News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Racine WI - March 31-1

Started by Trig, April 02, 2012, 10:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trig

What a glorious weekend shared with 17 of the finest (and most diverse!) Americans that this country has to offer!  A great turnout for a weekend that barely broke 40 degrees by Sunday afternoon with plenty of wind (hey, at least we stayed dry!).  It was wonderful to see people of all ages in attendance and interested in our heritage!  We had at least 7 shooters that had not fired a rifle before Saturday morning, and by the end of the weekend ALL were well on their way to becoming rifleman!  Keep building on the foundation that we started this weekend, and before you know it, each of you will be able to master this skill set.   We ripped through quite a few AQT's and were able to churn out 2 new RIFLEMAN, with several more knocking on the door (and 2 re-qualifiers)!  Congratulations to Wisconsin's newest Riflemen, Chris (222) and Kyle (219), I look forward to seeing you on the line again  :---

Thank you to Racine County Line Rifle Club for the use of their Range, and to all of the instructors for taking time out of your weekend to share our countries heritage (and coffee/doughnuts!), helping our country one citizen at time,  but most of all thank you to all of the shooters who came out in the cold to better themselves, and our country!

I hope to see you all in July!  :cool2:

Pictures to be added soon.
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

dragonfly

Congratulations to the new Rifleman. Thanks to all that shared their weekend with Appleseed.

D-fly  Keeping the Faith 
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

colycat

Did anyone mention COLD.  Both of our Rifleman should have been offered the Winterseed patch!

Still over all it was a  typical Appleseed weekend, filled with the best America has to offer and how can that be anything other than a great weekend.

We forgot to take pictures  :slap:, so this is all I have.  I even forgot to get a picture of Chris getting his Rifleman badge.

Thank you to all who came out to celebrate an American tradition and special thanks to all the repeat students.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

LDB

This was my first appleseed and I was thrilled beyond belief.

I'm one of the people who had never shot a rifle and to boot, I'd never so much as touched one before other than to dust it or move it from one spot to another. I actually registered to be in a position to humanely destroy European starlings and English House sparrows as well as any chickens we have that aren't long for this world due to injuries sustained by hawks.

I am legally deaf. The handouts were BEYOND helpful to me. As were the live demos in "circle". I did have some issues "hearing" when the history of the shot heard 'round the world was told however here it is readily accessible online, http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=1.

There is something I'd like to try addressing if possible before I go to the next appleseed. I would like help "hearing" the command to cease fire. I'm afraid the "assistant" I brought with enjoyed himself so much last weekend that he wants to be relieved of assistant duty. Our son intends to register again for himself not to "assist" me. In retrospect, I feel he repeatedly told me my lips were blue and to go to the car to warm up so he could have more fun. And to think this was the very same teenager who originally balked at attending. Reality is I protect what little hearing I have left by using plugs and muffs which renders me devoid of virtually all hearing. This is not a problem in FTF where if I can "see" someone, I can "hear" them however instructors calling out cease fire are behind the line for obvious reasons. My mat was in a great location where I could get a visual path to the instructor's face behind me with shooters to the right of me providing additional cues for load and fire. Because of this, there were no issues other than a delay between when I loaded and when other shooters loaded as well as a delay between when I started shooting and when they started shooting. Cease fire was somewhat trickier as once I began shooting, I was faced toward the targets.  There was no longer a line of vision to the person calling out commands behind me. I watched out of the corner of my right eye to see when other shooters began putting down their rifles and... never missed a beat putting mine down in a timely fashion. I didn't mind lagging behind the others when loading or shooting. It did not detract from my experience although once I started getting the hang of what I was doing, I will admit that I was selfishly "itching" to focus more on sighting and breathing when shooting than cues from others relating to cease fire. Several times I put down my rifle only to learn that the cease fire command had not been called and that another shooter had put down their rifle only because they had finished shooting. Now that I realize I can be taught to use a firearm, it would be absolutely wonderful (albeit not something that would stop me from registering for another appleseed) if I could shoot right up until the cease fire command is called. Perhaps a tap on my head denoting cease fire from someone behind me would enable me to shoot right up until cease fire is called?

