News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eastern PA Monthly Rifleman Shoot at Langhorne Rod and Gun

Started by 1shot, June 17, 2007, 07:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1shot

Topic: Eastern PA Monthly Rifleman Shoot at Langhorne Rod and Gun
N3VOW
RWVA Staff
Master Poster

Eastern PA Monthly Rifleman Shoot at Langhorne Rod and Gun
<< on: 05 August 2006, 17:18:40 >>

Well, it's August 5, the heat wave (109 Heat Index) has finally broken, and Eastern PA above Phila was 91 and breezy under the cover.

2 Men returned. having found us via RWVA (Rob and Jon), one newby from The High Road, Chett, with a virgin M1A, and my brother Mike joined us with a scoped Howa.

Chett has great skills, and came along right quick. Little confusion with the NM rear sights, and his front sight is a 'refit' and seems a tad high. Plus, his third round from a mag seems to hang up the bolt regularly.

The two with the AR's ran fine, and all had a blast. Rob and Jon now really appreciate a proper sling, and watched their groups come tight after judicious application of the sling.

In fact, these boys had practiced at home, and got their sticks "zeroe'd" on sandbags from a bench. They couldn't believe how far off those "bench zero's" were from the prone zero.

COF was a Classification AQT, several rounds at prone "slow", working on groups and technique. A two round plus 8 rounds for standing, and then 3 rounds plus 7 kneeling/sitting + immediate return to prone for 10 rounds "rapid".

As a wrap up, Jon shot his .30-06, Rob worked his CCW piece, and Mike and adjusted zero's on a pair of 1911's.

A fine time for all in celebration of our Minutemen Forefathers!

September's monthly will be suspended in favor of the 9-10 Grand Tour stop at Wicen's, Doylestown-New Hope area.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces, each and every time!

De N3VOW

<< Last Edit: 06 August 2006, 17:04:10 by N3VOW >>    Logged
3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 hours without shelter (from extreme exposure)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
fred
FRED (nobody is like Fred)
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Eastern PA Monthly Rifleman Shoot at Langhorne Rod and Gun
<< Reply #1 on: 06 August 2006, 14:44:06 >>

Barry: Looks like all the "men" stayed home in the air conditioning... Sad

Yet you were out there in the heat, plugging away. Hats off!  Cool

At least, someone knows the meaning of persistence (and other things, as well).

If only one person shows up, you never know - that may be the person who winds up saving America - and he found out about it (the need to save America) by coming to your shoot!

That'd be a great outcome, worth the time and trouble.

Hats off to you, partner!
New RWVA bumpersticker: "Ornell Fuggett Lives!
RWVA.org"

New RWVA Instructor shirt: "The beatings will continue until the marksmanship improves!"

TEXAS! #2 on the Appleseed Hit Parade!
N3VOW
RWVA Staff
Master Poster

Email Personal Message (Offline)

<< Reply #2 on: 26 August 2006, 17:05:14 >>

Stage 2: Today 'The Rally Point" bbs held their second 'meet' at my home club, a contact made via Cabinboy and Appleseed.

With the 'interest' from the first, I was invited to come and do a 'second' mini (4 hour) program.

Due to a "commo" error (the organizer asked me to post a POI, but never checked my post before "opening" "my" range to 'free shooting') I had to contend with 10 other rifle shooters on the line.

Because many of these guys _appear_ to come from a _combat pistol/carbine_ background (AR15.com, etc) I had posted a "smallbore" and "centerfire" COF, one at 100 yards, the other reduced to 200, including targets scaled to represent 500 and 600 yards.

Five (5) shooter came to the line, picked up "Fred's Guide" (1 already had one) and gleefully apporached the line.

Then they saw just how small (ie invisible) 500 and 600 silhouette are without optics at a 200 yard measured distance.

Error 1: Wayne Borngesser, my right and left arms, from this board, and I went down range to post the targets (to 200 yards). I come back to find a tota of 6 sporting arms on the line that weren't there before.

A RallyPointer, Jay, came and took ARO duties for the balance of the line.

One repeat shooter, four newbies....without confrimed zero's. One guy brought a pair of FALS, one with a "new scope" on a receiver cover mount, whcih he couldn't bore sight due to flash hider issues. Total of 60 rounds through the mechanism to that point.

Well, they mostly chose to start stading, so I went with it. One man with a .50BMG, a pair of AR-15's (20 and 16) an M1A and a boltie, benched his M1A (good choice) and began to hit the silho. (PS: He came the farthest, like 4 hours)

A garand shooter was set. The returning M1A shooter was set (nice group at 100, too.) A new AR-15 guy was tight. the FAL guy...hits on paper. Then he asks me to help him get hits, having practiced with a .22LR on 25 meter in the past (on his own, God bless him)

Sorry, field expedient. Pulled the scope, replaced a cover, Wayne did some lube magic, and I lay down prone at 50 and pop off a group. Two adjustments, and I have _the owner_ on paper. This guy was fantastic in attitude. Like many of us, a little less athletic that one would hope, but he took direction, and before long he is hitting in prone and sitting.

No one can see the 400 (at 200) 500 or 600 silhouette's without glass. The backer paper (8.5x11) was visible, but not the silho outline.

They got the "soft war", they got the guide, they got the invite to the Grand Tour stop next month, and more flyers to pass out.

They got the basics of the six steps, trigger control, a discussion ont he sling and a demo and one stage at each position.

They seemed ot have fun, in spite of the rain soaked firing point and targer berm. I expect to see them more in the future, and consider these five Appleseed's planted...

Enjoy the _Boot Camp_. Sorry I can't/won't attend. As the heat is breaking, I am getting a little more "wind" in prep for September 9-10 in PA.

Barry
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
fred
FRED (nobody is like Fred)
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

<< Reply #3 on: 27 August 2006, 07:33:46 >>

Nice report, Barry. But not understanding why 500/600 simulated targets cannot be seen without glass... Is there something here I am missing. (The standard 400-simulated on the AQT has the actual appearance of a full-size target at 500 yards, so visibility should not be much of an issue.

Keep plugging away at building your program. While it's hard to believe the response is so slow in PA, it's actually slow here in NC, too. Too few guys with the backbone and energy to show up and take the Challenge... Sorry rascals, for sure, and up to us to wake 'em up...And don't expect any gratitude for doing a good deed...

And did you really have a .50 BMG on the line?
New RWVA bumpersticker: "Ornell Fuggett Lives!
RWVA.org"

New RWVA Instructor shirt: "The beatings will continue until the marksmanship improves!"

TEXAS! #2 on the Appleseed Hit Parade!
N3VOW
RWVA Staff
Master Poster

Email Personal Message (Offline)

<< Reply #4 on: 27 August 2006, 11:31:05 >>

Thanks Fred.

Perhaps because I had the 500 and 600 scaled aqt printed on an 8.5x11 , and contrast wasn't so good in the shade at 200 yards measured.

Yup, the guy brought the .50BMG, though he shot it more as a precision firearm than a Battle Rifle..after the Appleseed COI. He has it set up as a single shot bolt (bolt acts as the carrier) and it is a heavy custom shop job with a large muzzle break.

Says it is less than the recoil of a 12Ga.

VERY accurate at 200, though.

Have a great camp.

Wishin' I were there.

Barry
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
Pages: [1]   Go Up    
     Mark unread  |  Print    
RWVA Forum > Activity Announcements and Reports > Range and After Action Reports > Topic: Eastern PA Monthly Rifleman Shoot at Langhorne Rod and Gun
   << previous next >>

Jump to: