News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Possible "Cross-Promoting" Opportunity for AS...

Started by Barbie, March 10, 2012, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbie

I should be concentrating on work right now, but with lack of sleep, the mind wanders  :D

I got to thinking about how warmer weather is right around the corner and with that comes the inevitable state fairs of summertime.  This got me thinking back to my ol' 4-H days when I took "Shooting Sports".

Has anyone ever tried to do any "cross promoting"/reaching out of sorts with local 4-H groups, especially with those people enrolled in "Shooting Sports"?

Taken from Purdue University's 4-H website:

The 4-H shooting sports project teaches safe operation of firearms and archery equipment. Six disciplines are offered at the state level: archery, hunting, muzzleloading, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The disciplines offered in any county will depend on the availability of certified 4-H shooting sports instructors to teach the classes, ranges, and equipment.

This is a link to the Master List for the National 4-H Shooting Sports State Contacts that I came across online:

http://www.4-hshootingsports.org/state_contacts.php

Of course I'm sure there's a lot more reasearch that could yet be done in regards to this, but from what little I've done I haven't seen any AS involvement... possibly a great opportunity to reach out to the youth, and teach them not only about the safety aspect, but also about our history and being an active member of society...

Also, what about setting up a booth at various 4-H Fairs?  I think this would be a great opportunity to promote AS, and reach a lot of people who may have not otherwise heard of the AS opportunity.  I know I'd be up for volunteering to man a booth!  (well... "woman a booth"  ;D )

Just a thought!  Now back to work!   ~~:)
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Fred

Barbie, as a "newbie" you may not have heard of our rule in AS (Appleseed) that the promoter of a "good idea" is the perfect person to get it done.

You can see proof of that in the fact that currently there have been 30 views of your idea, and not one comment, much less anyone else volunteering to step up.

So, if you think this is a good idea (I happen to agree with you - it is a good idea), it's yours - and full speed ahead with it.

I'm sure over the years that various contacts with 4H have been made, and that 4H-ers have shown up at AS. Maybe someone with direct knowledge can post the details.

We need more energetically-backed ideas like this one.

@)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Barbie

Haha, although I may be a "newbie",  I'm fully aware  :)  I just don't mind stickin' my neck out there and making my busy schedule even busier! 

Full steam ahead  ~~:)
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

AuntieBellum

Barbie, great ideas!  You might want to send yellowhousejake a PM.  I know he was working on some stuff with 4-H shooting sports last year.  He's out Shoot Bossing this weekend while the rest of us bums sit on our behinds and do mundane stuff like work, so I wouldn't expect a reply until tomorrow night at the earliest.   ;)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Barbie

Thanks, I'll get around to that tonight or tomorrow... I'm unfortunately stuck doing "mundane work" this weekend also, instead of out enjoying this beautiful weather!    :'(
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Unbridled Liberty

Barbie,

Let us know if you get anywhere.  I've been pokin' 'em with a stick here in Kentucky for about a year with no response.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Barbie

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on March 11, 2012, 12:59:39 PM
Barbie,

Let us know if you get anywhere.  I've been pokin' 'em with a stick here in Kentucky for about a year with no response.

UL

Will do.   O0
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Barbie

Update!

I recieved an e-mail from Shanna Joseph  - Manager of Ripley County Parks & Recreation.  She recieved the email I had sent her, and actually herself visited the AS website.  After telling her about Project Appleseed, and tying it in with 4-H she seemed pretty enthusiastic about it. 

She put my name/Project Appleseed down on the waiting list for booth space (either indoor/outdoor, I told her we'd take whatever was available).  We'll know by April 30th whether or not we were able to secure a spot, they need to hear who's coming back from last year's booths first (there's only 4-5 others on the waiting list, and beings that I said we're open to either indoor or outdoor space, I'm optimistic). 

@AuntieBellum- I PM'd yellowhousejake like you suggested.

@ UnbridledLiberty-  Have you tried contacting local parks & recreation managers?  This may be the way to go!

More details to come as it gets closer to April 30th

^:)^
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

SPQR

HQ and I are taking over the rifle Shooting Sport in Greene Co. 4-H.  I decided to circumvent the whole promotions thing and we are going to host Appleseeds there.  I will teach the kids how to outshoot their parents and tell the parents if they want to figure out how, come to a seed.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: SPQR on March 12, 2012, 12:17:17 PM
HQ and I are taking over the rifle Shooting Sport in Greene Co. 4-H.  I decided to circumvent the whole promotions thing and we are going to host Appleseeds there.  I will teach the kids how to outshoot their parents and tell the parents if they want to figure out how, come to a seed.

Aren't you the sly one...
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Barbie on March 12, 2012, 11:51:26 AM
...@ UnbridledLiberty-  Have you tried contacting local parks & recreation managers?  This may be the way to go!

^:)^

Great idea, thank you.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Barbie

I like the way you think  O0
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

grunt soldier

lol that is funny stuff right there.  good thinking sir :)
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

SPQR

Prior to me taking it over they were shooting 5 rounds from a bag and bench at 10 meters per club meeting, boy are they in for it now.  I even convinced the council to move the berm back to 28 meters so i can start hosting Seeds there and use the range fees and concession fees to fund the 4-H program (we have 6 rifles for 43 kids).  All I did was explain what my safety curriculum would look like and why trajectory and IMC made a 25 meter line critical and the SS director sat in silence for several seconds and then said, "Whatever you want".  If this works I hope to host as many as 4 seeds there next year and hopefully 2 this fall.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Barbie

Quote from: SPQR on March 13, 2012, 09:03:25 PM
"Whatever you want".  If this works I hope to host as many as 4 seeds there next year and hopefully 2 this fall.

Yea!  That's great.   O0
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Charles McKinley

My brother and I will be working with our local club this year in Venango County, PA
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

grunt soldier

Quote from: SPQR on March 13, 2012, 09:03:25 PM
Prior to me taking it over they were shooting 5 rounds from a bag and bench at 10 meters per club meeting, boy are they in for it now.  I even convinced the council to move the berm back to 28 meters so i can start hosting Seeds there and use the range fees and concession fees to fund the 4-H program (we have 6 rifles for 43 kids).  All I did was explain what my safety curriculum would look like and why trajectory and IMC made a 25 meter line critical and the SS director sat in silence for several seconds and then said, "Whatever you want".  If this works I hope to host as many as 4 seeds there next year and hopefully 2 this fall.

the bad part is I can just see Ol' huff just laying it on him too :)  glad to see you convinced to not only do the 4-h but host events there.  very good stuff.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Barbie

Update:  Should know sometime this month whether or not we were able to secure a spot. 

Also, while browsing the forum, came across this post from fellow AS'er Scuzzy down in Florida, and wanted to share it:

"I'd done a preparedness expo back in Feb where we setup a small shooting range with hay bale backers. We had a few Daisy BB guns. Man, was that popular. It was non stop shooting. The kids, and a few adults, had a blast.

And while the kids are busy shooting you have a captive audience with the parents standing there. Good time for 7th stepping."

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28433.0

I thought that was a great idea, setting up a "mini-range" using Redcoats and AQT's... maybe some of us if given the chance can "steal" Scuzzy's idea

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Reddot

Oakley,
oneshot_onehole and Prone to Knit from Colorado are the masters of the pellet gun/hay bale range.  They're the ones that set up the one Scuzzy mentioned (it was actually done in Mesquite, TX, not Florida).  And Scuzzy wasn't kidding about being busy--we went non-stop for about 9 hours on a Saturday with the range--wasn't just kids either--quite a few adults were very interested in the program--a couple of the folks that we met at the expo were at the Appleseed in Fort Worth the following weekend.

Sly223

Great job Barbie,
do you have any relatives in Fl?
Do you want to move here we need one of you in each state!
Newbie or not you are doin' great stuff kid, keep up the good work! ;D
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Ramblin' Wreck

We're already cross promoting. Here is my daughter Regan's 4H DPA presentation which took 1st place in NW Georgia recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSmv788CTM

Use it as you see appropriate.

She shot a 227 last August and will get her orange hat, now that she turned 13, at the next Appleseed she attends.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Barbie

@ Reddot-  Thanks for letting me know the masters of the pellet gun/hay bale range.  Great idea folks  O0

@Sly223-  I don't know if I could handle living in Florida and having sunny, warm weather AS's all the time  ;D

@ Ramblinwreck-  Awesome!  I hope it brings more people into the program.  O0

@ Regan-  You go girl!  Great job on the presentation   ^:)^
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com