A sweetie pie instructor with a bushy beard and mustache helped me figure out part of the reason why I was shooting high and to the right and another sweetie pie instructor loaned me his 22 and helped me piece in more of my problems based on a ball and dummy exercise. Others also freely shared helpful suggestions based on their knowledge and expertise. All said and done, I would rate this event an A+ because of the caliber of every instructor. I may never make rifleman but... who cares... I can hit the paper at 25 yards so I'm pleased as all get out!

A big heartfelt thanks to EACH and EVERY instructor who gave up an entire weekend away from their families to be with us. Additional thanks to the instructor who spent his own money on gas driving down from 3 hours up north and to triggernick whose wife spent her own money buying gallons of hot coffee. Everyone's generosity with their time and talent was very much appreciated. My husband is also most appreciative. He is beyond impressed with the targets I brought home and feels relatively confident I would easily be able to humanely destroy a chicken. Next time I have a chicken that needs to be put out of its misery; it will not have to suffer until he comes home! Each one of you should take a bow for providing me with a very much needed practical skill.

Trig

We would have no problem accomodating you with the cease fire "tap" on the shoulder, all ya need to do is ask!  I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend, and we look forward to seeing you and your son again (may as well bring the husband too, eh?)!  It was great to see you and Nick improve as much as you did, keep working at it!  Remeber a rifleman persists!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

colycat

Laura,

I knew you were hard of hearing, but was too dense to realize you could not hear cease fire.  Once I had a student with a coculer (sp?) ear implant.  At the first cease fire, she just kept banging away because she un plugged the implant.  We just stationed an instructor to do what Nick said, a tap on the shoulder.

As for making Rifleman,  you have shown that you have the heart of a Rifleman and that is what Appleseed is all about.

And thank you for the kind words about the program and the instructors. :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

LDB

triggernick- "all ya need to do is ask!", hindsight is always 20/20.

My husband WILL be registering in the future. We assumed this was a "learn-the-basics" event so we registered me and Nick instead of me and him and besides which, someone needed to stay home to deal with puppy housebreaking.  What is appealing to my husband is that I described an event where all levels of shooters were present from those like me who had never even loaded a rifle before to those like him who were so-so all the way up up up  to shooters like you. My take was that everyone, regardless of where they were with shooting, took home something meaningful as a result of participating so he will be registering. Most likely by himself. Someone does need to stay home with my dog.

colycat- Truth is I registered to scope out whether I'd be able to fit in or not without endangering anyone or ruining someone else's experience. A part of me assumed I'd have to leave yet a part of me hoped I'd be able to stay. I never dreamed there would be so much coverage. There were so many volunteers on hand I was able to stay and come back the next day.

A cochlear implant doesn't "cure" deafness... it just gives us the perception of sound so we know to redirect our attention to where the sound might be coming from so we can fill in the gaps. She probably turned hers off so that when the shooters started shooting she wouldn't shoot straight up in the air bombarded by rapid perceptions of sound coming at her from all directions.  Even if they're on, there would be no way to "hear" commands but you would know there was a command of some sort. Does this make sense?

Here is something that will put a smile on your face given I believe it may have been you who handed us the flyers- my son mentioned attending at his chess club. Many of these kids in the chess club are also history buffs so the story of the "shot heard 'round the world" came up. He is attempting to coordinate registering with two of his classmates who expressed an interest in going. I know these kids. One will back out however the other one will most likely register.  Odds are you will find our son registered in July along with a friend and either me or my husband.  And, a friend of mine is coordinating dates with her 17 year old son and me so the two of us can register together.

Trig

We appreciate you eagerness to return, and helping us to reach more people by telling others about your experience.  8)
We will make sure to add "tap" commands to calling the line for you next time you are there!  ;D
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11

LDB

A tap or two would be great. Thank you.

Question please. For the event scheduled at Racine the beginning of July, would someone be in a position to tell me if many of the same instructors would be there?

Same question for the Racine event scheduled the end of July please.

Phoenix Man aka Clint

It was a great time and I'm happy to say I was one of the requalifiers!  Always make some new friends at these things.  For you flatlanders (including me) in addition to Racine, we have three shoots scheduled in Bristol this summer.  Bristol is even closer to illinois.  Northern Illinois just does not have the available venues, but we have great options in Southern Wisconsin. 

dogbreath

Thank you all the instructors at this event!!  You guys were awesome!!

