News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR BELLEVUE, MI MARCH 17-18 2012

Started by Superheat, March 18, 2012, 11:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

Another great weekend at Bellevue.  Some old friends and some new ones. 

Three weeks ago I was in Lapeer wearing snow pants and holding hand warmers! 
This weekend we were wearing SHORTS!  And it is still winter!   Folks Michigan is supposed to be cold right now.   Somehow, Bellevue always delivers wonderful weather.  Fenton please sit up and take notes (inside joke it always seems to rain in fenton, unless it's snowing).

Although the weather was great, it paled in comparison to the rest of the weekend.

Mizu57 aka: Lester, took his tech-sights and 57% over the hump and scored rifleman.

Spiderbite aka: Ken, squashed the AQT and wore a GIANT smile  ;D all day Sunday.

Brent traded in a stock ruger for a loaner and shot two rifleman scores in a row, not bad for his first Appleseed.  He also put a huge lump in the shootboss's throat by giving us the honor of flying his flag.  You see Brent brought the flag that he flew on 9/11 while serving in Iraq.  It was flown with pride on Sunday.   WOW and HUZZAH!  (Burbs your flag pole stands a little taller now)

But the best thing of all was seeing Jake having a BLAST shooting.  Jake has a lot of challenges in his life.  We honestly didn't think he would ever be able to shoot.  But in true Appleseed fashion we adapted and over came.  Jake was assigned his own instructor.  He memorized the safety rules, knows how to make his rifle safe and can even put a loop sling on properly.   

Hats off to my instructors.  Not one of them complained or ever asked to be relieved.  I am humbled by our staff.

PICTURES!  Grinder you are officially ordered to post LOTS of pics.   ~~:)

Thank you to 3dogs, scorpion, sam-i-am and Pinky for helping out. 

I'll be back to Bellevue soon.   You don't know what you are missing.  ;D

Superheat

Superheat

mac66

Great "winter" weather (please pass the sun screen), great people (as usual) to share the weekend with, great history to be inspired by, and a great time was had by all.

And what can I say, Jakester was THE MAN! O0

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Rascal21

Couple of pictures from my phone. Will post more later:

Sunrise Saturday Morning :)

MI-copperhead

Dang ! I knew I was going to miss something by not being there Sunday. Lester, my shooting partner from October, congrats on making Rifleman, with iron sights no less! I knew you could do it  O0 .  Congratulations to Ken and Brent as well in joining the swelling ranks of Riflemen in Michigan.  ..:.. It was thought provoking to have that historic number of 13 for shooters on Saturday. Jake getting the opportunity to shoot is the true spirit of Appleseed. The Appleseed instructors will do everything in their power to give you the opportunity to make the most of yourself. Whether it is just shooting for the first time , achieving Rifleman status or the highest honor of becoming a "Hat" and helping others to achieve. Just thinking of the sacrifice the instructors make for us puts a lump in my throat. Superheat, Madhatter, Mac, Greybeard, Rascal, Grindstone, and Larry. To you I cheer .. HUZZA! HUZZA! HUZZA!
Thanks to Superheat and Grindstone for their help in my attempt at "Rockin with the M1A" (humm, there might just be a song in that title  :slap: ) I still have issues to work out  :DH: but I did surpass my best standing  position score (40) with the M1A,  with all 10 rounds on the target.  ^:)^ Thanks to all who got off the couch this weekend as it shows there are still some who care. We are not out of the woods yet, but " there are men ( and women) amongst us who know very well what they are about"
God bless and keep you all.
God willing I'll be back in April for more mat time at Bellevue.

Earl
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Grindstone

For me it was a great first shoot of the year. Got to make a bunch of great new friends.

Here's the highlight reel. These have been re-sized to fit the forum; the full size ones and more that didn't make the cut are here:
http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/Qn2m7g4DE/

mac66

Bellevue is one of my favorite places to have an Appleseed. We get treated exceptionally well and have made lot of friends there.  I am reminded by looking at the photos that at one of our shoots last fall we had the left side of the line consisting of the following...well...friends now.

Stacy
Ken
Earl
Ian
Lester 
At the other end we had Rich.

It was and honor to be there when all eventually shot rifleman and when Stacy and Rich took an Orange Hat.

Special thanks to John and Heather who put some of us up for the night and Brent for sharing his flag with us. 

I love Appleseed people!
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Mizu57

And so,  the day finally arrived where I was able to take all the lessons, patience and encouragement given by the instructors, and actually translate it onto the target.
It is amazing to me what a group of dedicated instructors in conjunction with an excellent program have been able to accomplish.
Before attending my first appleseed, my marksmanship consisted mostly of pointing the blasty end in the general direction of the target and hoping for a hit.
They have taken this non-hunting, lifelong city boy and taught him how to shoot accurately.
Even more important, the history and biographies of our forefathers brought to life at every appleseed, is a much needed reminder that we do indeed stand on the shoulders of giants.

I would like to thank Superheat and Mac66.
The two of you were at every Appleseed I have attended. Your encouragement, wisdom, and humor are much appreciated.
Graywolf - thanks for pointing out that I shouldn't be trying to choke out the forestock with my kung-fu death grip   :)
And to all the orange,red and green hats I haven't named, this rifleman thanks you.
Because you were there.
HUZZAH!

