News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton news

Started by Revman, April 25, 2012, 01:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revman

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/local-news/5333-county-eyes-purchase-of-calverton-shooting-range-for-trap-a-skeet-facility-

The county legislature Tuesday approved initial
steps to seek acquisition of the Calverton
Shooting Range for the purpose of relocating the
county's trap and skeet range from Southaven Park in Yaphank.

With legislators Edward Romaine (R-Center
Moriches) and Jay Schneiderman (I-Montauk) voting
against the measure, the legislature voted 13-3
to approve the "planning steps" resolution
authorizing a survey, title search and appraisal
of the 104-acre parcel off Nugent Drive in Calverton.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country

dwarven1

And if the owner doesn't want to sell?
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Chainsaw

Is this good news or bad news?
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Dakota

I think this is bad news, hopefully it won't go through.

With the exception of some private ranges here on the island (which you have to wait for someone to die to get in) Calverton is the only place you can shoot in ANY position except sitting at a bench.
:wb:

Calverton has had a bad rap in the past, I've been going there for over 30 years, and yes it's the wild west sometimes, but if we lose it we're sunk.
NO GOOD can come from letting the County run it!

Harry the owner...... nobody knows what he's thinking......

"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

nyrasgt

Dakota et. al.,
  Josie Wales and I have had a number of conversations about another PUBLIC facility on Longuyland.  Some years back, when the NYS Scholastic Rifle Championship (appx. 30 teams still compete, in smallbore and/or air rifle) ran into a conflict with our usual venue, USMA West Point (3 separate ranges [rifle, pistol, and air] each with 24 firing points and ALL-ELECTRONIC SCORING-hands down finest indoor facility in the state), we held the state meet at the Nassau County Firing Range, next to the Nassau Coliseum.  They have, if memory serves,
5 or 6 bays, each with 5 or 6 points, as well as having 1 or more classrooms for instruction.  The problem JW ran into with them is that it is, in fact, a public facility, run by Nassau County, and the general cost figured per hour, is relatively prohibitive.  That said, it is, in fact,
another public facility, perhaps the only other one, on the island...and certainly worth approaching.   Might even suggest an arrangement to discount Appleseed costs for Nassau Co residents - or offer one for them
alone...or offer (just spitballing here) a CPR class as an exchange - or something...
  Worth a shot - can find more info under Nassau County Recreation Dept...facility not too far from my old working grounds, and where I'll be again 9 June for the Belmont Stakes...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

VietVet

Quote from: Dakota on April 25, 2012, 05:19:08 PM
Harry the owner...... nobody knows what he's thinking......

Harry doesn't even know what he's thinking! #)
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Dakota

I think our issue here is what constitutes "public" and "private"
Yes, there are Public ranges (meaning open to the public) but they are run by the county or townships, therefore they have rules that significantly hinder what we can do. You basically have to screw yourself down to a bench and shoot.
Now the "private" ranges have a lot more freedoms, but you have to be a member. We have reached out through some contacts to get a spot on their schedules but have not had much success.

What we need is a Privately OWNED, but open to the public range.
As far as I know Calverton is the only one around that doesn't require membership.

Quote from: nyrasgt on April 30, 2012, 01:02:32 AM
Dakota et. al.,
  Josie Wales and I have had a number of conversations about another PUBLIC facility on Longuyland.  Some years back, when the NYS Scholastic Rifle Championship (appx. 30 teams still compete, in smallbore and/or air rifle) ran into a conflict with our usual venue, USMA West Point (3 separate ranges [rifle, pistol, and air] each with 24 firing points and ALL-ELECTRONIC SCORING-hands down finest indoor facility in the state), we held the state meet at the Nassau County Firing Range, next to the Nassau Coliseum.  They have, if memory serves,
5 or 6 bays, each with 5 or 6 points, as well as having 1 or more classrooms for instruction.  The problem JW ran into with them is that it is, in fact, a public facility, run by Nassau County, and the general cost figured per hour, is relatively prohibitive.  That said, it is, in fact,
another public facility, perhaps the only other one, on the island...and certainly worth approaching.   Might even suggest an arrangement to discount Appleseed costs for Nassau Co residents - or offer one for them
alone...or offer (just spitballing here) a CPR class as an exchange - or something...
  Worth a shot - can find more info under Nassau County Recreation Dept...facility not too far from my old working grounds, and where I'll be again 9 June for the Belmont Stakes...
Excelsior,
madMark
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

CharlieHotel

Brookhaven town range would be the next best thing to calverton and head and shoulders above the nassau range ($20 an hour), However like the Nassau range position shooting is not an option.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

BobOfTheFuture

If Calverton is the Wild West, The Nassau range is The Gulag.

I shot there fairly regularly due to how close it was to my house... untill the hourly rate went north of $15. Its not worth going too, and Calverton needs as much support as it can get.