This is my second appleseed.  This was the first time my better half Tari had fired ANY weapon....thanks you you guys....she is now hooked on shooting!!

Nick you did a great job as shoot boss.

Coly....I really like your speech at the end.....the whole team was fabulous.

Daughter will be coming to shoot too....not sure if it will be racine...prob around dekalb illinois.

I have a another friend coming for you too....first timer to appleseed and new potential rifleman.....I hope the team their is as awesome as you guys!

I am so touched to see such devoted patriotism!!  It brings hope!

Take care all....hopefully will see you again somewhere in the future!

It's better to die standing...than live on your knees!

dogbreath

Quote from: triggernick on April 04, 2012, 11:42:36 AM

A sweetie pie instructor with a bushy beard and mustache helped me figure out part of the reason why I was shooting high and to the right and another sweetie pie instructor loaned me his 22 and helped me piece in more of my problems based on a ball and dummy exercise. Others also freely shared helpful suggestions based on their knowledge and expertise. All said and done, I would rate this event an A+ because of the caliber of every instructor. I may never make rifleman but... who cares... I can hit the paper at 25 yards so I'm pleased as all get out!

Thank you sweetie pie Rick....you also helped Tari....at one point she was frustrated....but you saved the day!!  you are awesome!!

Smexy Mama

My first Appleseed this past weekend left me VERY sunburn, wind burn and frozen, and hooked on shooting.  This was the first time I ever shot more than a squirt gun, and I impressed myself. 

No more damsel in distress here, move over and let me have a shot!!

I will be back again, and again,......and again.

Thanks for all your patience and help.

dogbreath

wolfie...thxs a bunch for the coffee...that was very thoughtful of you.  Pleasure meeting you and Nick.

2 clicks low

Quote from: LDB on April 05, 2012, 02:55:10 PM

Question please. For the event scheduled at Racine the beginning of July, would someone be in a position to tell me if many of the same instructors would be there?

We don't usually have the instructors signed up this far in advance. Sometimes, but the schedule usually firms up 2-3 weeks out.

Rest assured, all out instructors are cut from the same cloth. We are volenteers and do this because we love it.

Also as you go to different shoots you will find you learn different things from different instructors. All are well grounded in the basics but have different perspectives. Just as they all thell the same history, each teller has his own story, each instructor has his own POI.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Trig

Quote from: LDB on April 05, 2012, 02:55:10 PM

I will be at both  8)   (barring anything horrible  :-X )
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11

Trig

Quote from: dogbreath on April 05, 2012, 05:19:59 PM
wolfie...thxs a bunch for the coffee...that was very thoughtful of you.  Pleasure meeting you and Nick.

It was nice to meet you and the misses as well!  glad she jumped on board and had a great time!
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11

LDB

My husband ordered the automatic bolt release sold at this website, https://www.volquartsen.com/products/158-automatic-bolt-release as well as the Model TSR200 sold at this website, http://www.tech-sights.com/. Both were recommended along with getting rid of the after market clips I had and replacing them with ruger clips. Is there anything I am forgetting that I was told to pick up before the next event?

Does some sort of a competition BB gun count as a rifle for these events? I think the BB gun we have has laser sights on it and it is about the same size as the 22 I brought last weekend. When I first opened the box of bullets to that 22, I couldn't help but notice how big they were. The 22 LR is somewhat overkill for a starling or house sparrow. I'd like to learn how to use a BB gun at the next event if that is possible.

2 clicks low-  "We are volenteers and do this because we love it." Everyone at Racine was "good" people. I have no doubt the instructors we had were representative of all instructors across the board.

triggernich- thank you for letting me know.

dogbreath- the username you selected makes me giggle. It is so inconsistent with the person I met. Now the avatar you chose, that "fits".

LDB

Four of us are now registered and confirmed for a May 5th and 6th appleseed event. Two of us are registered and confirmed for an April 28th and 29th event. About 6, perhaps as many as 9, of us will be registering in July at Racine yet we haven't decided on which date as of yet.

We ordered more automatic bolt releases and TSR300 sights for the other 22s and I believe we purchased 10 ruger clips.