P.S. Sorry I missed you by a day Earl. Congrats on your rifleman achievement!!
       Don't be surprised if you see me on the line next to you with an M1A one of these days :)

MI-copperhead

Quote from: Mizu57 on March 20, 2012, 01:53:15 PM
  Sorry I missed you by a day Earl. Congrats on your rifleman achievement!!
       Don't be surprised if you see me on the line next to you with an M1A one of these days :)

Thanks Lester and like you I couldnt have gotten there with out all those great instructors!  O0 I just wish I could have done Sunday as well to see you make Rifleman. And yes I hope to see you rockin an M1A one of these days as well.  :--- Congrats again and liberty and fidelity to you !
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Sparty

Hello.....this is Heather

I had a great time at the shoot.  I didn't get a chance to thank all of the instructors for all of their help and patience......so, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I have a lot of work to do and am going to get better so I can come back and score rifleman.
By the way...how long does it take for the feeling to come back in my sling arm anyway?

Mac:  John and I enjoyed having you guys over....you are welcome anytime.

Swamp Thing

Looks like I missed a good one. Bummer!  :'(

Congrats to Lester and Ken, proof of the persistance of a rifleman.  O0

Congrats also to Brent on a rifleman score on his first time out. Way to go hot shot! Btw, I can safely say that the story of your flag will be remembered in Appleseed history for a very long time. Thank you sir!

Heather, that's a mighty fine prone position I'm seeing in that picture. My guess is that you've got a patch in no time at all. Now get back to dry-firing.

And of course Jake, an inspiration to us all. Great job young man!

Well it looks like Appleseed is officially up and running full blast in Michigan once again. I'll see you all out there soon.

ST

Miki

Hehehe...Superheat, your first 'official' wearing of the green on St. Patrick's Day, how cool was that?

Sounds like you all had a great time.

Jake, way to go! Sorry I wasn't there to work with you.

Rascal21

;D Great first shoot of the year at Bellevue! ;D
First things first, THANK YOU ALL for all of your support to Jake! Not just this weekend, but for the past year. He has always been with us, but scared to even touch any kind of firearm. The instructing staff has not pushed him, but has shown him the safety in this sport, and slowly changed his mind. I think the final push was watching his little sister fire that musket in Lapeer in Dec. When he made the decision that he was ready, I immediately signed him up for Bellevue. He had a blast all weekend, and Pete, you made his day with the shamrock challenge. He wanted to put his flag up as soon as we walked in the door!

It was a great weekend, and the weather was amazing for March in Michigan!

Congratulations to our new riflemen :) Can't wait to see you all on the line again.

Heather, your groups looked AMAZING on Sunday!! It won't take long for you to join our ranks.

Mom has more pictures, just need to try to get them to my FB to get them posted here. As soon as I can, i will post them.

Rascal21

Sparty

Thanks Rascal  :)    and thanks for your help with sighting in my rifle on Saturday.  I look forward to working with you again soon!

Rascal21

More Photos available here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150883293740620.517595.749590619&type=1&l=4c1f6ee597

If you can't see them, PM me and I will get them out here some other way. There are 49 of them altogether!

Graywolf

What a weekend!  Fantastic weather that surprised everyone, great bunch of students, a very special flag flying on Sunday, and three new riflemen.  It doesn't get any better than that!

Congrats to Lester, Ken and Brent for making rifleman!  Well done!

Jake, you toasted the Shamrock target and that was exciting to see.  Threedogs, keep at it.  You are knocking at the door you'll get there yet.  Heather, you will get there soon too. I can see it happening soon.

Mac you did a great job calling the line on Saturday.  Hope you got your voice back by now.  Grindstone, I loved your second strike.  Well done.

Most of all, thanks to Superheat for all the work he did in preparation for this event.  Everything flowed smoothly and made for a relaxed and exciting weekend.  Thanks also to Superheat, for letting me use his rifle for shooting the squares of death and an AQT.  That is an exciting rifle to shoot and I loved it.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

D.S.S.

Hello to all of my new friends!!!

Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I was "delayed" by some forum registration issues that have since been resolved.  A profile will be built soon.

Because my son and wife attended a previous Appleseed event I had high expectations and I want you to know that those expectations were FAR exceeded!  I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped put on such a wonderful weekend AND who assisted me in attaining "Rifleman" during my first event.  So here goes nothing:
Superheat -- phenomenal leadership
Mac66 -- you brought history to life
Graywolf -- thanks for your persistence and patience with Sean
Grindstone -- your attention to detail which is second to none
Rascal21 -- for ensuring Sean and I signed up for the event
Madhatter -- for your poise in the display of proper shooting positions
If I missed someone PLEASE forgive me.
I especially want to thank Scorpion for allowing me to use one heck of a rifle!!! Also a shout-out to Noisy Cricket for supplying the cookies.  They were awesome!!
ALL of you helped me develop a very solid foundation in my marksmanship skills and MY American heritage.  HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!
See you all again REALLY soon,
Brent
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

Superheat

Diamond,
  Wow you really put some work into that avitar, nice.  Thank you for all the nice comments.  Looks like I will be back to Bellevue soon.    I hope to see you there.

Superheat.

MI-copperhead

That is a great looking avatar Brent !  O0

I signed up for the April event in Bellevue. I still have a fair bit of work to do to master my M1A  :wb:  :DH: . In the meantime I'm going to work on my NPOA and dry fire and see if I can get a friend to help me with some ball and dummy drills. See you all at the end of April
Thomas Jefferson