News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATS, NY 03/04 MAR 2012 (Winterseed) AAR

Started by sgtrock, March 04, 2012, 09:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

The Winter Appleseed at Burlington Flats that almost wasn't, with temps in the high 40's and sunny I was beginning to wonder if we were to have proper weather to shoot this weekend, but as it turned out it was quite nice to have good weather for the students to try and absorb all the instruction that they received. Thru all the drills on the squares targets and then a practice  AQT we were ready to go.
    We ended Saturday with the required instruction performed, groups that were shrinking and positions improving, redcoats that looked good,,,
    Sunday and the weather,,, total change from Saturday,,, 15 degree drop in temps with wind picking up and becoming quite strong, high temp forecasted to be 32, but dropped by us to around 25 with south east 15 mph winds and snow showers that became quite heavy at times made things quite frigid, with muddy ground, I thought to myself now we have a winterseed going on here.
    The students all kept a great attitude and a determination to persevere thru this day. They did great, the groups were looking good on the targets, With 3 very new shooters Nicholas, Zachary, and Kristofer all juniors, doing a fantastic job. These young Patriots will do well in the future with anything they decide to do, but for this weekend it was self- improvement that was the job at hand. I will give them one more event and they will be shooting expert, they're scores were very respectable and they know what they need to do for improvement, Kristofer's uncle Kyle was next to him shooting, His scores was in the high 180's, plus he was also our Paramedic with his (tool kit) that was not needed.     
    Folks, I was very please with the level of safety that these guys maintained during the weekend, very nice. I sure hope that they will all return to another event in the near future, I am sure they will.
  Then we have IIT Mph_VT, Alan, everybody knows Alan in these parts of the north east, He,,, as Always, did repeat rifleman scores, but in all honesty, he is one tuff man, I think he likes coming to B-Flats for the weather and the level of difficulty that seems to prevail here, nice job my friend, you are welcome here anytime.
   With the relatively small group we had, and three instructors my IIT CountryBoy243 got on the line and shot, an AQT (with no sight-in) a very nice 239, proves that the skills that you learn will stick with you, He is 15 yrs old by the way, and can shoot a riflemans score on demand, He is becoming a fine instructor that I am glad to have on the RWVA Burlington Flats Team,,, Thank you for the help working this shoot with us.
   And Thanks to fellow Shoot Boss Odin (Dan B.) for giving me a hand working this shoot. It is becoming well known that when he and I are on the same range at any given time the weather will most likely be,,,, shall we say (seasonal) (inclement),,, big smile as I wrote that,,,
   This was a great shoot to start the year off in central NY, and a great warm up for next months Appleseed Signature Shoot, The true Patriots Day, what a fine time it will be, the trees will be budding and the range will be muddy, it doesn't get any better than that folks.

I would like thank the Burlington Flats Fish and Game Club for hosting this event and to all the students that came, learned and did Very Well, Till the next time, Dry Fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire,,,

sgtrock

Will add more later and some pictures as well,,,

Spartan

SGT Rock!!!
Sounds like a great Appleseed!!!  Way To Go HOAAH HOAAH and a high 5!
"With your shield or on it"

sgtrock

Thank you Spartan

This was a very nice shoot indeed, just great people to have at a shoot, very attentive and full of energy,,,

Josey Wales

..sgtrock,

..Burlington Flats has been very good to Project Appleseed, a Big Thanks to the club!!.  Thanks Stoner for always putting on a grade A shooting event.  Our paths will cross again on the trail....Bless......
..Odin and CountryBoy243 Great Job.... "Dum vita est, spes est".........

.........Strength & Honor.............Josey Wales..............     
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

R1SGx2

One never knows where MPH is going to show up with his smile. Alan is always on the move.

Rock, again  O0 O0 O0 Thank you for all you do.

Odin, stay in the game, don't let the weather Rock brings with him discourage you.

Country Boy, Nice work.

Burlington Flats, thank you for all you do for AS.

Thank you to all who participated. As was the case on April 19, 1775, the call is out to save our Nation.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

As always, Stoner brings out the best in the weather and shooters!!   :---  As the shooters no doubt found out.....they were among the best.  I have no doubt one and all learned a great deal and had lots of fun.  Hope to meet you all on the trail.

Burlington Flats in March....been there, done that, bought the t-shirt  :)  Sorry we missed this one, but will try to get out sometime this year.

Nice thing for everyone is that it was Saturday with the unseasonably nice weather.  When the ice patch was on the line, Burlington Flats did not fail.

What a great instuctor crew there in mid-state.  CountryBoy is always more than ready, and Odin knows his stuff.  Alan---what can you say about Alan.  The man loves to travel.  What an asset to AS.

Burlington Flats Fish and Game is a wonderful venue.  They are a great bunch of people, a beautuful place, and so supportive of Appleseed.  Can't ever thank you enough!!

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

LittleMo

Project Appleseed at Burlington Flats in early March = Winterseed! Come to think of it, I think I've been there only once for a nice weather weekend. Other times it has been cold, raining, snowing, hot, even a hurricane! But the shooters always show us all that a Rifleman persists, and they did just that again this weekend!

The students had a great instructor crew lead by SgtRock! Thank you all for providing great instruction to the students.

Thank you to Burlington Flats F&G for being a strong supporter of Appleseed. A huge Thank You to the shooters for coming and becoming involved. O0

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Odin

This was a good event.  All the shooters did well and showed great improvement over the course of the weekend.  I hope to see them all back on the line at another event.

I couldn't be there Saturday morning due to work, but I believe that the weather was actually "nice."  I think this time I brought the better shooting weather, or as Sgtrock put it seasonal and inclement.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took this weekend.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

sgtrock

Hey guys
Thank you for all the supportive comments, but you all know that we are only orchestrator's of the shoots we do. The students are what makes the shoots, this was a very nice group to have on the line, just wish we had more time to do more for them.
Stay tuned for the next shoot coming right up in April. 
   Here are somemore pictures as promised.

(quote from LittleMo)
Other times it has been cold, raining, snowing, hot, even a hurricane! But the shooters always show us all that a Rifleman persists, and they did just that again this weekend!

The part about a hurricane is what sticks in my mind the most, (indelibly)
That is when the lights went out when we were shooting indoors for safety reasons that day and TheMrs. passed her IIT3 PC under flashlights at the target line with her conducting IMC instruction to the students,,, now that was just to good to ever forget, And She Nailed It.
   Yes there have been some really memorable times here at the OL' Flats and Hopefully more to come.
    I look forward to the next one,
   Gary and Sue hope to see you soon, for another great weather day at Flats.

sgtrock 

Mph_VT

Sunday it was the most perfect weather.

How can you go to Burlington Flats in and expect less.

The weather made it rigorous. It was ever so good the see shooters in the snow, hardy people, the roots of this country.  The field was frozen when we arrived, but the sun peeking thru occasionally enough to warm the ice into shallow pools of icy water; my mats become saturated (I got home and ordered a Midway PVC coated mat, no more blankets). When focused on my front sight the snow squalls totally obscured the 400yd targets making npoa critical.

It was a sterling day.

I always look forward to getting back to Burlington Flats (05.11 Sergeant!) I totally feel at home on top of that hill.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen