News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Let's quit insulting Mother Bathrick

Started by DieslPwrd, April 25, 2012, 12:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutti

Alrighty then. I have a lot to learn!

Perhaps this line before the statement would help to clarify:
"Legend has it that this spare man was enjoying his birthday on April 19th, 1775 when word came of the events upon the Common in Lexington. "

I did get my information from elsewhere, however after more research - I will change the reference. (http://templeman.name/getperson.php?personID=I85807786&tree=1)
Quote-Suzanna Wyman is the "Second wife" of Hezekiah Wyman (married 1776)
-Sara is the First wife, passing in late summer 1775, 6months after the engagement of Lexington.

"First you must drop the prism of 21st century life.....
Life in the 18th century was more matter of fact...."

I understand that (after becoming very curious) - you understand that - however the majority of people attending do not. If we create such a gap between "then" and "now" my opinion (still working on educating myself) is the majority of people will think of History as it is taught in many courses these days. "Remember the Dates and Names. Move on."

If I should recite the 15 lines in reference to DOMS @ an Appleseed to new individuals to history - will it excite them? Encourage them to look more into the Facts/Non-Facts/Debates? I don't know. If I can tie who I am into who they are and DOMs were (at least as one can in reference to passage of times, customs and mores) - won't they perhaps be more engaged?

I'm sure this is one of those discussions run through the wringer over and over. Most interesting things worth knowing are.

Thank you for giving me something to consider.

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

asminuteman

Bezon Mutti!...   (old shawnee for hello)

Naw! your aces.....
you need to know the names and dates!
BUT you must tell the story........and that's all!
you don't need glassy eyed ...becoming fat shooters (as they consume their vittles)
TO many "Hardcore details" and you'll lose your audience......they will tune you out!

The story, ....the choice's... the actions....the hardship.......the WHY.....
I want to see folks reach for their sunglasses to cover up the tears!
I'll go so far as to shame the current generation......for it's attitude

the rise and fall of your voice........most effective...pause!....let them absorb and reflect on the material.
this also lets you, catch your breath, "wet your whistle"....THINK and continue

You are wonderful!... I am honored that you would care enough to look, learn.....
Stick to the story......and you will find you can speed up and slow down as needed....you know those pesky shootboss's.....always pressing you for time
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Ratchett on April 25, 2012, 02:16:11 PM
It is also acceptable to say that our source PRR states this story of Mother B...  The history can all be told as how Hackett-Fischer researched.

As with all events there is perspectives A- B- C- and probably a D and then there is the truth of what really happened which never gets accurately portrayed due to perspectives. Each reporter/researcher offers their own opinion of the facts....

Don't try to 21st century our founding generation---those men and women were a bred of their own, an injustice to see them any other way. They may have been poor in $$ and by England' s standards but they were wealthy in fortitude and in Spirit, a misjudgement of the British crown! (A sentence I managed to leave off--something I am good at doing.)

Just my .02

In His grip,
ratchett

^5 exactly my thoughts , rich in spirit and comfortable in her person .
I will have this 10 seconds added to MB .
Thanx
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Marpat Pippi

Aw shucks Ken, its an honor to have my name listed there with all those folks. Too bad Hillsdale didn't pan out, but us Marpats had an awsome time in San Luis Obispo. Looking forward to Corona 210 2012 and more great stories! Mr. Pete really got me when he held up a drumstick and emphasized how young teenage MEN were going to battle with "this" (the drumstick).

I think we are all agreement. It is good to be factual, add a catchy disclaimer if necessary, and then tell the story with spirit. A spirit filled story will get someone interested in the facts, and hopefully off the couch. It will inspire them to learn and ACT.
Quote from: asminuteman on April 26, 2012, 09:54:11 PM
By the way,

for the Best Mother Bathrick,
listen to Savageshooter

For the best Marriage that Never Was
listen to Marrpat Pippi

Best David Lamson
Mrpete

don't get me started on ALL Determended Dames
22calgal

ItsanSKS, Bob210.....and V (british accent)

hours reading and compearing notes with LLP

I have been blessed to hear the stories by these folks!

heck CSHR even looks like Capt Samuel Whittmore

American Amazon

This is an old topic, but what the heck:

According to my research, Ruth Hook Batherick was 58 at the time of our April Morning, and died 20 years later, aged 78, in the Cambridge poorhouse.

-American Amazon.
"We are no ways dispirited here, we possess a spirit that will not be conquered. If our men are all drawn off and we should be attacked, you would find a race of Amazons in America." -Abigail Adams (letter to husband John dated 9/20/1776)

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

Transform

Since this thread has been bumped, I'm taking it as an invitation to comment:  Yes indeed, let us ALL please quit insulting both Mother Bathrick and all of the other DD's! I consider it a grave insult to these brave women that we so often focus on the DOM to the exclusion of the DD, that some COIs treat the DD stories as "optional" or extra!

Quote from: DieslPwrd on April 25, 2012, 12:19:47 AM
This is written with all due respect to the Instructors, almost always women, who've told the Mother Bathrick story at countless shoots.

My point is, why don't we (females who are telling most DD stories)

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard Mother Bathrick painted as "so destitute she could do nothing else but pick dandelions," however what stands out for me about this thread is the idea that these Dangerous and Determined Dames' stories would only be told by female instructors. If it used to be that way, then I'm grateful to acknowledge that this has changed for the better, at least in my neck of the woods.

Just as our female instructors tell the stories of both DOM and DD, so would I expect (yes expect!) all of our male instructors to learn, and to tell, the stories of both DD and DOM! Our Heritage includes the history of all kinds of people, are the women's and children's stories somehow less important than the men's stories?

No, they are not.

On another note:
Quote from: DieslPwrd on April 25, 2012, 01:20:04 PM
some accounts vary, but there is no contesting the fact that through their indomitable spirit and brave actions, a comparatively rag-tag population overcame the world's best military force.

What an outstanding descriptive sentence! Consider these words stolen for use!

asminuteman

I personally have heard all the stories, both male/female, done by both male/female.
I'v'e never heard of "only" a female can do "x".....and visa versa.....news to me, However with that said, I also never gleened that concept from this thread.

I do know that here,..(My AO/800NM) "We" do first person presentations......and for that, a Large, Hairy, Musle bound, Deep, Low tone Voice, From Us studly, twilight heart throb look alike, testosrone filled "red blooded" all american male....
aka us Normal guy types....well, just how do you look in a petticoat?.... &) **)
For this seinaro, Females have an edge, over the men,...don'tca think?

I've too have never heard of Mother Bathrick being desitute,  poor yes.

And far as giving those "patriots in peticoats" their just due......we mix in their stories, either at lunchtime or through out the day, with founders quotes, sometimes for the instructors/IIT's to do, yet also flash cards for the younger females in attendance, make them feel special and take part! (boys also have their chances)....Library seeds we play dress-up, and act out "Captains of the Revolution" & "Daughters of the Revolution"....(be still I'm SAR and my children are DAR) no worries

well my shillings
your most humble and obedent servant
Pvt Doyle
11th Virginia Regiment (Morgans)

Happy Birthday General Washington

Ratchett

Framing Mother Bathrick as being out looking for something to eat does not make her poor. Remember these folks have not had any "fresh greens" since fall and fall greens are more bitter than the first of spring. The greens would have actually been a treat this time of year, something highly waited.

Again do not 21st century the founding generation. Poor in 1775 was not the same as poor 2013. (We was poor but never knew acause all of us was in the same condition.)

My .02
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Transform

Quote from: asminuteman on February 13, 2013, 10:02:57 PM
aka us Normal guy types....well, just how do you look in a petticoat?....

Well, it's true that I'm rather large, extremely hairy, and sort of homely looking. However, the one time I
wore a kilt to a formal event, several women there commented that i have exceptionally shapely legs.

All I know is that I'll keep on telling the stories of the Dangerous Dames until I've been Declared Dead.
To my mind, little Betty Zane was one of the bravest among all of our American Revolutionary heroes.

asminuteman

If I may, a quote from Paul Revere's Ride pg 244, paragraph 2

"...They came upon an old woman named Mother Batherick, so impoverished that she was digging a few weeds from a vacant field for something green to eat."

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=pratt&book=ahs2&story=women

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/sept98/liberty.html      (PLUS MANY OTHERS)

http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2010/06/old-woman-called-mother-barberick.html

3 "quickie's"....not much effort at all

asminuteman

And for the Talley Books......

Any Man who can pull off  wearing a Kilt, and make the garment look "Good"  :bow:

However, do NOT flash the queen....bad juju  >:D

The Old Guide

Nice sentiment Ratchett. My wife, North Country Lady does "The Women of 1775" at shoots where there are women and we are not pressed for time. This is Women's History Momnth and we'll do a libraryseed next week here in Maine.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13