We would prefer not to have to purchase another M1 or Ruger 22 LR so it would be wonderful if someone would be in a position to tell me whether or not I can shoot with a competition BB gun on May 5th and 6th.

colycat

Quote from: LDB on April 09, 2012, 11:13:46 PM
We would prefer not to have to purchase another M1 or Ruger 22 LR so it would be wonderful if someone would be in a position to tell me whether or not I can shoot with a competition BB gun on May 5th and 6th.

Don't worry about another rifle.  When we get close to the event PM me or Nick and we will make sure you have a rifle to use. I think between the 2 of us, we have 6 or 7 loaners.

As to the BB gun,  think of it as being a very small musket,  ??? scaled to 25 meters, so the effective range is at most 200 yrds.  That would be the second row down on our targets.

Thanks for all the seventh stepping and getting more people off their couch!!

Janir

I'd be happy to loan you a Ruger 10/22 with scope or no scope and I'm sure Trigger nick will as well.
"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"Our forefathers gave us a better way to refresh the Tree of Liberty. If we give our blood and sweat now,  willingly, by using the political and social processes they secured for us with their lives, maybe our own Posterity will never have to unwillingly spill their blood and tears to re-secure their Liberty. " - Janir

dogbreath

Quote from: LDB on April 07, 2012, 10:59:09 PM

dogbreath- the username you selected makes me giggle. It is so inconsistent with the person I met. Now the avatar you chose, that "fits".

hehehe.....glad I was able to make you giggle  ;D
Glad you like the avatar ;)
In liberty....Gary

dogbreath

Quote from: colycat on April 10, 2012, 09:49:07 AM
Quote from: LDB on April 09, 2012, 11:13:46 PM

Don't worry about another rifle.  When we get close to the event PM me or Nick and we will make sure you have a rifle to use. I think between the 2 of us, we have 6 or 7 loaners.

As to the BB gun,  think of it as being a very small musket,  ??? scaled to 25 meters, so the effective range is at most 200 yrds.  That would be the second row down on our targets.

Thanks for all the seventh stepping and getting more people off their couch!!

Sweet!....you guys are awesome!!.....Tari might be bringing ALL the girls....i.e. There will be 4 of them....we only have 1 10/22 ;)

LDB

Janir is going to bring a loaner for one of our boys attending a May event so all four of us will have a 22 to shoot with. Thank you Janir!!!

I would still like to know if bringing a BB gun is acceptable. There are times when our property looks like the stage for a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's horror flick 'The Birds'. Their feces carry pathogens that can make people really sick which concerns me. The effective range I would need for starlings would be about 25-50'. Whenever we seed our lawn, they descend by the thousands and I am not exaggerating. The effective range I would need for house sparrows would be about 15-25'. They come to our bird feeder about 10 at a time and stay until they empty it. My husband can destroy them with that BB gun by laying on our kitchen counter and shooting out the kitchen window. If he can do it, I should be able to do it crouched in the sink.

I will most likely be registering for the Racine event with girlfriends the end of July. One registered and paid for the weekend where I met all of you and ended up being called into work which was unfortunate. We have enough 22s for all three of us without needing a loaner. The two people attending in April will be using our 22s so there is no need for a loaner that weekend either.

The first weekend in July may prove more challenging. So far there are 6 expressing an interest in attending that event and none of them have 22s. I will be gone that weekend and won't be able to register so that means one person can use my 22 and we can also share our other 22s. The person attempting to coordinate that event does not own any 22s other than a bolt action which he stated would not be appropriate. I will share what Colycat said about possible loaners with the person attempting to make things happen the beginning of July.

Colycat- May I share your e-mail address with the man trying to pull together the outing for the 6 youth the beginning of July? I don't have anything to do with the planning of that outing... I only told him it would be a wholesome experience if he could work out the logistics of attending.  A shortage of 22s could end up being a stumbling block for him. 

Dogbreath- Yes, the username definitely made me giggle. When I saw it my first thoughts were the dog we once had that would sneak "turd treats" out of our cat litter box every time she could get downstairs. Ewwww. 

dogbreath

^:)^

Well I do talk a lot of smack ;)  So I am sure some people will perceive it as cat poop...hence the name. :)

Tank Girl

It was definitely cold but, had a GREAT time.  Might show up on Sunday for the Bristol shoot in May.  Else, I'll be back to Racine.