News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Self Reliance Expos for 2012 Confirmed

Started by Prone to Knit, March 31, 2012, 01:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

These are the confirmed Self Reliance Expos for 2012 as of this morning:

Colorado Springs, Colorado May 18-19

Dallas, Texas July 26-28

Hickory, North Carolina September 14-15

Mesa, Arizona October 26-27

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/

Shoots and LibrarySeeds scheduled soon after those dates are sure to be well attended.

Jim and I will be at each of these expos and are the contacts with the Self Reliance Expo group. Approximately one month before each event we will notify the involved states to start getting an instructor team together to work the expo.

Why are they going back to Dallas so soon after being there in February?

About a month ago they got a call from the Glenn Beck group. Glenn Beck is doing a Restoring Love Conference in Dallas July 26-28.  They have apparently already pre-sold 75-100,000 tickets.

They wanted to have some sort of preparedness expo going on at the same time in that area. They shopped around and decided on the Self Reliance Expo.

Restoring Love will be in the Cowboy Stadium.  Across the street at the Sheridan Hotel will be the registration for that conference along with ticket sales for the Self Reliance Expo. The SRE will be promoted by the Glenn Beck group.

Across the way at the Convention Center, the Self Reliance Expo will be held on July 26-28 and Appleseed will be there!

How exciting is that?

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Two Wolves

Hope I get called to work! ~ Two Wolves  ::)
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Nero

Here's an off-the-wall question: 

Other than this Dallas one-off, do you know how the SRE folks are picking the sites for their shows?  Some sort of market or demographic model?  Based on past experience / sales data of some sort?  (Seems like their folks are our kind of folks, so worth asking.)
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Prone to Knit

Nero:

From the Self Reliance Expo website:

Attendee Demographics:
98% are Homeowners
Average Household Income $70,000 or more
Attendees are Your next customers - they paid to come, and they come for a reason
44% Who Attend Plan to Begin their Self Reliance Program Within 30 Days - They are Making Decisions NOW
34% Plan on Beginning a Self Reliance Program Within 31-180 Days
14% Plan on Starting Self Reliance Preparedness within 12 Months

These tend to be held in high-population areas. They started in Salt Lake City as that area of the country has always had a focus on preparing for emergencies.  Many of their vendors are from Utah.

Beyond that, I don't know how they pick the areas.  The vendors voice their opinions and certainly many people have asked for the expo to come to their area.  We didn't know until this morning's radio show (Jim, oneshot_onehole was interviewed the first hour) that they were looking at North Carolina.  This will be their first expo east of the Mississippi.

This morning's show:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/doctorprepper/2012/03/31/backwoods-home-magazines-self-reliance-expozed

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

hawkhavn

Kim,

I'd call that 10 rounds in the V ring!
Congrats!
HH

p.s.  Hmmm, next question , do we know anyone in North Carolina...
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com