News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Drinking from the firehose

Started by Miller, April 23, 2012, 12:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

Whew.....
I'm just home from my first Appleseed as an Orange Hat.
We describe the instruction to the shooters as drinking from the firehouse.
Well, it doesn't change when you take a hat.
I got some great experiences and even a few I wasn't sure I was ready for.  But presented with the challenge I took it and did my level best. 
Thank's to Alex for keeping me on the edge of my comfort level.  Just like being a shooter on the line when an IIT starts to get comfortable with a task it's time for a new one.

Many thanks to Don and Karen for the hospitality.  It's a little slice of paradise you've carved out for yourselves there and I can't thank you enough for sharing it.

Thanks to Rich, Rodger and Jeremy for the support and comradeship.

And thanks to all the shooters.  For a first time out with mmy shiny new orange hat I couldn't have asked for a better group.

Now, a shower and bed.  Then it's back to the manual, Fisher, and on to Dubuque!
Fearful but resolute.

Cooper

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Kosciusko

Thank you for taking the orange hat.    Come on up and raid Minnesota sometime.

That's the fiercest Schnauzer I've seen in a long time, what did you do to tee him off?

Miller

Not one of my schnauzers, it just happens to be the best pic I found on the web.

As for annoying one to that level....
Easy.
Take away the squirrel they just caught, hold a squeeky toy just out of reach, be a pico second late with dinner, not be scritching...

The trick with schnauzers is the same as with Hessian mercenaries...
You try to contain them with a minimum of battle and always watch your flanks.
Fearful but resolute.

Kosciusko

Quote from: Miller on April 23, 2012, 02:55:17 PM
Not one of my schnauzers, it just happens to be the best pic I found on the web.

As for annoying one to that level....
Easy.
Take away the squirrel they just caught, hold a squeeky toy just out of reach, be a pico second late with dinner, not be scritching...

The trick with schnauzers is the same as with Hessian mercenaries...
You try to contain them with a minimum of battle and always watch your flanks.

ahh, yes, Schnauzers and their hostility towards  all things rodent.  Real hard on the gerbil/hamster population.  We had 4 miniatures over a span of 20+ years.   Cleverest dogs I've ever seen.  Too brave for their size, but  great companions.   One of ours took on  pair of German Shepherds, came off second best, then went back for more.   He lived thru it, but he hated them ever after.   And those ears, nobody got within a block of the front door that they didn't hear, virtually impossible to sneak up on them.  They could distinguish friend/foe/stranger by the different walking patterns.    Didn't even have to see them. 

Miller

I've got a pair of 'em.
Otto has picked fights with German Shepards, Standard Poodles, a rottweiler, a greyhound, and a great dane.
Had words with a bernese as well....

So far quick action has prevented real contact.

And you don't just fight one...
While Otto yaps Indy circles around looking for a hamstring.

That's why I don't let them watch nature shows any more.
Fearful but resolute.

Kosciusko

put Jurassic Park on the ban list

think  "raptors with fur"

Alex

That has to be the most hilarious thing I have ever read on this forum!

Whew...

Now that I have caught my breath, Ben you did great this weekend. You did so well that if you like it or not you should be well on your way to a cursed Green Hat by the end of this year. If you thought that I was pushing you, you will really enjoy Cooper.  ;D I really enjoy Cooper. That probably has to do with the fact that I have never had to work one of her shoots. She is great so pay more attention to her then you did me so you can actually learn something. Have a great shoot. I know we will in Winterset.

Alex
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Miller

Much thanks Alex...
As for a green hat...whew...
One step at a time.
Let me get a red one first.
Of course until I almost had my Rifleman patch I said that was my only goal so who knows....
As for learning under Cooper....
I did okay as a shooter on her line...
:fingers crossed:
Fearful but resolute.

fnarShooter

As one of the shooters this past weekend, Miller, you did a good job!
Rifleman 4/17/2011

Miller

Thanks!

I feel no shame in admitting that being a new Orange Hat stepping on the line felt a lot like being a new shooter proning out for my first red coat...

This time my confidence had a little more to back it up though. ;)
Fearful but resolute.