News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

After Appleseed Events (or what's next?)

Started by mac3647, March 31, 2012, 07:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac3647

Pondering  ??? what other A/S around Iowa(or other places) do.  Since we have on site camping at CATALPA CREEK RANGE, we have considered a cook out/pot luck on Saturday night.  I would like to hear what some others have done. I can picture hearing dangerous old men stories sitting around a camp fire!  (boy I am really ready for the April event    ^:)^  )
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"  Thomas Jefferson

Foppish Dandy

Quote from: mac3647 on March 31, 2012, 07:36:08 AM
Pondering  ??? what other A/S around Iowa(or other places) do.  Since we have on site camping at CATALPA CREEK RANGE, we have considered a cook out/pot luck on Saturday night.  I would like to hear what some others have done. I can picture hearing dangerous old men stories sitting around a camp fire!  (boy I am really ready for the April event    ^:)^  )

When I'm at Piru or Corona (here in CA), I'll pretty much always camp out. Some places give you a bit more freedom than others regarding what you can do as far as bonfires and whatnot.  I actually love going out Friday night after work to get an extra evening in.

I haven't run into a lot of non-instructors that will camp out... maybe it's because we're so spoiled to have a lot of locations within a two-hour drive for most.  I've always had a great time with the people that do say out... Spent a great evening by the bonfire talking with GoneJohnny about marksmanship, history, community and the true importance of Appleseed.

Personally, I think it's something that would be great to encourage more shooters to do. It extends the time we have with them and turns a weekend event into a really easy mini-vacation.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Miller

So Mac, should I pack a bag of marshmallows, a box of graham crackers, and a few bars of Hershey's for the April shoot?
Fearful but resolute.

mac3647

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"  Thomas Jefferson

mac3647

Thinking about pre seed activities:  Camp fire,  cook out,  sing along,      :DH:       ????? hmmmmm. maybe not the singing! (course my pre seed activities are usually running around like    :D mad getting the grass mowed, target backs replaced, lines painted, restrooms cleaned ........)  boy singing don''t sound so bad now.....   A good time for Info exchange among the HATS.   Looking forward to whatever happens and meeting new friends!    :--- and of course some shooting!  :~

Miller

I should be on site by early afternoon on the 20th Mac.
Last I checked I knew how to use a paint can and a stapler and have been spotted pushing a mower around once or twice.  Though SWMBO might laugh at the idea I can even scrub down a crapper. 

As for singing....
As a kindness to others I try not to.
I will be tossing my collected works of Robert Service in the car though.
His Alaska/Yukon stuff goes well with a fire.
Fearful but resolute.

mac3647

Will be working on the facilities this weekend, getting ready for next weekend's A/S!   Looking forward to having a bunch of good people out and doing.  Thanks    :bow: to Triumphman and Roger for their help on the range,  and KarenRmc for all the mowing! hours and hours of mowing!!!!  (is that part of her Blue hat duties?)   ??? 

Sly223

Some Great times have been spent Sat. nights around the camp fires.
Rocky Creek Ranch is a wonderful world class shooting facility.
With over 15000 acres of presstine Fla wilderness a 25m 2 500m and 2 1000 yrd ranges and very accommodating facility that's as nice as you can afford from camping to staying in the loft of the lodge.
This place is historic, and enough can not be said about the facility or the Proprietors the Baiden's!
Anyone who reads this thread, visit there Webb site or better yet their facility. O0
Check out some of the AAr's for RCR FL :~
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Miller

Everybody cross your fingers for clear skies Saturday night.
The Lyrid meteor shower will be that night.  While not as heavy as some other, better known, meteor showers the fact that we'll be away from city lights and have a dark, new moon sky means the viewing should be pretty good. 
Fearful but resolute.