News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wicens shooting range

Started by SSG Platz, April 09, 2012, 01:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSG Platz

Hay guys I was wondering if there was anyone that had tried to talk to the guys at Wicens farm here in Bucks Co. about using their range to host an Appleseed, I plan to go there in a few weeks to speak with them and see if they would be interested in doing so, but if someone has already spoken with them I will not waste my time.

I am trying to get an Appleseed friendly range started in bucks county, because I live here, and although I don't mind the 45 min- hour and a half drives to Autobon and Elverson I think if we were able to get something going here in bucks county it would open up new opportunities.

Also if anyone who has experience in this area has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked though the thread on here about how to get an Appleseed started at your range and it had a lot of helpful advice and cool stuff to print out and give to the folks.

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Chainsaw

To my knowledge, no.

...actually, I just googled Wicans and I see why no has bothered.  $15/day range fee...

For profit ranges are an even tougher nut to crack than the usual.

PM your # and we can talk about a plan.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

SSG Platz

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

SSG Platz

Let me know that you got it, because I've sent a couple of PM's and still have not hurd from you

crak

I worked an Appleseed at Wicens in 2006 or 2007.

It was tough on the shooters who had to set up shop in the gravel trench.

We had to break the target up for each position to keep shots at 25 from hitting the berm at maybe 100-200

We had to keep muzzles below a rubber baffle at all times.

We had to cease fire and/or wait for cease fire with the whole public line.

And last but not least the "gentleman" from the Wicens staff assigned to RSO us gave us a friendly warning that he'd be behind us the whole time ready to unload his roscoe on anyone brave enough to violate a safety rule.  He also interrupted the instruction repeatedly to tell us stories about how cool he was and how well he could shoot.

Many of these things are necessary for safety at this particular range layout and business environment, so this is not a complaint.  They just make for a tougher than normal Appleseed to run.  It's a nice place but it might be a better use of time to restart Appleseed at Langhorne instead.

I would pay money to go back to the old forum and read the IAAR for that shoot.  IITs didn't have acces to them back then.
Check your drama at the door.

SSG Platz

Thanks for the info, Im trying to get something going here in bucks county, but I'm not a member of any of the rod and gun clubs. One of the guys at my VFW is a member at Langhorn, so I might be able to get him to bring it up there. Seeing how they have done them in the past there it makes me feel a little better about asking them, but the report you give is disheartening, makes me think twice about asking them. I would like to hear from other people and their expereances with the place.

crak

I don't think there is any animosity at Langhorne.  Barry (DocT) was the president or something of the club at the time and probably the first red hat in the northeast.  He had health issues and a difficult time drumming up interest with little local help compared to how easy it was to get people to show up to action shoots.  They might be happy to have someone restart it.

SSG Platz

Is there a person I can contact about getting one started there again. I'm not a member of any of the rod and gun clubs but would like to get something going in lower bucks county, or anywhere in bucks county would be nice, seems like there is a big hole down here and I would like to do anything I can to try to fill it.

crak

There's a number and email on this page:

http://www.langhornerodandgunclub.com/calendar.htm

They still have appleseed listed on their activities page.

SSG Platz

Thanks for the info, I plan to call them next week.