+Whelen&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7O6ZT7adNvPK0AG52NmNDg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Towsend%20Whelen&f=false

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

elevatorwife

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll.  I'll be heading to the library now O0

goose

Finally, I get over here to answer the Question...

Paul Revere's Ride...David Hackett Fischer
Washington's Crossing...David Hackett Fischer
Legend of the Third Horseman...Charles Caes

(See y'all Thursday night!)  --goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

K98Al

Not in Rev War light, but "A Rifleman Went to War" is a fascinating read. Author McBride volunteered to go to war in Europe (WWI) - interesting observations on shooting, ballistics, but even more so in the mindset of that generation.
This is the book Hathcock and Land used to develop USMC sniper program in the 1960's.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

olefido

Not Revolutionary War but....

Jack Hinson's One Man War, A Civil War Sniper by Tom C. McKenney

....definitely a Dangerous Old Man!
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell